Cover Image: History Comics: The Stonewall Riots

History Comics: The Stonewall Riots

I will definitely encourage this in my library.  I also need students to be aware of the time travel aspect.
This was an interesting way to learn about a historical topic rarely seen in most schools. It starts out with a letter of introduction from a LGBTQ historian. The graphic novel is a group of three modern kids helping their abuela move and they find a picture of her with another woman. Abuela she starts telling them what it used to be like before being bisexual was considered okay. She not only tells them about it she decides to show them and somehow magically transfers them back to 1969. She takes them to the Stonewall Inn but doesn’t pay attention to the date. They just so happen to get there on the date the riots start. I was under the assumption that the riots were a one night event but this made it sound like it was a few nights. In the back the author even admits that some things are not true.  Obviously the two major figures in the stonewall riots did not meet three time traveling kids, however the author does make a very good point that history looks different to different people. So while there is no “official” account of what happened at Stonewall there are multiple different perspectives.  After talking about stonewall the book goes both forward and backward into the LGBTQ movement including the fight, gay marriage, various alliances, and organizations, etc. Overall this book was a successful introduction to the topic that would be good for middle school and might get other kids interested in finding out what really happened.
An important part of LGBTQ+ history retold in a very modern way. This story starts off with three young LGBTQ+ teens and one of their queer grandmother’s. As she explains and brings them along to the pains of the past the LGBTQ+ community has faced, each one of them finds their purpose to keep fighting in the present day. I think this is a super important comic for any age to read. It is simple, to the point and enlightening even to those who may be learning about the Stonewall Riots for the very first time. I do hope that this book lands in the hands of those seeking to learn and how to keep pushing for positive changes within and for the LGBTQ+ community!
This was a good overview of what led to the Stonewall Riots in 1969.  I liked that it also gave a bit of history of actions that occurred prior to Stonewall, as well as some highlights of what has come since, with an overall sense that there is still a lot of work to be done.
This just wasn't it. I was hoping to find another graphic novel that was history related. I don't see this holding a kid's interest. I wanted to love this, but it was so pedantic.
History Comics: The Stonewall Riots places a group of modern teenagers and their older friend back in the time of the riots. Each teenager has a different reaction to the events, but all are left with a better understanding of the movement for gay civil rights and an increased interest in maintaining and fighting for those same rights. While the actions of the characters were mostly relatable, they did come off as whiny at times. Overall, this book provides an easy to read and engaging look at a historical event that many teens probably know only the name of, if that.
A middle-grade graphic novel in which a cheerful bi abuelita takes her queer chosen family back in time to the Stonewall Inn in 1969 for a history lesson on the ongoing struggle for LGBTQ rights against racism, police brutality, homophobia & transphobia.
I think this graphic novel is a great way to teach younger generations about the Stonewall Inn Riots and LGBTQ history. I liked the art work and of course the queer grandma was extra cute. I do think the only downside of this book is that it felt like it was talking down to teens and kids, like they couldn't possibly fathom the hardships their queer elders went through. Having some of the characters in the book laugh off the real violence that was happening made the story feel very disconnected at times. I think this does a disservice to Gen Z and younger generations who may be reading this book. It definitely felt like it was written from the perspective of someone who thinks kids are only caught up in their phones and don't care about things happening in the real world. I'm not sure if other books in this series are similar to this one, but I would hope in the future that this series discusses important historical events, but not at the cost of making fun of the book's intended audience.
Overall, I think it would do the job of illustrating what happened at Stonewall and the struggles of the LGBTQ community. I liked that there was a preface to give information to set up the story and that it continued on after to the era of AIDS. I found the main characters unrealistic and not relatable. While I’m sure there are plenty of teens that aren’t informed about Stonewall, AIDS, or how the LGBTQ community was during this time period, I found the characters to be ignorant and callus toward the hardships they were encountering. Most teens that I have met have a general awareness or idea of the danger that queer elders faced. This book didn’t give teens enough credit.
Overall, I think this is an important text for kids to read. It explores the beginnings of the Gay liberation movement. I thought it gave some great details and was a good starter for kids. I wish it did give some more backmatter with books on The StoneWall Riot or a timeline for people to read. I also thought that the part about what happened after stonewall was excellent. I do wish Stonewall go something similar.
 The part of the book centering on Stonewall was a bit disjointed and confusing. Since that part was more the characters experiencing the events first handed, it definitely felt like some things were missed or not well explained. I also struggled with two of the characters as they acted incredibly selfish and rude. It seems like the author was trying to show how different people act in the face of oppression, but it just came off as bad. I would have been fine with the first person style if there was something that summed up the riots after. They did make it clear that this is the catalyst to the gay liberation movement, but I wanted more on the actual event.
History Comics: The Stonewall Riots takes up back to those nights in 1969 inside and outside of the Stonewall Inn. Literally, characters from our time, Natalia, Jax and Rashad, are thrown back in time by Natalia's abuela and live the events for themselves.

I hadn't read the summary before reading or requesting this, and I was not expecting this. I was really expecting a more scholar version of the events, but that's my bad for not reading synopsis.
Overall, I liked this okay, but it's definitely aimed at teens and younger, I don't feel like I learned much and it mostly just made me want to read more about those nights and Queer history in general.
Still, I could recommend this to kids and I feel like the comic format was pretty smart, also while I didn't connect with all the characters, I did really feel a sort of connection with Natalia and I enjoyed following her the most.

All in all, a fast read that could have been more in depth but still teaches the basic of this historic moment.
A great addition to the History Comics series. Three teens, along with one's abuela, find themselves traveling through time back to the Stonewall Riots in 1969, learning firsthand what happened and how it still affects them as LGBTQ+ teens living in today's world.
I came for the story of Stonewall.
I stayed for the boosting of intersectional activism.
We are none of us free until we are all free, kids. This graphic novel has my whole heart.
History Comics: The Stonewall Riots was such an excellent book for readers of all ages. This book allows readers who were not around during this time period to experience what it was like for the LGBTQIA+ community living during these times. We can celebrate the progress made since 1969 and continue to strive for equality for all people no matter what. I highly recommend anyone, young or old, to read this book.
This was a short and informative graphic novel that teaches important queer history. I enjoyed the representation and the way it brought the story of the Stonewall riots to life with beautiful art.

I felt the characters weren't always very realistic, especially the way our young main characters acted so callous about LGBTQ+ rights and history. As well, sometimes the progression of events in the story didn't quite make sense to me. Although I can understand that these narrative choices might have been made to emphasize the history being taught and why it's important to know.

Overall, I think this book would be a good resource for those wanting to learn more about the key events and people involved in the fight for LGBTQ+ rights.
I'd never heard of History Comics before requesting this ARC, but I'll be diving in and purchasing as many as I can. I recently became a staff advisor for the LGBT club at my district's high school and I can't wait for May to roll around so I can present them with this book! I'll be looking into the other published books in the History Comics series to give them as well.
History Comics: The Stonewall Riots is perfectly written for a young audience. It gives the perspective of young people today and takes the reader on a journey through time to show them that the treatment of LGBTQ groups was unfathomable in the not too distant past. The art is lovely, the story easy to follow, and the lessons invaluable to a youth that may not know this history. I will be purchasing copies for my school library.
This was an EXCELLENT book. It reminded me of things like the Magic School Bus or The Magic Treehouse series. Three young queer teens get transported back in time to the Stonewall riots and not only learn about history, but themselves as well. This would be a great resource for young students to learn both about LGBTQ+ history, and also recognize some of the things we in modern times tend to take advantage of. It also had resources for young LGBTQ people and young activists in the back. It is an excellent resource that teachers need to get ASAP!
Always a fan of Archie Bongiovanni's work. I was really glad to see this graphic representation of the Stonewall Riots and was impressed with the amount of Queer History crammed into such a small book.
First, I'm a huge fan of History Comics to begin with. Second, while this subject is covered in other books, and some even quite well, I appreciate a non-fiction graphic novel even more. This one hits close to home as I have seen many people in the LGBTQIA+ community who would rather sit on the sidelines or run than fight. And, while I understand the desire, it's nice to have these characters learn and change (as I hope others will now). While this book covers the basics of the Stonewall Riots, where it really hits for me is the addition of much more LGBTQIA+ history. As big a history nerd as I am (and pretty well versed in LGBTQIA+ history), I learned a couple of new things. This will grace the shelves of the libraries I buy for. for sure!