Cover Image: Where Secrets Live

Where Secrets Live

*Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for this ARC in exchange for my honest review*

Absolutely loved this book!  If you are looking for a fast paced, exciting thriller, this book is for you.  I didn't see some of the twists coming.
I really enjoyed this book, the first I have read from this author.
The book was full of twists. I really enjoyed Lizzie as the heroine of the story. She has her faults and weaknesses but I liked her more for them. I also enjoyed Fred, Rachel and Edman. The relationships between various family members was well explored.
I thought the storyline got a little over the top and a bit rushed towards the end but still definitely enjoyable.
I’m usually a romance/fantasy reader but love to dive in to thriller/mystery books from time to time. Though this is not necessarily my cup of tea, it was a good read that took me out of my comfort zone and makes me want to get into this genre of literature more.

The quick synopsis: The lives of sisters Liz and Meredith McCallister are woven together after the loss of their parents at a young age. Their step parents provide for the girls. But the sisters start to grow up dependent on each other for emotional support. Since the sisters have such a strong bond, the discovery of Meredith's brutally murdered body at her lake house turns  Liz's world upside down. Meredith didn't have any enemies so why would anyone want her dead? Liz is determined to find out who killed her sister Meredith. She uncovers shocking family secrets as she begins her search for the truth.

Where Secrets Live is available on September 6th.

Thank you, NetGalley and Crooked Lane Books for allowing me to review this book in exchange for an honest review.
This novel started off strong. But then around the midway point, it felt flat to me. And I had a hard time getting back into it
A really fast paced and exciting thriller.
I raced through it!
Not too graphic or gritty, more of a sleuth story.
Recommended for psychological and crime thriller fans.
This book was amazing. Liz and Meredith McCallister  are sisters who stuck together. Until one of them is murdered. Liz must figure out who murdered her sister before it’s to late. This was a fast paced thriller that I could not put down!
S.C. Richards' book Where Secrets Live is captivating from the first line. Using excitement and suspense. Richards' writing is laser focused on holding the reader's attention.

Synopsis:
The lives of sisters Liz and Meredith McCallister are lovingly woven together after the loss of their parents at a young age. Their step parents provide for the girls, but leave the sisters to grow up dependent on each other for emotional support. In light of the strong bond they share, the discovery of Meredith's brutally murdered body at her lake house shatters Liz's world. Meredith didn't have any enemies so why would anyone want her dead? Liz is determined to find out who killed her sister Meredith. She uncovers shocking family secrets as she begins her search for the truth.

Where Secrets Live is available on September 6th. S.C. Richards creates page-turning tension and unexpected plot twists you do not want to miss. (4.25 ⭐⭐⭐⭐💫)

Thank you, NetGalley and Crooked Lane Books for allowing me to review this riveting book by the highly gifted S. C. Richards. Your kindness is appreciated.
Thank you to NetGalley, the author, and publisher for my advanced readers copy of Where Secrets Live.

Holy. Surprise. Ending. S.C. Richards wrote some really great twists into this one.

Following her sisters murder, Liz starts sinking her nails into her sister’s past, her family’s dirty secrets, and the heart of the cop assigned to her sister’s case. When the lies begin to unfold and more and more people are turning out to be super ~sus~, Liz knows this isn’t going to end well. She dodged questions from her cop crush, breaks into her sister’s safety deposit box (among other things she finds without permission lol), and enlists the help of a PI who ends up being the best dang asset to her finding out the truth. And y’all, the truth was NOT pretty and absolutely DID end in quite a bit of blood… and revenge.

5/5 for this thrilling read
As soon as I started Where Secrets Live, I had a hard time putting it down. This story has a way of sucking you in, especially once Liz begins to unravel the many threads of her sister’s life. As each new twist is revealed, it’s clear just how much knowledge Meredith protected from her. I appreciated that Liz was not a standard, do-gooder main character; instead, she was a little rough around the edges and worked hard to overcome her drinking problem. I appreciated that the author used this as a way to demonstrate how hard it can be to give up an addiction; in the novel we see Liz struggle time and again to keep her sobriety should found with her sister’s death.

As far as the actual story goes, the way it unravels with multiple suspects was pretty good. Most of these characters had done something shameful or dishonest in their life, showing that even if they weren’t the culprit of the murder itself, there was still plenty to answer for. The actual ending twist was pretty good; I kept thinking to myself about the unanswered question before an answer I was not expecting flew across the page.

Overall, this review was really hard for me to right, as I breezed through the story so quick I hardly took any notes, and thus forgot most of the details by the time I sat down to write. If you like thrillers, you’ll likely enjoy this one, as it’s filled with interesting characters and plenty of twists. If anything, it could be considered a bit of a “standard” thriller, and therefore a bit forgettable after you’ve finished.
This is my first book from this author. I do enjoy a mystery and a “Whodunit” theme although this is more of a why and how…
This is a good book but beware of some triggers (rape, grief, abandonment).
There is an extensive list of characters that can be difficult to follow at some times but if you like family mystery stories, this book is for you.
Thanks NetGalley for the ARC of Where Secrets Live by S. C. Richards
A missed call from her sister, woken up by her cousin Fred, a last minute drive to her sister's house, Elizabeth is now dealing with the death of her sister and convinced she will find out who did this. She starts asking questions, visiting family, who can she trust. Tom is there every step of the way, both as a friend (Liz would like it to be more) and in a professional capacity investigating the murder.
I really enjoyed this novel, there are lots of characters but we'll introduced and described and able to keep track of who is who. I recommend this book and look forward to more by this author
Unputdownable. I don't know if that's even a word, but it fits this book for me!

I was immediately hooked into the mystery of this story when Meredith was murdered and Liz began her hunt for the murderer. This book had me questioning everyone and changing my mind on who could be the main suspect with every turn of the page. This was a fantastic quick read that kept me curious. I enjoyed the character development of everyone and the inner struggles at play for Liz throughout the book.

I don't want to give anything away, so I'll simply say, this one is definitely a book to read. Pick it up immediately when it's released in September. I need to get my hands on more S.C. Richards books now, especially since I discovered that she is originally from Nebraska! :)

Thank you Netgalley & Crooked Lane Books for the opportunity to read this ARC.
This book is incredible. This is the first time I've read this author, but I am a huge fan. I blew through Where Secrets Live because I could to stop reading it.
This was a solid, well-paced thriller with a believable premise and a nice range of suspects for the murder. I enjoyed the story but had some issues with it too.

I know a good thriller is enhanced by main characters that make poor decisions. I just felt like there were sooooo many of them in this book. Liz attempting to solve her sister's murder while also building a relationship with the cop assigned to the same murder (who is also the murdered sister's ex!) was a bit much for me to swallow, personally.

It seemed implausible that a) the cop, Tom was assigned the case of his old girlfriend's murder in the first place, and b) he immediately confessed to having feelings for the living sister, Liz a hot minute after her sister's death and c) Liz was continually ignoring T0m's (very reasonable) requests to stop putting herself in mortal danger by playing amateur detective. All of this seemed bonkers to me.

Also I found it super creepy (and not at ALL romantic) that Tom had such poor boundaries and kept just walking into Liz's house all the time, as well as telling her stuff about the case (the ending notwithstanding, this guy seemed to SUCK at his job) saying things like, "And I shouldn't be telling you this, but I'm too tired to care right now. We don't have any real leads" and then revealing case details. WHAT?

Basically this main relationship really bugged me and that affected my enjoyment of the book overall. Thankfully there were some other interesting characters (LOVED the private investigator!) that helped to balance out things out. Overall, there was a lot to enjoy here. Just not a slam dunk for me personally.

Thanks to the author and NetGalley for granting me the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review.
DNF
maybe it was my mood or right book wrong time. It was interesting in the beginning but for some reason it felt like.. bad acting somewhat?? if that is even possible. And yes, everyone seemed like a suspect but there were a lot of
characters also to keep up with. but right already in the middle mark i was already over the story and didn’t care much to continue. Like I mentioned before it may have been just me not being immersed in the story fully
This was an average domestic mystery. It all seemed a bit far fetched. I struggled to the end. There is a lot of competition for this type of novel. Not one of my favorites.
This book was great, the characters were well developed.  The plot was interesting. Highly recommend it.
Not the first 'solving her sister's murder' but you won't see this ending coming!  Great character development even with the victim who is dead on page one.  A new author for me but thanks to an advance read by @netgalley, will loo for more Susan Richards  books!
This was one of those books I couldn't put down until I had finished it. So many twists I couldn't completely guess the ending. The characters were written well so at times I felt along with them, though I didn't cry.
Bursting with family secrets, this book draws you in by immersing you in the centre of the action. Keeping you guessing throughout, it is hard to put down but still enables you to assume the role of detective. A satisfying storyline that is avoidant of being too predictable so it is entertaining by being brimming with lively action.

Blog Review: https://drizzleofjoyblog.wordpress.com/2022/04/14/where-secrets-live/