Cover Image: Batter Royale

Batter Royale

3.5 stars. The art is very cute, but the story felt a little light, even for a YA story. Rose is an aspiring pastry chef who is approached to enter a baking competition (in London!). The contest is for pairs, so she convinces her best friend Fred to go with her. The competition has its predictable villains and allies, as teams are eliminated one by one. As Fred gets closer to one of the other contestants, Rose slowly realizes she might see him as more than a friend.

Sweet but needed a little more savory to go with the dessert. The characters don't have much depth, and the competition is supposed to be very high-stakes but didn't feel like it.

Thanks to Netgalley, the publisher, and the author for the ARC to review. All opinions are my own.
I LOVED THIS ONE SO MUCH! I thought it was absolutely FANTASTIC. Anything involving cooking is always a hit with me, but I know it will also ALWAYS be a big hit with kids in the library. Especially when it’s a cooking competition. For lack of a better time, they eat these UP. And this one is no different! And I LIVE for a graphic novel about food that sprinkles in the recipes throughout! I loved it. I thought it was so sweet. I thought some parts could have used a little more attention, but such as life in the graphic novel world sometimes!
Thank you to Amulet Books and NetGalley for the eARC to read and review!

Rose is a passionate baker who just got into the culinary school of her dreams. But with money tight and her parents' relationship so strained, her dreams may be over before they’ve even begun. When Rose sneaks a dessert she made to a top food critic, she’s invited to be a contestant on a food competition show. Winning could be the answer to her problems.

"Batter Royale" was a cute story that flowed nicely. I liked the artwork a lot even having to view it all in black and white. Everything came full circle. I expected more and wanted more from the story, so it was a disappointing and okay read. While there was a dash of romance, Battle Royale didn’t really feel like a rom-com. More cutesy and low-key than anything.

Rose has the natural, raw talent to become an excellent baker. I normally love characters who are so passionate about what they love to do. But I had a hard time liking Rose. She’s eager but very impulsive to prove her worth as a baker that it often gets her into trouble. I feel she kind of took advantage of her friendship with Fred by not listening whenever he said when something was a bad idea. Fred’s a nice guy. I wish she’d been more considerate of his feelings.

I’m conflicted about Rose and Fred as a couple. These long-time childhood friends clearly like each other. They had good and bad moments, but were kind of a hot mess together, especially since both want different things at this point in their lives.

As for the competition itself, it’s not one I’d watch myself. I love food competition shows, but this one was a little over the top and the logistics didn’t make much sense even for fiction. Nichole, one of the contestants, made a good adversary. And I liked how helpful and considerate Rose was to the other contestants even when it risked losing the competition.

I think one of the best things about "Batter Royale" was that it includes several dessert recipes in between sections. Definitely made me hungry for all of it.

I wanted to like "Batter Royale," but it just fell flat for me. It’s a cute story with great artwork. And I think some readers will be able to relate to Rose, her passion, and her struggles. I just needed more.
I absolutely LOVED this graphic novel because it combined two of my favorite things: graphic novel and a baking show competition. This baking show was awesome because it was kinda like an obstacle course built into the competition: think sand pit traps and swinging over fire and hostages. The characters were adorable and I adored their designs and backstories.

Rosemary (adeptly nicknamed Rose) is sweet and sassy in all the right ways. She works at a diner and itches to get her hands flour dusty in the kitchen. Fred is the reluctant chef who doesn't want to leave his mom alone to run the diner, but gets swept along in Rose's eagerness to run off to London and win a baking competition school.

While the author bakes up a great plot, the ending is almost a little too sweet. But if you like rich and decadent happy ever afters, this is the right mix for you!

One day, I hope to see a cooking show like the ones in this graphic novel!
Super cute and will be an easy sell. The author describes it as a mix between Check Please and The Great British Bake-off and it lives up to that expectation.
This story is just so much fun. I don't know how the legality would work out with the ring of fire, but I do love baking competitions. In this one, the heat is on, and so is the tension.
This is a delightful, fun graphic novel. I love food competitions and the ways food can bring people together, so I was very excited when I first saw this graphic novel. The competition is a little bonkers and weird, but the food puns from the show’s host are pretty delightful. I also really enjoyed the friendship between Rose and Fred and their growth and better understanding of their goals and strengths over the course of the competition. All around a really fun graphic novel and I highly recommend if you enjoy stories featuring baking competition and a little added sweetness of romance.
Like other reviewers here, I did not manage to download the ARC. I did, however, manage to snag a copy thanks to my local library (yay), and I'm glad I did. This review is based on the full color digital copy.

tl;dr
Beautiful, lively artwork and a fun set of lead characters. Ambitious story moves a little too fast for my tastes.

About
Rose has always wanted to be a baker, but lack of experience and money seem like insurmountable odds. But a chance opportunity to compete in a reality TV baking competition might just be what she needs to make her dreams come true.

Thoughts
I usually start with the story and then talk about the art, but the art is just too good to hold off on. It's absolutely lovely! Distinct and appealing character designs, expressive characters, and some really solid paneling. The layout when Rose's parents broke the news to her was especially poignant. Art is consistent across the board with bright colors, competent backgrounds, and tantalizing food illustrations. I absolutely loved the energy of the artwork. The story was a fun ride, albeit a bit too ambitious for the page count. Everyone loves an underdog story, and Rose's dedication to being a good person, even in the face of adversity really warmed me. I think the romance between friends was probably my favorite thread (I love a childhood friend romance!), and the confession while on the London Eye was very romantic. Outside of the two leads though, other characters don't have much time to develop, which is a shame. The main antagonists in particular get very little time to develop as characters. Is Nicole so skilled that she's definitely going to win, or is she a cheat who needs to sabotage others? Does she actually see a kindred spirit in Fred, or is she just trying to make things hard for Rose? And does her partner have any contribution to the story at all? I see the framework of a great story that I enjoy, but I suspect I'd enjoy it more if it had time to breathe over more than one volume. The book also includes recipes, which I appreciate, because after reading all that, I desire baked goods!
Unfortunately, I was not able to review it due to the removal of the download.  If a better quality copy becomes available I'm happy to review!
This book didn’t wow me but it was cute enough and a quick read. It wasn’t terrible but there was nothing in this story that hasn’t been a million times done before. I probably won’t remember it at all next month but I didn’t hate it. Very meh. The art looks cute, but the blurry black and white copy I read doesn’t do the art justice, I’m sure.
This book was extremely cute. I got the version in black and white and I can't imagine how cute it would be in color. I rated this book 4 stars and I highly recommened it. Thank you, to NetGalley for the free e-arc in exchange for an honest review.
This seems like it will be a cute book with adorable bouncy art. But in the form I received, it's fairly illegible. Black and white is fine, I can imagine the colors and the art that is in there is cute and fun and expressive, but the text is too difficult to read to really follow the story. Hope to read it in its final form eventually!
This was cute. The formatting was a bit hard to read but overall I really enjoyed it. The main characters reminded me a lot of my sister which made the read that much more enjoyable
Was unable to read the copy the publisher provided on my Kindle, and this wasn’t fixed after I contacted NetGalley about it.
Thanks to Netgalley and Abrams Kids for the ARC of this! I will say off the bat something was wrong with the formatting that made it really difficult to read and stay immersed because I had to keep stopping to try to decide what was being said. As that will probably not be an issue in the final product, I rounded up.

I thought this was overall a cute, fun story. It was pretty fluffy and surface level, but sometimes that’s what you want. For fans of Space Battle Lunchtime and Pumpkinheads, this friends to lovers cooking show graphic novel is full of tasty looking food and fun competition.
A baking romance is a great recipe for a graphic novel. I really liked it, and can’t wait to read the final product since the arc didn’t have color yet.
An excellent and fun story! I quickly fell in love with the characters and would love to see more books about their future adventures!
The description in the galley copy says its British Baking Show meets Check, Please! While I know enough about the British Baking Show, I know much more about the delightful Check, Please! and couldn't agree more that is has the wonderfully round characters with the delightful humor, grit, and fun that makes Adams' graphic novel simply the best.
The preview copy was thoroughly scrambled and near-nigh unreadable, but what I was able to make out was charming enough that I look forward to seeing a better copy after the release.
From what I could read this book was very cute and entertaining but the key words are "what I could read."  The text was so blurry and almost illegible on most pages throughout all devices I tried it on.  This is something that needs to be fixed before publication and if it is I recommend this one but if it is not be sure you only get the physical copy.  If I could make out the writing on all the pages I imagine I would give this one more starts but as it stands I'm going with 3.