Cover Image: Girl Overboard

Girl Overboard

A teen detective/ mystery on a cruise, sign me up! Girl Overboard revolved around Izzy, who is currently on a sunny Bermuda. cruise with her family. When Izzy meets Jade, a they form a quick connection and friendship that either saw coming. But, when Jade mysteriously disappears, and her family does not seem concerned, Izzy realized there is something else going on that she must uncover.

This is a great teen-sleuth novel that I really enjoyed. The setting of the cruise ship and the sunny islands makes this a fun destination thriller story. This has a good mystery that keeps you engaged until the end. I recommend this to any fans of the genre or those looking for a fun mystery read!
I couldn’t put this one down. So many twists and turns and I couldn’t wait to figure out who did it.
Makes me never want to take a cruise!
Girl Overboard was a fun and fast read, I read it on a vacation cruise to Bermuda, and the author really nailed the setting, excessive passenger behaviors, and the way teens are sort of left to fend for themselves onboard the ships--which basically means they're generally unsupervised with a few thousand strangers on a floating microcosm, with little to do but get bored and get in trouble. I enjoyed the character dynamics and the way the few teens on board formed instant connections; whether those connections were made due to true interest or lack of options is up for debate but that felt very authentic to me. It reminded me of the way kids form deep, instant bonds at summer camp, or other situations where you're suddenly living with a group of kids you've never met and will never see again.  I also liked the mix of affection, exasperation, concern, and disconnect between Izzy and her parents (who were trying so hard to just enjoy their vacation while parenting a teen and a toddler), I had hoped more of the action would take place on land in Bermuda, but the ship was also a great setting for this type of claustrophobic mystery, and the story utilized some of my favorite thriller tropes. I won't say what, due to spoilers, but I enjoyed a few reveals in particular and would recommend this as a good summer break beach book. Thanks to NetGalley for the early copy!
I love how so many things happened in the book. I could not keep myself from the book because it was so good
This book centers around Izzy, a teenager stuck on a cruise with her family.  At first, irritated to be cut off from her friends, Izzy ventures to the Hangout, a place for teens on the cruise.  Here she makes friends with a girl named Jade, but becomes concern when Jade suddenly goes missing.  A good young adult thriller for high school students.
A Caribbean cruise with your parents and toddler brother, what could possibly go wrong?! This YA novel is action packed, full of friendship, mystery and eye rolling parent antics. A fun easy beach read, but maybe take caution reading it on the high seas!
This one was one of those far fetched young adult novels that I just don't ever think could be true.  It did keep me on the edge of my seat for the most part though.  I think that this one would appeal to those who love unbelievable thrillers.
Girl Overboard is a YA murder mystery with a Miss Marple-esque teenage sleuth. Izzy is on a cruise with her family when she meets Jade. They begin hanging out and are forming a quick friendship when Jade disappears. Jade’s relatives don’t seem too concerned about her and Izzy’s parents take the whole incident lightly. So Izzy tries to find out the answers for herself. Thrilling hijinks occur, obviously. I thought this was a pretty well written novel. The characters were believable as high schoolers (one of my pet peeves is ostensibly teenage characters who talk like 30-somethings) and I was interested in the outcome. I did think the explanation was expected, but the description didn’t say there would be a shocking twist. I look forward to the author’s next work!
Cruises are not my jam, but when I saw this billed as a teen spin on The Woman in Cabin 10 I was intrigued. And honestly, I wasn't disappointed. I appreciated the subtle twists throughout the story and was genuinely caught off guard a few times as pieces were revealed. I felt for Jade and thought Izzy's amateur sleuthing felt authentic without being over the top un believable. Definitely a quick, enjoyable read. I'll still skip the cruise though.
Review: I needed to read a fast paced, young adult thriller and this was just perfect. Thank you to NetGalley and the author/publisher for a digital copy of this read. This was a VERY quick read. Done in about two days. I am going to keep this review short, but I did really enjoy it. Storyline was easy to follow, short chapters, and set on a cruise ship (literally my favorite thing is cruising, so a win for me.) An excellent read to help with my reading slump!
Recommend: This is a perfect read for those that are fans of YA thrillers! Also, a good summer read, as it is set during a cruise!
2.5 stars.

I was so excited to read this book, but there were a few things about it that I found upsetting, the main one being how useless the adults were. In many YA thriller novels, one of the frequent complaints that readers have is the fact that the main characters of the book often don't bother to tell any adults (or the police) about what's happening to them. In this book, the main character DOES try to tell the adults, but is gaslighted, disbelieved, and lied to. It got to the point where it became almost unbearable for me to keep reading whenever a conversation with an adult was going on.

One thing this book does a good job of is keeping your attention throughout and making it hard to put down. Unfortunately, I felt like there were too many unanswered questions at the end. I would suggest this book to younger YA audiences (or maybe even older MG) who are interested in getting introduced into the thriller/mystery genre.
This was a fun read.

I really liked our main character and was so worried for her!

The book is action-packed and I loved the cruise ship location.

While some of it was a little beyond belief, I still was on edge and rushing to finish this - I just needed to know how it all would end!

Would happily read the author again!
This was a fun, fast paced YA suspense/mystery novel! The short chapters kept me turning the page, and I was surprised by the ending. This book would be a perfect beach read! I loved it. I received a free copy of this book from netgalley and the publisher in exchange for my honest review.
This book feels more like its for an audience of younger teens. Especially those who want to start out with a mystery book. It was an okay read!
This fast-paced thriller about a girl who investigates her friend's disappearance during their cruise ship vacation is Ruth Ware’s The Woman in Cabin 10 for teens—and it’s a paperback original!

I just love a thriller on a cruise ship!  I also enjoyed the surly teenager Izzy who has been asked to limit her social media.  It made for an unputdownable and fast-paced read.I loved it!
Girl Overboard is the story of teenagers going on a cruise with their families. Izzy meets Jade as they are try to find something interesting to do on the ship. I would consider this a YA book because the main characters are under 16 but the content could easily be transferred to an adult novel.
This book was a very quick read for me, only a few hours. It kept me entertained and I loved the surprise ending. Part of the story is Izzy wanting to stay in contact with her boyfriends and friends without cell phone service. I didn't think this part of the story added to the main story but it didn't distract from it either. Overall it was a quick easy read.
I think I would’ve enjoyed it way more if I read this when I was younger. Still, am glad to have read this so I can recommend it to younger readers. Interesting plot, setting and characters, a fun read.
I wanted to root for Izzy the entire book but I just wasn’t sure if I could trust my gut and allow myself to root for her completely! Jade was suspicious but what if I was wrong?! This book kept me guessing the entire time. It was a quick read that I couldn’t put down. The cruise ship setting only added to the mystery and fast pace of this who done it thriller.
I didn’t realize this is a YA book but I enjoyed it despite being in my 40s! Izzy is on a cruise with her parents and baby brother and isn’t too thrilled about it. Luckily she is befriended by a cool girl her age. But Jade has lots of secrets and some issues and quickly goes missing. All adults seem happy to accept Jade fell overboard and is gone forever. But Izzy isn’t convinced.
Girl Overboard by Sandra Block is a fantastic young adult coming of age mystery.

A great story about navigating high school, friends and relationships as well as studies.