Cover Image: The Golden Couple

The Golden Couple

The Golden Couple written by Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen is a family drama meets thriller.  Marisa seems to have it all: a handsome lawyer husband, her own top end store and a little boy she adores. Then why does she cheat? The couple ends up meeting with Avery, a therapist who has lost her license for questionable practices. Avery’s method promises results in only 10 sessions.
Things I loved about the audiobook. One the narrators. You truly felt the personality of each character. Second, the dueling writing styles. I wasn’t sure I would like two authors, but I think it brought the two women characters unique voices to life. Third, the twist. You have to read or listen to it find out but I’m telling you it’s worth it.
Thank you NetGalley for allowing me to listen to this audiobook in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Thanks to Netgalley for this latest read!

I wasn't really sure what to expect Greer Hendricks latest book so it's was good to go in with a blank slate and follow the journey. It felt like a slow burn, taking us through the journey of a couple going to therapy to start to repair their marriage. It all seems straight forward except for a few red flags that some of us IRL might not go for. There's quite a bit of twisting and turning as the story is told from multiple perspectives.

While enjoyable to listen to,  it wasn't one of my favorites and didn't feel as much of a "thriller" as I thought it would be. There's some creepy stuff for sure, but I spent most of my time waiting for a big jump in the action that would make me want to sit listening for hours and do nothing else.

Kind of bummed, but still glad I got the experience.
When a marriage hits a rough patch most couples seek out professional help.  Marissa and Mathew Bishop were no different.  They were recommended to a therapist Avery Chambers.  Avery's methods are out of the ordinary and in 10 very in depth sessions couples will be on their way back to each other.  At least that is the plan but as Avery learns more and more about Marissa and Mathew's relationship she realizes there are a few more than two people in this marriage. For me the first part of the book was slow but not so that I'd DNF it.  As pieces started to reveal the puzzle I couldn't stop listening.
The book is told through two perspectives Avery and Marissa.  The narrator did an excellent job of giving me their unique personalities.  I love a good book but have seen some destroyed by the narrator.  This was not one of those books.  I highly recommend sitting back and listening.
Two words come to mind when trying to describe this book: perfection and obsession.

Marissa and Matthew are perfect, the golden couple, but after one night on infidelity they come to Avery Chambers, a rogue therapist, to save their marriage. Lies, secrets, and threads lead everywhere, but as you read you slowly connect them together in this psychological thriller.

Thank you @netgalley and @macmillanaudio for the advanced audiobook to review. The performance was excellent and I couldn’t stop listening.
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for a free copy of this audiobook in exchange for an honest review.
I both loved and hated this book? The main story was great. I didn’t know who was good, bad, or in between. I was guessing up until the last minute. The tension was there and I didn’t want to put it down.
However, there was a side story that was semi-woven into the main one that just felt … unnecessary? There was no big ending and it was just disappointing. The book would have been just as good, if not better, without it.
That said, I would still recommend this to thriller lovers!
This book was compulsively readable and kept me hooked with all the drama, what a domestic thriller! With it's twists and turns it kept me guessing. I liked the alternating chapters of Avery and  Marissa. The demise of Mathew I honestly didn't see coming! That was a surprise to me. Overall, this book was so entertaining to me. I'd recommend it to anyone that enjoys thrillers... It seems like it would be a good pick to be made into a movie! Maybe a Netflix production is in the works?

The narrator was pleasant to my ears as well. I would seek her out for other audiobooks I thought she did a great job! 👍🏼

Thank you to Netgalley and publishers for the advanced e-arc in exchange for my honest review.
📖 Book Review 📚
The Golden Couple
By: Greer Hendricks & Sarah Pekkanen
⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️/5

Oh wow. I needed a minute after finishing this audiobook to process. It’s a roller coaster my friends. Holy cow. This is another one of those books where everyone is lying, and behind every truth there is another slew of lies. Who can you trust? Who’s intentions are good and who’s are nefarious? There are red herrings abound here, reminiscent of classic whodunnit’s.

Avery gives me major Kinsey Millhone vibes. I just love her and I am going to hold out hope for another book featuring her. Or better yet, a series. This was a binge worthy listen, I started it this morning and basically couldn’t put it down.

Swipe ➡️ to read the publishers summary.

I was excited to read this book when I heard it was a BOTM pick, and was even more excited to receive an ALC copy. Thank you so much to the authors @greerhendricks & @sarahpekkanen @macmillan.audio and @stmartinspress for the advanced copy of this book.
It was very entertaining and definitely a page-turner. If you like  psychological thrillers, this is  a good one!  I found this just as enjoyable as the other novels by this writing duo - the novel is what you expect from them (lots of twists and tense scenes!).
This book was archived before I had time to read it, so I am not able to give accurate feedback. Thank you for the opportunity, sorry I was unable to get to it in time.
My 5⭐️ read drought is over!!! It’s been awhile since I’ve had a solid 5⭐️ read and I’m so happy I finally have one again!

This is my first book by this duo and I’m sure I’ll be reading more of their books! I like that the main plot is introduced within the first 3 chapters because I have zero attention span and I need fast paced thrillers.

Basically, the main characters are a husband/ wife power couple seeking the advice of a non traditional therapist/ consultant to help fix their marriage ruined by infidelity.

I love the dual POV and the carefully dissected analysis of the couple’s relationship. I also love love the pacing. I can’t stop reading this as soon as I started so I’m thankful I got the audiobook copy so I could keep listening to it while I drive or take care of my adult responsibilities (like laundry🙄)

This book just keeps you on your toes and it keeps you guessing about what will happen next. I usually like guessing the ending of thrillers but the way that this story is told, kind of distracts you from that which means - yes, it’s very unpredictable and after 75% of the book, I started developing trust issues because I feel like every one could be the villain. 😂

I love the buildup of the suspense right before the ending reveal as well.

Do I recommend? YES!
Masterful storytelling by Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen.  Therapist Avery Chambers takes on new clients in Marissa and Matthew.  The story is gripping and intense, with several twists and turns, leading up to a surprising ending.  All is not what it seems.   This was my first book by these authors, and I'll definitely be looking for more from them in the future.
The perfect couple has a chink in its armor. Matthew and Marissa have reached out to an unconventional therapist to help them get back on track after Marissa had an affair. Avery's methods make for more than life reflection by the couple: they have to engage in uncomfortable ways to get their marriage back on track. The path to reconciliation seems straight forward until the “other man” turns out to have a past history with the couple. With this discovery a long buried secret arises that turns their reunion into a nightmare.
   Avery, the therapist, has her own problems running parallel within the story. She is receiving physical and emotional threats after her patient, a whistle blower from a major company, confided in her in therapy. Now that company wants Avery to divulge who it was but her professional principals of non disclosure prevents that and puts her in harms’ way.
   An exciting psychological thriller with quality narration.
Avery Chambers is a psychologist who has decided to take a not so traditional approach to treating her clients. Unfortunately, she has lost her license. Since losing her license, however, she is even in more demand.

Marissa and Matthew, the perfect couple have just begun counseling with Avery. The golden couple seem to have everything. A beautiful home, lots of money and a wonderful son, Bennett. Avery offers a ten-session program that she swears can fix any problem. Can she fix Marissa and Matthew's problem, or has she bitten off more than she can chew? So many twists and turns in this book and it kept me guessing until the very end! (less)
★★★★★ (5 Stars)
"They don't look like a couple in trouble, but appearances are often misleading."

As someone who took a step back from thrillers for a while so I could find my enjoyment for the genre again, this book roped me in so well and hit every mark for what I like.

In The Golden Couple we follow two different people: Avery Chambers and Marissa Bishop. Avery is a therapist who has recently lost her license due to her non-traditional and somewhat controversial methods. Despite this, her methods work, which is why she takes her 10 sessions guideline and carries on privately. One day, a woman named Marissa calls, wanting to bring her husband Mathew along to work out some marriage issues. The marriage issues mentioned are regarding infidelity, but could there possibly be more going on behind the perfect façade of the couple? After all, they appear golden even to Avery, but she still has her doubts. Could there still be even more darker secrets still hidden?

The story takes you through the issues within the Bishop's relationship along with Avery's personal life. I had such a hard time pausing this story as it was so gripping. There were so many twists and turns, puzzles and questions to figure out, and you never really knew if you could trust any of the characters. The pacing of this story was great, and the way that the plot unraveled was masterful and put you on the edge of your seat. It was so fascinating being able to delve deeper into why people cheat, what personal struggles they are dealing with, and also what therapists go through while having to sort out so many other lives.

pros:
These. Characters. Oh. My. Word. They were incredible, absolutely incredible. Every single character, from the main to the side ones, even to Romeo the dog, all contributed to the story. They all fit into the flow and helped drive the plot forward. There was no character that was an odd on out from the group; they all had a part to play, whether minor or major, and each had their own unique quality. I was able to remember the different names so well as each individual stood out as their own, none seemed the same.

Avery rescuing Romeo was one of the sweetest parts of this book. It was such a nice addition to the story, and I loved how it developed not only Avery but side characters as well.

THE. PLOT. TWIST. Did I see it coming? No, not until a couple minutes before it happened. Should I have seen it coming? I did have a sneaking suspicion, but I always doubt every single character, so I didn't fully trust my assumption. However, even with the slight assumption I made, I came nowhere close to guessing the entirety of the twist. If anyone did, props to you, because it was so well-developed and hidden that you'd think yourself crazy for predicting correctly. I just can't believe how genius that was. I hope to someday write a twist that jaw-dropping, because that takes some serious writing talent. This story really makes you think (which I absolutely love when books do this), and it keeps you trying to guess several different truths throughout the entirety of the novel.

Marin Ireland is my absolute favorite narrator of all time. I try to listen to any book that she has narrated, which is how I stumbled across this novel originally. Her voice fit Avery's so perfectly, and there's no other narrator I'd want for her. She does such an excellent job doing other voices as well, and her style is so incredible. I'd never heard of the other narrator before, Karissa Vacker, but she was so amazing as well. With two women narrators, I worried with how similar they would send, but they were completely different. The pitches of their voices are distinct and not like the others, which made it feel like these two characters were really talking to me, sharing their thoughts.

I also thought that the music at the start and end of the audiobook was a nice addition.

To contribute to the narrators both adding such a unique touch to their characters, the writing style also made these characters not sound the same. I've read a few books where, even though there are two different POVs, the characters feel like the same person, but that's definitely not the case here. I'm actually not sure how Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen split the writing, and maybe one writes Avery and the other writes Marisa, but even so, I appreciated how different they were as characters.

I also loved the ending. Endings can honestly make or break a story for me, and I loved the way it wrapped up. There were no loose ends, and it ended in an open enough way that you know the characters stories aren't over, but you can part of the great things ahead of them.

cons:
I honestly can't think of any cons. Normally when I rate books five stars, there are a few issues that I ignore since I loved the story so much, but I really can't think of problems I had with this novel.

I would 100% recommend this book. I normally read cutesy YA or NA contemporary romances, and I couldn't get enough of this story. So, even if thriller isn't your regular genre, I still wholeheartedly recommend getting this book as soon as you can, especially the audio version.

I'll definitely reread (or should I say relisten) to this book at some point. I already miss the characters and even the places so much.

Trigger Warnings (TW): profanity, infidelity, murder, death, and gun violence

Thank you so much to NetGalley and Macmillan Audio for sharing this story with me in exchange for an honest review.

Review posted to Instagram (@a.bookish.plant.lover) and Goodreads (goodreads.com/abookishplantlover)
Note: Review has now been published to Amazon (account is ABookishPlantLover)
Thank you to @macmillanaudio and @netgalley for an advanced audio copy of The Golden Couple in exchange for my honest review!
💍 Synopsis: Marissa & Matthew seem to have the perfect life, that is until Marissa cheats. Hoping to salvage their marriage, Marissa convinces her husband to go to counseling. She chooses Avery as their therapist… Avery who recently lost her license due to her unconventional methods of treating her patients.
💍 Thoughts: The Golden Couple started off really strong! I was immediately hooked - who doesn’t love that! The book is told through the alternating viewpoints of Marissa (wife) and Avery (therapist) and for me that was a win. It was definitely different than the alternating husband/wife narratives we usually see in domestic thrillers! I loved how things started out feeling like they were all over the place but slowly began to weave themselves together. The Golden Couple kept me interested the entire time I listened to it… although if I’m honest, I felt a little underwhelmed by the ending and I’m left feeling like this one will be pretty forgettable for me.
I often feel this way about the ending of thrillers though!
Overall though, I’m giving it ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ because it hooked me from the start and kept me intrigued until the end!
*I was granted an audio ARC of The Golden Couple from St. Martin's Press and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.*

I have read every single book written by Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen as co-authors. I've been anxiously awaiting the release of The Golden Couple, and was very pleased to be granted an audio ARC edition for review. I love the back and forth style between characters and the way the authors keep you guessing until the end. This book was no different.

I need to add here - I love the use of 2 narrators for the 2 different characters "telling" the story - this was the first audio book I'd listened too that had more than one narrator.

We start with Avery Chambers, maverick therapist, who lost her license to practice but still works with people and couples as a counselor with unusual methods. I immediately think that Avery is going to be the problem - she's acting as a therapist without a valid license, after all. The tone of voice Avery's narrator used was absolutely perfect. She sounds bored, very detached from the people she's with and situations she's a part of.

Avery meets the Bishops - Marissa and Matthew - after Marissa hires her to help them work through marital issues - except Matthew isn't aware there are any marital issues between them. Marissa drops a bomb on Matthew in their first visit - the first of 10 sessions with Avery, each with a specific theme/goal in mind.

The chapters alternate between Avery and Marissa, with Avery's chapters being told in the first person while Marissa's are told in the third person.

As the book progresses, many things start to happen in the Bishops' lives that seem to be separate from Marissa's confession at their first session. At the same time, things are happening in Avery's life and she's become very watchful and distrustful of those around her. Avery's world collides with the Bishops' world when she shows up at their house for an impromptu session one night and finds a man she'd once dated there, a man she's recently become very distrustful of, who turns out to be an old friend of Matthew's.

There's so much more - glimpses into Avery's past with her late-husband, Marissa's overly helpful assistant Polly, Matthew's non-existent relationship with his father, the way Marissa and Matthew's son Bennett seems to be a little bit afraid of his father, past clients of Avery's that pop up and cause trouble, Matthew's ex from college who inserts herself into his life a little too much, Marissa's memories of her best friend that had been murdered at 15. Typing it out like that makes it seem like it would be too much, but Greer and Sarah write so well together and it all flows so seamlessly.

As always, I was kept guessing through the entire book, trying to figure out who the true antagonist was. The reveal was well written, leaving me in as much disbelief as Marissa. The very end of the book felt a little forced, but everything ended up pretty well tied up in the end. My only lingering question - why was Marissa's friend murdered? We know who did it in the end - although it's not necessary to know for the book to be tied up.

I gave this book 5 stars on Goodreads and Literal. Will definitely be buying a physical copy of my own and recommending it to anyone who loves a book that keeps them guessing until the end.
I loved this book! I found myself getting "lost" in the book and realizing an hour had passed. I love these authors and their ability to write a quality thriller is not lost on me.  I think that everyone needs to read or listen to this book.
I think the author made a good choice having two separate perspectives it definitely kept the story going without dragging on. Did a great job making you love and then hate the who did.
This is the first book by Hendrick and Pekkanen I have read and I can see why others love them so much. They create engaging stories with twists and turns you can see coming,

I first want to start off with what I loved. The narration for this audiobook is one the best I have ever heard. Karissa Vacker (Marissa) and Marin Ireland (Avery) infuse so much into their character that you are surprised they are not acting this out in a TV show. Ireland brings the perfect psychologist seriousness, exhaustion, and cautiousness to a therapist who has gone a little too outside the box in the past and has odd methods but truly means well. Vacker brings the perfect housewife, but also guilty and vulnerable energy to Marissa who has more secrets on the surface than she may show. This book is such a two hander that having these two actors drive the story adds so much.

What I didn't love as much is the actual story. I was engaged at first but found some of the twists to be a bit predictable. Some of the story dig drag a bit towards the middle and end.

Overall, I found this to be an fun but not unique story. I can definitely see people falling in love with this story. I actually would prefer the audiobook to the actual book as I think it adds an extra layer to the story.

Overall I would give it 3.5 stars. Thanks to NetGalley and MacMillian Audio for my early review copy for an honest review.
I've read every book published by this author duo and I have to say that THE GOLDEN COUPLE is my new favorite. This one was full of unreliable characters that kept me guessing until the end. I definitely recommend this one.