Cover Image: To Be Loved To The Bone

To Be Loved To The Bone

This is the perfect collection of poems for anyone who is struggling after a break-up or a bout of loneliness. I think that is when this collection will most resonate.
''You see, words hold the power of life and death, and it scares me to know that something so powerful can sit right between us.''

''To Be Loved To The Bone'' is so good that I even had trouble deciding which quote to highlight. I loved every single word, every single line. This was beautifully written. Reading it made me feel like the author was speaking to me, like she understood me. I really needed to read this book in this moment of my life.

I can't wait to read this again.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me an e-arc in exchange of an honest review.
An interesting read that I don't regret, but I simply didn't connect with it. Still, something that'd make for a good read during some introspective time at a coffee shop.
The collection didn't feel very authentic and original. Some felt superficial but the longer ones were somewhat better, not just pretty sentences strung together.
Beverly Maier shows glimpses of her true heart and soul in “To Be Loved To The Bone”. A collection about all kinds of love… we have with ourselves, others, and even when it’s lost — “To Be Loved To The Bone” has something for everyone who has loved and lost.

There’s some incredible symbolism and vividness between works and waves/the sea/water. I thought this was really strong and helped carry the collection a step further.

Also a gentle reminder of how much we’ll hurt in the life but continue to rise and learn as we go. All in all, this is a solid collection and I enjoyed reading it. I can’t wait to get a physical copy to annotate and keep for myself.
I didn't feel moved or excited about a single one of these poems.  While the author did a good job expressing her hope and excitement and pain and loss, it just felt so similar to every other collection of this type out there.
Some of these poems hit me quite hard and I found quite poignant, but overall this just wasn’t the style of poetry for me.
This is a really beautiful, poignant poetry collection. It explores healing from pain, loving after trauma, and forgiving yourself for what others did. The poems were really easy to read and flowed beautifully, and so many hit me in the soft-squishy spaces. If you want a poetry collection that’s full of love and explores various facets of love, I highly recommend picking this up~
Amazing book, loved reading this. Some of the poems resignatedwith me on a personal level. I'd give this book 4 stars 🌟
I don't know if I enjoyed this one. Some of the poems were good but I didn't get that vibe from most of them. Maybe I'm not a poem person. That can be the reason too...
An exciting and simple examination of the different forms of love in poetic form. Compelling. Easy to read. Well structured and emotive.
"To Be Loved To The Bone" by Beverly Maier is a poetic journey through various aspects of love, including romantic love, as well as self-love, and loosing love.

Undoubtedly there is a lot of strength in the simplicity of Maier's writing, which makes this collection accessible also to those, who want to dabble in reading poetry. I found it refreshing that not all the writing was made to look like poems, as occasional one-liners or longer musings of the author are quite poetic and allow the readers to look closer at Beverly Maier's perspective at the same time.

I believe some of the poems will stay with me for longer as they really spoke to me.
Rating: 5 🌟
First and foremost, I'd like to express my gratitude to Netgalley for providing me with an e-ARC of this poetry.
I know as immediately as I start reading this book that it will be a 5-star read. Every word in this book was flawlessly woven into sentences and phrases. It just hit me square in the face. I'll undoubtedly get a physical copy to annotate.🤍
Is the world kind to any of us? That’s the crux at the center of this poetry collection, that’s a meditation on what it means to keep going when it hasn’t been. A perfect read for that moment you’re crushed and your world is changing. “I’m hurting, too!” It says, “Let’s hold hands while we turn these pages together”. There are enough hopeful moments spent reflecting on why it’s worth putting ourselves back together at all - and what will make us want to - here, to give us the strength to love ourselves in the midst of a heart mess.
Beverly Maier has an undisputed talent for writing raw and vulnerable poetry. This is my first time reading her work and I was wowed by the beautiful imagery and the softly spoken words. Both of which were followed by the pain and torment emitting from each page. To Be Loved To The Bone is passionate, attentive, and unyielding. The words behind it are enchanting, they capture the reader and suck them into each stanza and each verse until they feel although they have poured their own soul into every line.

I particularly related to multiple poems in this collection that offered a sense of safety and almost home-like comfort. The poems that focus on the moment of self-realisation are utterly breathtaking, and wholesome, and leave a reminiscent feeling in the reader. There are many in this collection that I could highlight as the utmost beautiful. However, the following excerpt is the one that stuck with me, personally, and emitted a sense of strength and courage.

"I will nourish my heart before I feed your soul.
I will warm my hands before I take away your cold.
I will build myself a house before I find you a home.
I will love myself from skin to bone." - Page 42

One of the things I found interesting with this collection was the lack of titles for the poems. The majority of poetry I have collected to date, which I can wholeheartedly admit is not many, contain titles for each individual poem. Therefore, the lack thereof helps add to the vulnerability of this collection. I believe this made the collection appear more like a journal and overall, as a reader you are left thinking you have read something sacred and secretive.

Split into sections with titles such as "anchor" this collection offers a lot of imagery based on the sea and stormy turmoil. Harsh waves, crashing seashores, and many other powerful images are brought to the mind in these sections and they truly help the reader to envision the negative emotions. Which, I feel really compliments the theme of this collection - by encapsulating the emotions of the poetry into such vivid landscapes. It is purely metaphorical and maybe even unintentional but this continuous theme of storms is brilliant and really helps to connect each poem and pull together the collection.

The author has left herself be emotionally exposed to the reader delving into topics for love, relationships, mental health, and heartache. Each poem perfectly follows the last and takes the reader on a journey of self-discovery. A poem for healing, a poem for the hurting, and a poem for self-love, this collection has it all. It is beautiful and I thoroughly adored every second I spent reading it.

Thank you to NetGalley and Beverly Maier for providing a free e-book copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. To Be Loved To The Bone is available now on Amazon.
Thanks to Netgalley for a copy of this book in exchange for a honest review. I love poetry but I am not the audience for this type of poetry collection. I felt like the poems lacked a theme or a story or a narration. They read like twitter posts or diary entries. The poems are well written but to me they lacked depth and nuance.
This poetry collection was raw — not only a collection of poems but a story. I read this book among weeks, piece by piece. It hit me especially when I struggled, and I was a huge fan of how the longer poems were split by shorter ones. I enjoyed the illustrations. At times, it did feel robotic, yet so very human at the same time, which I relate to so much. Overall, I enjoyed reading this book so much, and look forward to purchasing it when it releases to have a physical copy.
“Some days my heart can hold an entire hurricane, but today it can hardly hold the storm.”

This collection was okay. It had some stronger poems and lines but overall I wasn’t impressed. It didn’t really keep my attention as a lot of the poems felt repetitive. I really loved the cover.
In diesem Gedichtband wechseln sich Seiten, auf denen mittellange bis lange Gedichte zu finden sind, mit Seiten, die kurze Gedichte und eine kleine Zeichnung beinhalten ab. Dadurch lässt sich das Buch sehr schnell lesen und die Seiten fliegen nur so vorbei. Die Gedichte handeln von Liebe; sowohl von heilsamer, glücklicher Liebe, als auch schmerzhafter Liebe und Trennung, sowie von Selbstliebe und Selbstreflektion.

Mir haben die Gedichte gut gefallen, sie waren teilweise metaphorisch und teilweise greifbar und praktisch. Zugleich waren sie aufgrund ihrer Länge nicht zu ausschweifend. Ich konnte viele der beschriebenen Gefühle gut nachempfinden und habe mir einige besonders schöne Gedichte markiert, um sie später noch einmal lesen zu können.

Fazit:
Mir hat dieser Gedichtband sehr gefallen. Sehr empfehlenswerte 4,5 Sterne.
Poetry is a favorite of mine. I loved how this was divided into different sections; anchors, beacons, oceans. I really felt like I could resonate with some of the themes in the poems. Most of them were really moving.