Cover Image: Caramel Pecan Roll Murder

Caramel Pecan Roll Murder

Caramel Pecan Roll Murder really mixed things up in the Hannah Swensen cozy mystery series and after 27 previous tiles, it was a refreshing change!

We of course still have our charming locale of Lake Eden and all the characters we have come to love but Hannah is taking a break from her bakery the Cookie Jar and baking pastries for the local inn for a big televised fishing competition.  With this slight change to our normal formula, Fluke is able to bring in a lot more suspects and keep her mystery fresh and interesting. It also has a "darker" (but not too dark) feel to the mystery and I feel it worked really well for this series. As always though, the mysteries does seem to take a back seat to all the food and coffee talk but I don't mind it. I've come to expect it from the series.

No spoilers but the big reveal of a major characters sudden change of heart didn't work for me. It was a complete shock and one I didn't see coming so if the intention was to really shake things up in the Hannah Swensen mysteries, it sure did the trick!
Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for the advanced copy of this book in exchange for my honest, personal review. I have to begin this review by saying I really enjoy this series. When you start a new book, it feels like you are revisiting old friends in Hannah, her family and the town of Eden Lake. I do miss Hannah being more independent which felt like it was lost after she married Ross but maybe we will get back there eventually. This time there is a fishing tournament in town and Hannah meets the face of the tournament, Sonny Bowman, while filling in for the pastry chef at the Lake Eden Inn. When Sonny turns up dead, its up to Hannah to solve the mystery! Good as the rest of the series, and I look forward to the next one! Can the author resolve the Mike/Hannah/Norman triangle once and for all though? It's time for them all to move on and find out what's out there for each of them, either separately or together.
This was quick read for me and thanks to all of the clues and the suspects that the author gives to us readers I pretty much figured out who the killer was by the time I got to the author's reveal. I am glad that the author may have finally put an end to the love triangle of Hannah, Norman, and Mike with the news that Mike tells Hannah on the last few pages of the book. I hope that in the next book in the series that Hannah and Norman finally come to the conclusion that they love each other and that they will finally just get married already. It was nice to see Hannah get away from her bakery the Cookie Jar and see her baking somewhere new with her sister and solving another mystery together. The only problem I had with this book is really a problem with the author and her publishers is that they authors recipes after almost every chapter instead of at the end of the book so that we readers have to skip over 2-10 pages to get to the next chapter to see what is going on with the story. When I was reading I started counting haw many pages I was skipping over and stopped counting when I get to 20 pages after the first 6 chapters.
Another lovely mystery from Joanne Fluke. These books maintain their fun, mysterious vibe despite getting up there in numbers. I really enjoyed the setting in this book and the recipes throughout are an added bonus. I can honestly I did not guess who did it until the end! I love the characters who are like friends to me. The ending came as a shock and now I’m desperate for the next book!
As with all of the Hannah Swenson books, readers feel like they are falling back into a conversation with a friend when they begin to read. While the method and mystery felt a little predictable, that did not diminish my enjoyment in any way. I look forward to this series because it is comforting to visit Lake Eden and it’s cast of characters! The included recipes look fantastic (Jo’s recipes always are) and I cannot wait to try them!  And while the mystery is resolved, there is a bit of a cliffhanger at the end which has me  more anxious than ever for the next book!
There’s a big fishing tournament being held at the Lake Eden Inn and the owners ask The Cookie Jar owner Hannah Swensen to help out with baking goodies for the fishermen when their regular baker suddenly is unavailable. Hannah and sister Andrea agree to help out, little suspecting they’ll soon be embroiled in solving the murder of a key player in the event.

Caramel Pecan Roll Murder brings many favourite characters to the page along with a murder for them to solve. Ms. Fluke also includes plenty of recipes for the readers’ pleasure.

While it was great to spend some time with Hannah and company, there were a few continuity issues in the book (full disclosure, I did read an advanced copy so those may have been solved in the final edit).

Hannah, of course, drank more coffee than most humans can manage!

The connection between Hannah and sister Andrea doesn’t ring true as a realistic relationship between adult sisters, both accomplished professionals in their chosen fields. Hannah treats Andrea as if she’s barely capable and talks down to her, often explaining things to Andrea as if she is a child. In fact, there was dialogue that felt odd…almost childishly simple, explaining things that are very clear to the other characters and the reader.

But the mystery was well written with plenty of viable suspects and fun to untangle, so that kept things moving right along.

And the ending made up for any deficiencies leading up to that…this reader is keen for the next story in this series to see what unfolds from that cliff-hanger!
I love the Hannah Swensen series but was disappointed with this book, the plot was slow to start and I felt there were too many references to the full names of recipes. Don’t get me started on the chapter that mostly discussed the cats! The last chapter makes me want to read the next book, just hope they get better.
Hannah returns for another sweet yet deadly adventure. As usual, she cooks and snoops her way through the story. Longtime fans will be frustrated if they are hoping for romance in this entry.
I would rate this book 3.5 stars.  I have intermittently read books in this series.  While I enjoyed the mystery, I wish the love triangle would be resolved with Hannah.
The Hannah Swenson series is one of my absolute favorite cozy mystery series! I love how cute and fun it is, but also how it takes dark turns--and how those bodies just keep showing up! I absolutely adore all the characters and one day I will try all the recipes! I can't wait for the next book in the series!
This is an exceptionally wonderful mystery cozy. Hannah and the gang are helping Sally with the cooking for the hungry guests staying for the fishing contest. Their was fun had by all and the guest mc for the contest  is a drunk and a womanizer. He was found dead on a boat that is going in circles. I thought this book was great. The story was exciting and the plot twists were quite fun. I always have a delicious time when I read a book from this series. I definitely recommend this book.
I have read most of Joanne Fluke’s Hannah Swenson books.  Although I enjoyed this one, I felt that it was lacking.  Many of the characters from previous books aren’t in this one.  It felt like it was missing part of the family.  I also felt there were more recipes than usual.  And the phrase “thought about it for a moment” was definitely overused.  They story is the usual murder that Hannah has to help solve.  I just feel it was lacking in substance this time.
This is one of my favorite cozy mystery series. I love the characters and the setting. But I found this one dragging a little and the story felt rushed. The one part I really can't get over is how the women are pretty much forced to dance with a drunk man. Really?
I enjoyed the latest adventure with Hannah and the rest of the gang in Lake Eden. In recent books in this series, the conversations were too simple and ridiculous. I like the mystery and how Hannah and her sisters work together to solve it. But Mike’s behavior in this one was too strange. I want to enjoy the books, but this series may have reached the end. I hope some serious editing is done before the book is officially released. And the author needs to decide if these characters can grow into intelligent individuals.

Thank you to NetGalley and Kensington Books for my advanced review copy. All opinions and thoughts are my own.
I'm fairly invested in the series.  There are parts of the writing style that really annoy me.  I feel like the author overexplains too many things.  As the series goes on, Hannah is becoming more and more patronizing and unkind toward her sister, Andrea.  The love triangle has gone on too long.  I keep saying that I will give the series one more book before giving up.  I don't know that this one was enough to keep me hooked.  The very last line was intriguing though...
Diehard fans of the Hannah Swensen Mystery Series will enjoy CARAMEL PECAN ROLL MURDER. With a series this longstanding, it is like coming home again and visiting with friends.

To see my full review, please go to www.freshfiction.com.

Thank you to Kensington and NetGalley for the ARC of this book in exchange for my review.
This book ends with a stunning surprise.  The characters seemed to be written very differently.  Some of the dialog seemed forced or fake.  The dialog was not natural.  I hope the next book come sooner than usual because to the shocking ending.
This book was so good!!!! I enjoyed every minute of it. I had no idea who the murderer was until the end. Hannah and her friends feel like family. I enjoy catching up with what’s going on in their lives and seeing what kind of messes that Hannah gets herself in to. Don’t hesitate to buy this book!
I do love these mysteries.
They are such easy reading and on the plus side you get recipes in between to make.
The characters are always good and the story lines are always well thought out.
just make sure you have a doughnut or 2 when you are reading these books.
As always, Joanne Fluke has crafted another great installment in the Hannah Swensen series. Caramel Pecan Roll Murder is very lighthearted with a well-plotted story, interesting new characters, and tons of mouthwatering recipes. The shocking end left me anticipating the next book.