Cover Image: Nothing but the Night

Nothing but the Night

I had never heard of the Loeb and Leopold case but I enjoyed reading this updated view of it.  I love a book that immediately grabs my attention and this book does that.
Many thanks to St. Martin’s Press and to NetGalley for providing me with a galley in exchange for my honest opinion.
A story that I knew nothing about though I heard of Clarence Darrow many times just for some reason don’t remember this case. It evolves two rich young boys who murder another boy and then Clarence Darrow argues against the death penalty for them and wins a sentence of life without parole. That he was able to do this a hundred years ago is amazing. Parts of this book are slow like some true crime but still, it was a good read
Unfortunately dull and nothing included which I couldn't find from another source. Sadly, this one was not at all what I hoped it would be.

Thank you for sending this book to me.
NOTHING BUT THE NIGHT is a fresh, trade-press book on the notorious Leopold and Loeb story. Nathan Leopold and Richard Loeb were rich, young geniuses who read Nietzsche, felt bored, and gruesomely murdered their neighbor Bobby Franks. crime resulted in the death penalty going on trial. Clarence Darrow presented a case against the death penalty, winning life sentences for Leopold and Loeb. a quintessentially early-twentieth century media circus surrounded the trial. NOTHING BUT THE NIGHT covers all of the above and more, examining deeper than the themes of capital punishment, media and modernism. for example, the authors criticize Darrow’s renowned closing argument: “His arguments about responsibility, or lack thereof, were absurd: Darrow blamed the killers’ parents, the University of Chicago, Nietzsche, the philosopher’s publisher – anyone and everyone except Richard and Nathan.” American reception history of Friedrich Nietzsche is captured in historian Jennifer Ratner-Rosenhagen’s 2011 book AMERICAN NIETZSCHE.
I had no idea about the Leopold and Loeb murder scandal that rocked Chicago in 1924. I dived right into this true crime book head first. I was fascinated with the wealth and the why of how they could kidnap and kill a child.
The authors did a great job of piecing together all of the evidence of this duos nefarious ways.
It was like watching a fast moving runaway train.

The only downside is that the authors spent a LOT of time on the closing arguments of the court case. It was so repetitive that I began to skim the pages.
OVerall a great true crime book that highlights an important crime from almost 100 years ago.
Nearly one hundred years ago Nathan Leopold and Richard Loeb, both intelligent, privileged teenagers, were accused of killing young Bobby Franks in a gruesome fashion. What followed these atrocious events was the “Trial of the Century,” a trial that garnered a lot of attention from the press and Chicagoinas, and people's fascination with the case continues even today. With the advances in forensics and psychology, King and Wilson investigate the case, aided by the advances in these fields, bringing the case and motives into a new light.

I liked this piece of nonfiction. While there was a lot in it that I already knew, there were some new things that I was unaware of, and my previous knowledge didn’t take away from my enjoyment of the novel. I found Nothing but the Night easy to read. It read like a story; while full of facts, information and insights, I didn’t feel overloaded with information and I could simply enjoy the novel’s telling of the horrors that occurred and the aftermath.

I highly recommend Nothing but the Night: Leoplod & Loeb and the Truth Behind the Murder that Rocked 1920s America to any fan of true crime novels. Thank you to St. Martin’s Press and NetGalley for gifting to me an electronic copy of Nothing but the Night, given in exchange for an honest review; all opinions are my own.
Chicago, 1924
It's been called the first "crime of the century." Two rich, highly educated teens kill a boy for the "fun of it." They were tight friends only because each was scared the other might spill secrets about their sexual relationship.

Authors Greg King and Penny Wilson revisit the crime in the book NOTHING BUT THE NIGHT: LEOPOLD & LOEB and the truth behind the murder that rocked 1920s America (StMartinsPress).  Up until that fateful day, the two had committed petty crimes and property damage. They kidnapped the young boy, killed him in the back of a rented car, drove him out into the woods and dumped his body in a water drain. Police were soon on to Leopold and Loeb after the discovery of the body. The case started to unravel beginning with the discovery of Loeb's special glasses. They arrogantly thought they had planned a perfect crime. It was anything but clever. Loeb was the first one to cave in to cops' interrogation and Leopold soon followed. Nathan Leopold and Richard Loeb never showed remorse for the murder.

Their parents rallied around them, hiring the best defense money could buy and hoping to save them from being hanged. Their highly paid, famous defense attorney pulled all kind of tricks out of his hat to get them life in prison, even repeatedly lying. It was the first court case to introduce psychologist and psychiatrist's testimony.

Greg King has written several books about notorious crimes. This book unfolds flawlessly, is well researched and provides thoughtful insight for those aware or unaware of the crime. I'd never heard about this crime before reading this book and was captivated. A perfect novel for true crime aficionados.
This book is a true story, serial killers and their background, how they grew up has a big play in how they turned out in adulthood.  Many were abused, some had head injuries, many just normal childhood.  This book was eye opening and a disturbing to say the least.  I'm glad I read it and got an insight on what's in the head of serial killers.
I thought this was very informative book.  Honestly I skipped through quite a few sections because they were very graphic. I don’t think it was necessary to go into such specific detail about the angry and sadistic sexual events of the boys (from age 8-12) when they were very young. A general description would have still allowed the understanding of their lives.  I was fascinated by these two men and thought this book covers new in-depth ground and gives us the true story and dynamic between the two killers.
I thought this was really well-researched. I usually have a few hang-ups with the true crime genre, but this wasn't exploitative at all. Having not heard of L&L until a few years ago, and then watching a few movies inspired by/about them, I was very interested to read this book and I definitely recommend it for those interested in the case.
I really enjoyed how the story was laid out. It 1st tells about the families involved in the crime. I tells about the 2 boys young life and And goes on to explain how they came to be who they were. I thoroughly enjoyed this updated new look at the Leopold and Loeb murder of the 1920s. I’ve read about the case and was really glad to get this new book on the subject.
I didn't think this book was very graphic which is not for me as well as being extremely long and tedious. Overall I think this book was well written, well researched, and definitely tells all the details of the murder that took place.
Before diving into this one, I had only the most cursory of knowledge regarding the case. An infamous Chicago murder, Leonard and Loeb kidnapped and murdered a young boy from their neighborhood. Here, the author presents a much more detailed account of the crime, the teenage murderers and their victim as the 100-year anniversary approaches. This book certainly feels thoroughly researched and lot of this was completely new to me. Along the way, I had thought the pair were both current University of Chicago students - which they were not. At 18 and 19, they were both already college graduates. Nor was I aware that Loeb and the victim, Bobby Franks, were actually second cousins. I didn't pick up on the Anti-Semitic overtones of the newspaper coverage at the times, or the homosexual angle overall. And I didn't know that Clarence Darrow of Scopes Trial fame was one of the defense attorneys!

In this detailed and well-researched account, the book spans background on those involved, the crime itself, the investigation, trial and aftermath. I have to admit, that this was a slower read overall for me. And I am not quite sure why... though in the beginning it really bothered me the way that the authors interchangeably referred to the killers by either their first or last names. It made it seem inconsistent to say "Richard and Leonard" or "Loeb and Nathan". It just really distracted me and made the opening really drag on. But, from the trial onward, I really enjoyed it. I certainly learned quite a bit more in this deep dive into this infamous Chicago crime - it just wasn't quite the pageturner that I was expecting.
forensic never fails to amaze me and I am so thankful that the technology we have today are able to help with cases that did not have the chance to be solved properly in the past. this novel is so well written and the emotions  are well explained!
Nothing but the Night delves deep into the "crime of the century"-the murder of Bobby Franks in Chicago, IL. It was fascinating! The story is told in a linear style, which works very well for a historical true crime, and especially when you are listening!

First, the author explores the families of all the players-the victim and the two perpetrators. Then they get into all the events that led Leopold and Loeb to the murder, because exploring the psychology of these two was important. There is a lot of psychology to cover, but also a lot of sociology of the time. Understanding the world at the time of the crime really adds to the reader/listener's understanding. Part two really focuses on the trial and their defense lawyer (the famous Clarence Darrow), and then their time in prison. Overall, the story is surprising in depth for a crime that occurred in the 1920's!

The authors did a wonderful job of condensing their research into the salient information without being salacious or torrid.
The Leopold & Loeb case was one that I'd heard of, but didn't know too much about.  This new book takes the reader through the background, the murder, the trial, and the aftermath.  I would imagine that any true crime fans out there would find this as interesting as I did.
After watching two of the movies that took inspiration from this murder trial, I was curious to learn more about the real events behind it. The writing is dry and some details are repeated over and over multiple times. It wasn't an enjoyable or particularly interesting read.
I enjoyed this book, as much as one can the telling of horrific events. I appreciated the factual nature of the narrative. I’m always disappointed when authors share their viewpoints in a true crime. “just the facts” please.

Thank you to the publisher and net galley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review. This is a recommendation from me to my friends!!
I love true crime and I have never gotten very much information on Leopold and Lobe.  I basically knew the basics.  I can’t say that anymore.  I know what I feel must be all of the details. The authors weaves together every account they can find and provide a timeline of events and a history of the characters involved.  Very informative.
This was a really well written book that I enjoyed from beginning to end and could not get enough of. It moves along at a great pace which makes for an easy read. It has interesting characters that you want to know and a story that is interesting and keeps you reading till the last page. This book is a must read, no doubt about it.
True crime authors are moving into a new era, and Greg King and Penny Wilson are among the front runners. They’re ushering in well-researched, objective, and easy-to-read works for the laymen or podcast-listener. This is absolutely an era I can get behind, and I’ll be first in line for whatever they might write next.

The overall structure of the book is so good! We get everything we need to know to make an opinion for ourselves before King and Wilson even tell us their theory. The flow sets up and further supports their analysis, which makes their argument more compelling. And the research! Not only did they pull court transcripts and review psychological reports on Leopold and Loeb, King and Wilson researched character references.

The Book is full of quotes from family, friends, letters, frat brothers, neighbors, professors, and policeman: all attesting to their main idea. Leopold was the mastermind, and we need to stop generalizing two personalities. By dedicating a section to Leopold and Loeb’s childhood, King and Wilson introduce readers to compare and contrast Leopold and Loeb, come to an understanding of them as individuals, and see just how both play their part in the murder of Bobby Franks. However, at the same time, it’s cleverly setting up the key differences between both boys to elegantly tie their take together.

Their exploration is rewriting history using modern tools and understanding. Overall, though, it’s unleashing details and providing insight to other potential crimes the duo could have committed as part of their escalation to the crime they became known for. It’s a well-rounded legal and psychological case study. It’s a true crime book that doesn’t feel gross because it’s bare-faced, straightforward, and determined to expose and explain. But really, it’s honest because never once does it claim either are truly innocent.

Absolutely read this book if you’re interested in psychology, law, or true crime. The trial portion is an emotional rollercoaster with genuinely shocking moments from the defense.