Cover Image: Bake Anime

Bake Anime

Thank you to Emily J Bushman, Simon Element, S&S/Simon Element, and Netgalley for an advanced reader copy (ARC) of "Bake Anime: 75 Sweet Recipes Spotted In—and Inspired by—Your Favorite Anime (A Cookbook)" for an honest review.

This was a delightful little find, and I made little happy noises as I turned through the pages (bookmarking what I already wanted to try making myself!), knowing my students would love finding it on my classroom shelf (and that of our school library). There are so many characters and differing dish types, both American & Japanese, familiar favorites and overwhelmingly fancy pieces.
We LOVE cookbooks within our house and also are an anime household. Therefore, seeing this cookbook was really cool to come across. Some of the recipes looked great, some easy and others more complicated. It's a great addition.
Bake Anime is a fun (and admittedly slightly nerdy) tutorial guide and recipe collection for anime adjacent baking by Emily Bushman, and a thematic sister volume to 2020's Cook Anime. I couldn't see any overlap in the editing/production staff, but they have a very similar vibe, although different authors. Released 8th Nov 2022 by Simon & Schuster on their Element imprint, it's 160 pages and is available in hardcover and ebook formats.

I liked the layout here. It's lighthearted and whimsical but well written and a perfectly serviceable cookbook in its own right. The introduction includes pantry lists, equipment, and some of the author's own background as a fan of anime and Japanese culture, followed by chapters arranged thematically: Japanese desserts, western desserts, and desserts based on specific characters.

The recipes have their ingredients listed bullet style in a sidebar. Measurements are given in US standard only, with a metric/SI conversion table in the appendices. Special tools and ingredients are also listed, along with yields and cooking directions. Most of the ingredients are easily sourced at any moderately well stocked grocery store.  Each recipe has a heading with the dish's appearance in a specific anime show/episode.

Well written and organized, this could be a fun addition to the cooking repertoire. It would also lend itself very well to fans of meal planning or once-a-week-cooking. Most of these recipes make several servings which could easily be used for a week's lunch planning. I got out of the habit of  buying food at the cafe at work during the pandemic and these recipes have provided good mileage for avoiding boring lunches at work for me, as well as adding a lot of fun to my cooking.

Five stars. This would absolutely star in conjunction with an anime binge watching party with friends. Highly recommended for fans of anime or anime/manga culture. I could see this also being a good choice for a reluctant cook, to get them into the kitchen and making food.

Wow these recipes are almost too pretty to eat. This would make the perfect gift for any anime fan in your life.

To me, these recipes aren’t something I’d incorporate in my everyday baking. However, they are fun and beautiful recipes for a special occasion.
I thought this was a book about decorating anime shaped cookies. Instead (and much better) it is a book about the foods that show up in anime and about the cultural and dramatic cues they represent. Alas, I am not an anime follower so I can't comment on the book at all except to say I think it is a wonderful concept and the recipes seem fine.
I received a copy of this book for a fair and honest review. The pictures of the desserts are amazing and the recipes seem simple enough to follow. I like that it tells you all the tools you could need and all the party items that you are going to need to make the Japanese dessert that might not normally be in your pantry. Oh, it is cool that it tells you which Anime each recipe comes from. It is split into Japanese recipes and Non-Japanese recipes. This means recipes from other places in the world. I am going to have to try some like the Japanese Strawberry Shortcake. Yum Yum
If you love to bake and anime this is definitely a book for you.  You are introduced to a variety of bakes from Japanese desserts to desserts inspired by anime, even some that are non-Japanese.  The recipes are well written and the pictures beautifully display the end results.  I will say that the recipes were in depth and on the harder side but I've learned with baking if you follow a recipe precisely things tend to turn out better.  I tried a couple of the recipes and they weren't perfect but were tasty.  I look forward to improving  upon them and trying some others.  The anime included was a wonderful variety and will definitely speak to those who love the genre.
Super fun if finicky recipes fill Bake Anime. All of those scrumptious pastries that fill your favorite anime can be found here. Most of the recipes taste great, but the focus is definitely on presentation. Good gift for anime lovers and aspiring bakers. Measurements are given in volume and temperatures are in Fahrenheit.
This was a fun read. It was fun to have some background to each recipe, where it came from historically and also where it could be found in an anime setting. It was very helpful to have a list of items and ingredients one might need at the beginning of the book, and also have an explanation of what they were rather just listing them by name. One of the things I appreciated most was the authors suggestions of substitutions if you could not find an ingredient or would like to make a recipe your own. Recipes were easy to follow with through instructions, tips and suggestions. Fun for anyone who likes food and anime!
This is a really well-done cookbook! It offers just enough information and background on the recipes, has beautiful photos and presents a huge variety of baked goods. It would make an excellent holiday present for anyone with an interest in cooking, anime, or Japanese culture. It's on my list!

Thank you to NetGalley for an advance copy of this book and for making me hungry! ;-)
I am obsessed with this cookbook, I can't wait to purchase a physical copy. The recipes were so well chosen and really easy to follow.
It is a cute book.. Some adventurous teen might tackle some of the recipes.  I wish it had more pictures.  I like to see the food I am cooking.
I really enjoyed looking through this cookbook and drooling over the amazing looking recipes! I don't have confidence in my own baking skills and these recipes look hard for a novice like me, but I am very much looking forward to persuading my friends into making some of these recipes for me.
Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for letting me review this book. Reading about the various anime in each recipe was great. It makes me want to check out the ones I haven’t seen. This was a fun cookbook to read. The various recipe pictures were great. I liked that each recipe had tips and food facts.
I love how the book is organized.  It is Japanese desserts, non Japanese desserts, then anime inspired desserts. It is a fun way to organize the dishes and I cannot wait to try every single one of them. Super excited for this to come out!
No art form makes food look as tasty as anime does. This cookbook recreates dishes from classics such as Spirited Away and My Neighbor Totoro and some new favorites like Demon Slayer and Food Wars. In fact, there are quite a few Food Wars recipes in here, as there should be. I was pleasantly surprised to see on from Tanaka-kun is Always Listless as well! Beautiful photographs, easy to understand conversion chart, and helpful tips make this an ideal cookbook for any collection.
Bushmanʻs goal in writing Bake Anime was to supply recipes that go along with the anime (manga) that she loves.  In this sense, the book hits the right mark.  The book is separated into several categories and in each category, the author presents recipes that represent them very well.  The chapters include beautiful drawings and vivid photos.

The selection of recipes for each chapter was quite good and the descriptions truly match the anime that she is representing.  I tried a number of the recipes in this book.  Some of the recipes call for unusual ingredients (even if you have an H Mart nearby).  Also, a number of recipes did not result in baked goods that were as good as those that could be found either in local Asian bakeries or other similar cookbooks.  Some of the recipes result in very cute (photo-worthy) items, but some look better than they taste.  (The tastes were never bad, just not as interesting as the photos would imply.)

If you are a lover of anime and would like to make some of the beautiful baked goods come to life, this is a good book to try.  The creativity of the recipe choices matches the anime with which the author connected.
I loved this cookbook with its super cute photos of Japanese desserts. I have been attracted by Japanese treats for a while now, and this book taught me more about Japanese culture and customs. I am still intimidated by the recipes and I don't feel ready to jump into one just yet because I am far from being a decent baker. BUT I am planning on purchasing this book and place it on my coffee table since I know it will be a conversation starter every time I have a friends visiting. Go get yours now!
This was a super cute cookbook! The colors, photos and formatting were clean, crisp and delicious looking. There was a wide array of recipes and anime represented too. I haven't tested any recipes, but the instructions all seem clear and easy enough to follow.
A fun and colorful anime cookbook! I loved the layout and different food options. And the references to all the different animes were fun to experience.