Cover Image: The Invite

The Invite

I’ve read a few books by this author and enjoyed each one. I love her writing style, she takes the plot of what you think is going on, tips it on its side and throws in some completely unexpected, crazy twist that I never see coming! I always look for books by her because I know I will love them!
Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for this this ARC.  I am leaving this review voluntarily.  This was a taut thriller with more twists and turns than a roller coaster!  Kaitlin has recently gotten out of a toxic marriage.  She has a beautiful daughter, Ruby, which is the only good thing to come out of her marriage.  She meets Greg, and he is everything that Sean was not to her - a perfect gentleman, a good father, a caretaker, etc.  You get the picture.  He loves her so much that he has planned an extravagant birthday party for her.  She is excited to see her friend, Zoe, who has been away from a long time.  Zoe, unlike Kaitlin, is not a happy woman at this stage in her life.  She was in what she thought was a fantastic relationship with Daniel, that is until she found out he was married.  She arrives at the party and she is immediately suspicious of Greg which causes a fight between Kaitlin and Zoe.  She storms out of the party and disappears.   No one knows if she is dead or alive.  The mind games start at this point in the story.  There are lies and more lies, as well as betrayal, but who has betrayed who.... you will be wondering.  There is a fear that is well played and the intensity of the story is well controlled.  However, I was still hanging on by a thread dreading what each new chapter would show.  The author does a great job of setting up EVERYONE in the book as a suspect.  I was fully engrossed and absorbed into this book until the satisfying and haunting conclusion!  I literally could not put it down.  I read this book in one evening!  If you like a great psychological thriller/mystery, you will not be disappointed!
This story was a little slow in my opinion. I struggled with wanting to keep going and pushing through. I'm overall thankful I did as the ending was great, however since it was such a process to get into it, I cannot give it more than a 3.
This is a great psychological thriller.
Kaitlin is happy with Greg and is looking forward to her Birthday party that he has arranged for her.
She’s also excited to see her best friend, Zoe who has been working in Portugal.
When Zoe meets Greg she’s suspicious of him and questions Kaitlin’s hastiness in agreeing to marry him.
Zoe goes out for some fresh air but doesn’t return and Kaitlin is sure something has happened to her.
With more than one character hiding things from those around them, this is a gripping thriller which builds to a nail biting conclusion.
Thanks to Bookouture and NetGalley for the opportunity to read this book.
Thank you NetGalley for this advanced copy. I find I have a love/hate relationship with Sheryl's books. Either they keep me on my toes the whole way through, or I stop reading because there is nothing good to them. This one was in the middle. I feel like parts of it were predictable. overall, I feel like there was a lot going on and a lot of characters, but that the writing was rather choppy. The title doesn't really fit the book either. I don't know. It was enough for me to skim to the end, but not enough to keep my attention where I had to read word for word.
Thank you for NetGalley for providing me with this book for review.
This is an amazing book, the plot is very fun paced, it will keep you quessing right up to the end.
I hugely enjoyed this twisty, well written story and finished it within two days.

It’s about Kaitlin, who along with her small daughter, Ruby, has finally found love again with Greg. He seems perfect in every way and is brilliant with Ruby. He’s just what Kaitlin needs to forget her troubled past. However, when Kaitlin’s best friend, Zoe, comes back from Portugal in time for Kaitlin’s birthday party, this sets off a sinister, ever more shocking turn of events that mean their lives will never be the same again.

I raced through this book, as the plot was so good and the characters so believable, I didn’t want to put it down. There are a number of red herrings and just as you start to think you’ve figured things out, the author throws in another twist and curveball!

I hugely empathised with Kaitlin’s character and also loved the way her parents were portrayed, especially her father.

Throughout the book, there is an underlying sense of uneasiness, I love books like this and highly recommend this one.

Thanks to author, Sheryl Browne, publishers Bookouture and Net Galley for this ARC in exchange for my honest review.
I have read and enjoyed quite a few of Sheryl Browne’s books and this latest one didn’t disappoint.

It’s Kaitlin’s party and all her friends are invited, including her best friend Zoe, who is flying in from Portugal.  This will be the first time that Zoe has met Greg, Kaitlin’s fiancé.  Although she hasn’t known Greg long she is absolutely certain that he is the perfect man for her.  But will her best friend think the same ?

This is a great psychological thriller with plenty of twists in the tale to keep you on your toes.  The story is told from various perspectives, which I really enjoy in a book as I feel you get to know more of the story that way.  If you love this genre you will not be disappointed with this book !!

Thank you to Bookouture and NetGalley for a digital copy of this book.
Wow, wow , wow !!!!!!  Another great book from Sheryl Browne. There were so many twists that I had no idea where the story was going. Gripping from the start and well worth more than five stars. Highly recommended .
Thanks to Netgalley for the opportunity to read and ARC
A brilliant read. Very fast pace. A lot of concentration needed to  keep up with the characters.  A real whodunnit of a book.you won’t
Everything is going pretty well for Kaitlyn after she decided to leave her abusive husband. Since then, she's achieved her dream to be an occupational psychologist, been living her best life with her daughter, Ruby and most of all, she's found love, again, in Gregory Walker.

Greg is an affectionate lover to Kaitlyn. He helped build what her ex tore down. He dotes on both Kaitlyn and Ruby. He's the perfect man, as the saying goes.

Zoe has been through hell in Portugal and now she's back for good. She couldn't wait to see Kaitlyn, they may have drifted apart, buy they were bestfriends and Kaitlyn was the closest she has to a family.

On the night of Kaitlyn's birthday bash, personalities clashed, tempers were lost, and choice words were said. It ended with Zoe walking out on Kaitlyn; never to be seen again.

The story is narrated from the points of view of the various characters. I usually don't like different povs because it gets either boring or confusing. In some cases, it even looks like a delaying tactic.
With this story, though, it fit perfectly. It was like having sips of the tea and bites of the beef.
By now, I should mention that this book's themes are abuse, obsessive love and jealousy.
I did enjoy this book, but it really was a bit much, with so many people driven by obsessive jealousy. It is also rather predictable, but it is written well, and the characterisation is ok, although I never really got emotionally involved with any of them. I think Sheryl Browne just tried a little too hard to make it unpredictable. However, I was gripped towards the end to see how it panned out.

In addition, which I did not include in my Goodreads review, I'm becoming wary of books that tell me there is a twist on the cover. When you expect something, it's no longer an unexpected twist, and unfortunately, I'm finding more and more covers of psychological thrillers expounding twists. I'm also not sure about the title - the plot had absolutely nothing to do with any invitation, apart from Zoe coming to Kaitlin's birthday party.
The theme of this book revolves around the opening event, a very lavish birthday party given to Kaitlin by her fairly new boyfriend and secret fiancee Greg.

At the party we meet several characters including Kaitlin's best friend Zoe who leaves the party in anger and disappears. Witnesses say that Zoe was angry with Kaitlin or perhaps jealous of her boyfriend. The police begin an investigation and nothing is what it originally seemed.

If you suspend belief this is a quick and enjoyable little tale. I didn't dislike it, but I prefer  more believable twists and turns in my thrillers. If you like a quick thriller, enjoy the domestic drama genre that includes the fiancee may be hiding something, then this is a book for you! #Bookouture #NetGalley #TheInvite
I found this a little difficult to get into with the opening few chapters a little repetitive. Once it gets going, it is an interesting read that keeps you guessing, the character of Greg particularly fascinating. I did find that it lost pace on occasions and I was hoping for a clearer explanation at the end.  Thanks to NetGalley and Bookouture for providing me with an Advance Reader's Copy in exchange for an honest, unbiased review.
<b>Note:</b> I received an advanced copy of this book from Bookouture via NetGalley.

The invites went out weeks ago, and tonight, at a lavish manor house surrounded by friends and family, Kaitlin couldn’t be happier. But as the champagne corks pop, her dream party becomes her worst nightmare… Staring at the stunning diamond solitaire on her finger, Kaitlin is finally getting the chance to introduce her best friend Zoe to her perfect fiancé. She hasn’t known Greg long, but he looks after her, and he loves playing dad to her young daughter. How could she say no when he’s already planned their elopement?  As guests arrive, why is Greg acting so shifty? And is that a flicker of recognition on Zoe’s face? And why does she look terrified every time her phone rings?
 Kaitlin watches as Zoe knocks back her white wine and makes a beeline for Greg. After a heated conversation, Zoe stumbles towards the door and flees the party without looking back.

Days later, the police knock at Kaitlin’s door – Zoe is missing.  Kaitlin wants to believe her loving fiancé is not to blame, but she knows what she saw the night of the party. And when he lies to the police, can she trust the man she’s marrying? Could Kaitlin and her precious daughter’s life now be in danger too?

Overall, this book was an enjoyable easy read, however, I found some of the parts involving Greg to be rather confusing and not on point.  There were definitely some disconnects throughout.
This is the 10th book I have read and reviewed by this author and every book is always different ie the focus of the story and the lesson it is telling, this one is on ‘betrayal, jealousy and not taking people at their word’ and the consequences of these things!
Now I have to say there is a lot of characters in the book and a lot of sub plots and at times it did take me a minute to keep in check who was who and why was they acting like this and what decade where we in, once had done this was back on track
The book started brilliantly, it had me tense and on edge right from the beginning as 2 old friends reunite and one thinks she recognises the others new fiance, great start to a book and sometimes its then hard to keep that initial thrill and excitement going nevertheless as always a good story throughout
I love this authors work and will look forward to Book 11

8/10
4 Stars
Sheryl Browne's latest thriller, "The Invite", was full of twists and turns that had me guessing until the very end.  It is the night of Kaitlin's birthday party, and she is looking forward to finally introducing her new fiance to her best friend, Zoe, who has just returned from living in Portugal.  Kaitlin's fiance, Greg, is handsome, charismatic, intelligent, and most importantly, a good father-figure to her little girl.  What more could Kaitlin ask for?  However, Zoe seems skeptical of the burgeoning romance, and Kaitlin is surprised when she sees Zoe and Greg engaged in a heated discussion at the party.  What could possibly be wrong?  Greg is perfect....or so it seems.

Zoe storms off with Greg following her, but it is too late.  Zoe disappears, simply vanishing into the night.  What could she possibly have known about Greg?  And does he have something to do with her mysterious disappearance?  As Kaitlin digs into the mystery, it becomes clear that she does not know Greg as well as she thought she did....or even Zoe, for that matter.  Kaitlin becomes ever more suspicious when she begins to catch Greg in a series of lies. and she becomes convinced that he is responsible for Zoe's disappearance.....or possibly worse.

This was a decent suspense novel that did have me guessing throughout.  However, it seemed pretty disorganized at times, and almost a bit hard to follow.  I would stick with some of Browne's other material first, but it was certainly an entertaining read.
I received this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The book was kinda meh for me, as I thought too much was going on with the story, I kept on mixing up the names, Greg, Daniel, and then half way through I remember thinking who's Adam and who the heck is Kyle?

Ultimately, the ending threw me off, because I didn't even remember who the culprit was, and even after we learn the motive, i could barely figure out who the character was.
The Invite started out with what I call fluffy and light dialogue - the naïve female with the "perfect" boyfriend....but it got more exciting as the story went on, with multiple POV and some real twists.  There was a lot of repetition which bogs it down somewhat, but if like a quick read, with an imaginative plot, this thriller is for you!

Thanks to NetGalley and Bookouture for an advance reader's copy.
This book is exactly why I say Sheryl is the QUEEN of psychological thrillers! Sheryl is back and better than ever. To say I enjoyed this book is an understatement…..I absolutely freaking loved it. Grabbing me from the start,I devoured it in one day. I couldn't put it down. It is sooo addictive. So be prepared not to get anything done once you start it.

In this story we meet Kaitlin and Zoe who have been friends for years, When Zoe meets Kaitlin’s fiance Greg  at her party things take a turn for the worse and the party becomes Kaitlin’s worst nightmare. The story unfolds. I was trying to work out why Zoe goes missing and what's the deal with Greg….So many questions!

OMG talk about keeping me on the edge of my seat. I couldn't read this quick enough, wanting to know what happens next. Just when I think I have it figured out BOOM another twist to throw you sideways! There are so many twists and turns in this story and brilliant characterisation.  From start to finish The Invite is jam packed with suspense.

Not forgetting the ending….WOW WOW WOW Sheryl totally ramps it up a step with an action packed, electrifying, pulse racing ending. I am totally blown away by how good this book is, it is a must read. Read it for yourself and you all see what I mean you won’t regret it.