Cover Image: Batter Royale

Batter Royale

I love me a graphic novel plus a romance!! Add in POC and I am sold.

When seventeen-year-old small-town waitress Rose impresses a famous food critic, she and her best friend, Fred, find themselves thrust into the tough world of competitive baking. The contest is an intense ten days of bizarre challenges, and the competition is cutthroat. Some competitors are willing to lie, cheat, and sabotage their way to the top. Rose may be in over her head, but she is determined to show that she can become a top chef. Batter Royale is a fish-out-of-water style romantic comedy about climbing out of the circumstances you're in and making your dreams come true.

This was the cutest! Its's a wonderful palate cleanser between super long books. I really enjoyed this one and looking forward to getting the hard copy!! The e-copy was a bit hard to read so I MUST have a physical one.
Rose wants nothing more then to become a professional chief.  Yet she is finding it hard to prove her abilities at the dinner she is currently working at.  One day when a celebrity  reviewer stops in Rose takes a chance and decides to bake something special for her that is not on the menu.  Little did she know that that dessert would garner her an invitation to one of the most intense cooking reality shows ever.  Rose is so excited about the opportunity, yet there is only one draw back she needs a partner.  Can she convince Fred in time to enter the competition?

This is a fun book with quite a twist on how teams are asked to bake.  I love that Rose is able to stay true to herself and find ways to support her other competitors throughout the competition.  Personally I know if I went on any type of baking show with the same expectations I would never do as well as Rose did.  I truly loved how Rose shined through the writing and jumped off the page as being a real team player.

Thank you so very much to Abrams Kids and Netgalley for allowing me to read an advance copy.
I was really looking forward to reading this, but the text is blurry and impossible to read on all of my devices!
**I was provided an electronic ARC from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for honest review.**

Leisl Adams debuts with a contemporary graphic novel, Batter Royale. Marketed as Check, Please! meets The Great British Bake Off, readers follow Fred and Rose as they compete on a reality cooking show. Fred wants the prize money to help save his mother's restaurant. Rose wants the money to fund her attendance at culinary school. The competition reveals that Fred and Rose's feelings for each other might be extending beyond friendship.

I went into this graphic novel expecting it to be cute and fun, and it definitely met my expectations. I love the art style and the inclusion of recipes for the various desserts being made through the story. Rose is a protagonist you can't help but root for.

I do feel that Chopped! would be a better tv show comparison than The Great British Bake Off, given that there are traps, twists, obstacles, and heated competition between the various teams. This would set the expectations in a way that would be more representative of the tone of the story.

My only real complaint is that the story was kept heavily surface level. Adams did introduce the background of Rose's parents separating and the potential for Fred's mom to lose her restaurant, but these issues were mostly background problems. Rose and Fred in general, while our most developed main characters, were pretty two dimensional. None of the other competitors were developed significantly beyond the main antagonist, and even then the characterization remained flat.

Overall, I absolutely enjoyed this work for what it was and recommend this graphic as a light-hearted good time. I look forward to future works from this author and find Batter Royale to be a lovely debut.
I am extreme thankful to Abrams Books Team for this copy of Batter Royale!! Unfortunately, I was unable to read this because it was so blurry. I hope it will be fixed soon so I can read it and give an actual review! It sounds incredible and like nothing I have ever read before!
Baking + romance + family drama --> Batter Royale (not Battle Royal!!)
Love the character and plot focused aspect of this graphic novel
Super cute and is fast paced as well and easy to understand!
Due to my committee work I am unable to review titles that are eligible to be included on our Great Graphic Novels for Teens list. Please see www.yalsa.com/thehub for a blog post about this title.
This cute YA GN doesn't cover any new ground but is a quick, sweet read.  There are a lot of elements-- the main character's parents separating, money trouble, college applications, work performance-- that surprisingly don't feel overwhelming or crowded.  The only part that feels vague is actually the contest: is it all teens?  some of them seem professional, some look older.  Challenge elements are constantly a surprise to the contestants and in general the show seem unplanned, which is the least realistic aspect.

The illustrations are consistent and readable with a sweet, round style.

Suggest to readers who liked [book:Pumpkinheads|40864790], [book:Space Battle Lunchtime Vol. 1: Lights, Camera, Snacktion|30220713], and [book:Check, Please! Book 1: #Hockey|37534577].

ARC from NetGalley.
Thank you Leisl Adams and netgalley for this book! I found the story super charming and definetely a book I'll add  to my list for foodie recommendations. I think it was super smart to have this book as a graphic novel so you could use all of your senses and be dazzled by the food!
A lot of baking, romance, family drama, and some intrigue, put it all together and you have a recipe for a great graphic novel. Rose is tenacious, knows what she wants, and isn't afraid to reach for her dreams.

I read an advance copy so it did not have color yet but the illustrations were great and I cannot wait to see the final product. I loved the recipes sprinkled throughout the novel, can't wait to try a few.

Would highly recommend this book.
I can't wait to see the finished version of this book. I was reading an e-arc from Netgalley and the images were too pixelated. I got the gist of what was going on, but it took a lot longer to read than I would have liked.

If you're a fan of shows like The Great British Baking Show and similar, I think this book is definitely the one for you.

Thank you to Abrams Kids and Netgalley for the chance to read an e-arc

My review is currently posted on Goodreads, and I will add it to Amazon once it allows me to.
I had high hopes for this book…POC, baking, travel, and overall adorable cover. Yet the dialogue and plot just didn’t work well. The reality show was just too over the top. Characters were flat and didn’t arc. The quality of the ARC was terrible and reading it was truly painful on my eyes. I will look at it again when it is in print because the concept is wonderful and what I could see of the artwork was cute.
A likable and attractive graphic novel. I enjoyed the eye-popping design and character-centered plot.
I thought this graphic novel was just ok, nothing about it was really memorable after I finished it. I understand that it's just an advanced readers copy but I would have loved to see some of the color that would be coming into this because I do think it could have made a difference. I also didn't love the baking show that the characters were on, it seemed too silly for the seriousness of the main two and why they agreed to come on the show. It kind of made a mockery of the baking shows, which if that was the intention it was done well, but it just didn't fit the mood of the rest of the novel to me. I did appreciate that there were recipes of the items made sprinkled throughout, that would be a wonderful addition for a budding baker who doesn't quite know what to create yet.
Thank you to NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review! I really liked the premise of this story, baking and romance?! Sign me up! I will say it was a struggle to get through this ARC as it was grainy and hard to read the words. I also wished the ARC had been in color. I think this is going to be a great debut graphic novel and I can’t wait to see it in its full color and recommend it to friends and family!
Such a fun and fast paced graphic novel. I loved the characters and was quickly routing for Rose and Fred. I loved the clever title and will definitely be picking up a printed copy of this so I can enjoy it in color!
This gave me british bake off/check please vibes! I loved that there were actual recipes included in the story. Super cute and I will be purchasing once it releases!
Thank you to Abrams, Amulet, and NetGalley for this ARC in exchange for an honest review!

Batter Royale by Leisl Adams is a lovely debut graphic novel that will appeal to fans of Eddie's Million Dollar Cook-off and The Princess and the Frog. When I saw that the creator worked on several of my favorite Disney Channel TV shows, I knew that I needed to read this graphic novel right away!  The story revolves around Rose, a teenage waitress who is selected to participate in a high-stakes, televised reality baking show.  She brings her best friend, Fred, along.  Is winning the competition their goal, or will they find something even better?

Overall, Batter Royale is a fun graphic novel that will appeal to kids everywhere.   One highlight is the amazing art, which brought me right back to my cartoon-watching days.  I did take off 1 star, because I wanted a little bit more.  This felt more aimed at kids than teens, so I wish there had a been a little more romance or a few more high-stakes situations.  Even though I was never really on the edge of my seat, I still enjoyed reading this lovely graphic novel. If you're intrigued by the description, you can check out this book when it comes out in June!
This book was so cute. It was “British Bake-off” meets “Wipe-Out” meets “Cinderella Story.” It had some actual recipes in it as well, which was neat. There wasn’t really a ton of deep character development or growth, but all the characters were likable and sweet. It felt like some events (like the main character, Rose, finding out her parents are separating) we’re just glossed over and should have been explored more. But overall, it was a quick, fun, and enjoyable read. My ARC was in black and white, and I can’t wait to see it come out in full color, because I can only imagine how much cuter it will be.
Unfortunately I have been unable to read this ARC because the font format is unreadable on the kindle app. I hope that this issue will be resolved and I can read it in the future.