Cover Image: Batter Royale

Batter Royale

I wish i could give a higher rating but i physically could not finish this. The illustrations were nice but unfortunately I could not see the beauty of it because the art was not legible and in black and white. I like the idea of the recipes incorporated but once again they were legible. I would like to see this copy when it’s finished to give a better opinion.
3.75
A quick fun and easy read. I loved the pictures but what I loved the most was how the author had included various recipes of what the characters were making and I wrote a few of those down to try one of these days!! cant wait to try them out:))
The storyline for Batter Royale is really fun and was super appealing to my tween daughter. Unfortunately, because the ARC was so grainy, she wasn't interested in reading it right now, instead choosing to wait until we can get the book in hand. She left it up to me to work my way through it - and I definitely think I will appreciate the book more when I can easily read it!

That being said, the illustrations were well done and I have no doubt the colorization will make it a really enjoyable read. The plot was fun and breezy, and I can definitely see how it appeals to the reader. (Baking shows are all the rage in this house!) I enjoyed that the lead character was female and BIPOC as well.

I'm excited to get a an actual copy of the book and update my review!
I have to start this by saying what every other reviewer has, which is that the quality of this digital arc is BAD. Its super hard to read, and that's a bummer because this was super cute and super fun. I love books about baking, and I love anything that has to do with reality TV so I was excited to read this. And I liked what I saw, but I feel like I was really missing something due to the quality of the ARC.

That being said, I don't want to rate it based on that. That's not fair. I liked a lot of it. The romance was so sweet, the competition aspect was wild and kept me on my toes, and the recipes throughout were a great touch. I think this lacked a little depth at some points, which I expect in most graphic novels I read. It was a great escape and a quick read. I can't wait to check out a physical copy when its released!
Hard to fully appreciate this graphic novel because the quality of the digital ARC was dreadful. The images and text were really blurry which made it hard to make out some words. The ARC wasn't in color, but I did enjoy the artwork and would like to read this again when it is completed. It is billed as a Great British Baking Show concept but in reality it is much more like Netflix's Sugar Rush. Overall, I liked Rose and thought that it was a cute graphic novel about hard work, competition, and teamwork. Many thanks to Abrams Kids and NetGalley for this ARC!
I love the idea of this story and the plot was really good. The art was good and added to the story as well. I did love how recipes were included. Overall it is a good story and I love the baking elements and the cooking competition. Unfortunately, the copy I read was an digital arc and it was very hard to read and follow Which really impacted how I enjoyed it.
The quality of this ARC is so low that it’s too hard to read. Its probably a good book, but I honestly don’t know. Don’t have an ARC if you aren’t going to make it readable.
I was really excited to read and review this, but  the  words are so grainy/blurry in the ARC, that I can't read  it at  all.
Rose dreams of one day becoming a professional chef with her own restaurant, but for now, she's just a waitress who can't afford to go to a prestigious culinary academy--that is, until she is invited to attend Batter Royale: the international baking competition reality TV show! She and her partner do their best to make quality food items, but it's obvious that some competitors are willing to do whatever it takes to win, even sabotaging their fellow bakers!

This was a sweet story (pun intended) with a simple moral. I liked Rose's character, and while the story didn't strike me as realistic, it definitely had its fun moments. I enjoyed the recipes that are sprinkled throughout the book, and I hope middle grade readers will use them to explore the delights of baking without the risk of food fights or excess salt.
Thank you to the Abrams Kids and NetGalley for the advanced electronic review copy of this book. This is a cute middle grade/YA story about teamwork, competition, and following one’s dreams. I enjoyed what I was able to make of the story since the text was very blurry and unclear. I had to infer a lot of the context from the images and from whatever I was able to decode. The recipes between each section/chapter is such a great idea! I would’ve enjoyed them much more if they were legible. (Had to take off one star for the unclear and blurry font. Such a shame!) Hopefully, the published version would be much more legible and in full color. Looking forward to re-reading this book and the recipes after publication.
I enjoyed the graphics. The storyline was cute as well. This is a great middle grade graphic novel and perfect for fans of any baking competition type show.
This was a cute middle grade/YA graphic novel. There’s a hint of romance in it, but if you blink you’ll miss it. The mc is a bit obnoxious and cheery, but means well. Her best friend is a little more palatable. There’s a brief intro to their lives and aspirations before we jump into a cooking contest. It’s a fast paced read, but a bit rushed. There’s recipes used as scene breaks that I thought were a nice touch. The art is part of what makes it feel more middle grade, but it’s nice nonetheless. Overall, not a bad read.