Cover Image: The Lost Ticket

The Lost Ticket

The Lost Ticket by Freya Sampson is the most heartwarming, feel good book I’ve read all year.  The story follows what happens when strangers on a bus come together to try to help an elderly man find the love of his life.  Reading it felt like I was being given a warm hug and I just loved every page of it.

Libby Nichols moves to London after being dumped by her boyfriend.  Her heart is broken and her life is a mess, and she could really use a distraction from her misery.  While riding the number 88 bus one day, she meets a friendly elderly gentleman named Frank.  Frank tells Libby that back in 1962, he met a young red haired woman on the same bus.  He and this young woman really connected during the journey and made plans to go out together.  The woman wrote her number on a bus ticket and gave it to Frank, but by the time he got home, Frank realized he had lost the ticket.  Frank confides to Libby that he is still riding the number 88 all these years later in hopes of finding her. Libby is so moved by Frank’s story that she feels compelled to help him try to find the mystery woman.

I absolutely adored Frank. He’s such a sweet old man, and as soon as you hear his story, you can’t help but cheer him on and hope that he finds this woman.  It’s especially poignant because Frank is in the early stages of dementia and is well aware that he could very easily forget all about her before he has ever had a chance to see her again.  I also loved that even though this quest starts out as a distraction for Libby, she quickly becomes very invested in Frank and thinks of him as practically family.  It was really sweet to watch the two of them bond.

Libby is just as likable as Frank is.  I felt so much sympathy for her after her break up.  Her ex made her feel so bad about herself, and then her own family doesn’t do much to make her feel any better. Instead, they just pile on and make her feel worse.  I loved that she found Frank because he was just such a breath of fresh air and exactly what Libby needed to start feeling better about herself and her life.

While the friendship between Libby and Frank is a highlight, it becomes even more special when their connection expands to include Dylan, who is Frank’s caregiver, and Esme, who is Dylan’s friend.  Dylan and Esme, as well as another passenger from the bus, all join in the efforts to find Frank’s mystery woman. There are some bumps in the road between Libby and Dylan, who are clearly attracted to one another, but  they all end up very close, the found family that Libby needs since her own family isn’t being overly supportive.  I just love the idea that a chance meeting has the potential to be such a life-changing experience for so many people.

I don’t feel like I’m doing The Lost Ticket justice with anything I’m writing because it just has this special quality that is hard to explain and it was the ultimate comfort read for me.   If you’re in the mood for an uplifting and poignant read, this is the book you’re looking for.
"The Lost Ticket" by Freya Sampson is a story about unexpected friendships!

Have you ever met someone, by chance, which ends up having a substantial impact on your life?

That's what happens to Libby Nicholls when she meets eighty-two-year-old Frank Weiss on the number 88 Bus in London. Frank tells her about a girl with beautiful red hair, just like Libby's, he met, by chance, sixty years ago...

April 1962:
From inside the bus, Frank sees her standing at the bus stop uniquely dressed in wide-legged pants, an oversized tweed blazer and a black beret. With a quick glance at her green eyes, he feels an instant attraction. He can't stop himself from staring at her when she sits across the aisle from him and estimates her age to be eighteen, or nineteen years old.

They strike up a conversation. She tells him how she realized her dream of becoming an artist and he shares his dream of becoming an actor. She draws his picture and he gives her a Jack Kerouac book he's reading about the 'Beat Generation'.

Before the bus arrives at her stop, they set a date to meet at the National Gallery, a place Frank has never been and one she loves and visits often. Before exiting the bus, she writes her phone number on her ticket and hands it to Frank. He assures her he will call her that night.

At home, when Frank dips his hand into his jacket pocket for the ticket, it's not there. He lost the ticket with her phone number and he doesn't even know her name!

Libby is inspired by Frank's resilience and his touching story of lost love. She aims to do everything she possibly can to help him find his 'girl on the 88 Bus'!

Give me a story about an octogenarian with complex characters, relevant social topics, in a great setting, and it puts me in my happy place. I picked this up every spare moment and I loved how it played out.

This is thoughtful storytelling using important topics that impact us emotionally, at different stages in our lives, in unpredictable ways. How one copes with these challenges and who is there to offer help, hope, and support are the pieces and parts that makes it so special. The author writes in layers, creating texture to the story and its characters, which you begin to care about and root for all the way!

I highly recommend this book to all who enjoy reading about the joys of unexpected friendships! 4.25 stars!

Thank you to Elisha at Berkley for a widget of this ARC through NetGalley. It has been my pleasure to give my honest and voluntary review.
This is such a sweet story about a missed connection and those who come together to help grant an elderly man's last wish.

The Lost Ticket is filled with heartwarming characters that the reader can connect with. Libby has just been dumped by her longtime boyfriend and loses her job working at his business in the process. She moves in with her sister, a lawyer with a young son Hector, and her brother-in-law. While riding on the Number 88 bus, Libby meets 88-year-old Frank, who met a woman on that same bus in 1962, and lost her number soon after. He regularly rides the same route, looking to see the mystery woman again. Libby meets Frank's caregiver Dylan and realizes that Frank has dementia. The two join forces to put up flyers trying to find the woman from the missed connection before it's too late.

I liked this book more than Sampson's previous book The Last Chance Library. I loved Hector and his funny statements, and I overall loved all of the characters that added their own special spark to the novel. This is a story that made my heart happy and I ended the book with a smile on my face. The quest to find the woman didn't end in the way I was expecting, but it ended in exactly the right way. I was content and satisfied with the conclusion to this sweet book.

If you're looking for something to provide a bit of lightness and joy, then The Lost Ticket is the perfect choice.
A heartwarming and heartfelt story about strangers finding connection and second chances perfect for fans of Iona Iverson's rules for commuting or All the lonely people. Much thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for an early digital copy in exchange for my honest review!! I didn't love this one quite as much as the author's first book but it was still solidly entertaining and enjoyable!
It’s hard to find books that can break through to my cold black heart but oh my stars this one got to me! It was an inspiring story with loveable characters that satisfied my soul. All about the simple impressions we make on the everyday people we meet that impact them forever and we may not even know it.
Frank meets the most charming woman on the number 88 bus in 1962 completely by accident. She inspires him to step out from his everyday life and try what he’s always longed to do, which is acting, even though his parents don’t support it. She doesn’t just talk the talks she walks the walk-she dropped out of school to become an artist. That conversation with her changed Frank’s life forever. She gave him her number so they could meet up again, but Frank lost it, and therefore had no way to contact her or find her other than to look for her on the bus. So for over 60 years, as he went on with his life, Frank went back to ride the bus on a regular basis in the hopes of finding her and thanking her for the impact she had on his life. As Alzheimer’s is slipping in to steal away his memories, he happens to meet Libby on the bus one day, who is riding to her sisters house after having her heart broken by her long time boyfriend. She reminds Frank of the woman of many years ago (they both have red hair) and he starts to tell her his story) and together they set our to try to find his mystery women.  Soon the story gets around & people try to help, including the bus driver, and Frank’s caretaker, who soon catches Libby’s eye.

Everyone will enjoy this heartwarming story of love, life, loss and happiness.
Thanks to Berkley Books and NetGalley for this eArc in exchange for my review.
The Lost Ticket by Freya Sampson is the uplifting read WE ALL NEED right now. Are you sad? Read this book. Are you happy? Well then what are you waiting for? Go and read this book.

The Lost Ticket is a heartfelt book about a women called Libby who decides to help Frank find his long lost love, whose phone number he lost (it was written on a bus ticket, hence the title) 60 YEARS BACK. (I am sure you just said Awww at how sweet it sounds)

I started reading The Lost Ticket a few days back ~ and just wow. This book made me see the kindness of strangers in a completely different light. After Libby's life takes an unseen turn, she unexpectedly makes new friends on the 88 Bus and finds solace in them. ❤️ I loved seeing Libby grow throughout the story. The themes of friendship and love were so beautifully portrayed in this book! The story was an absolute page-turner ~ I finished reading it in a day because I just had to know if Franks succeeds in finding his one true love! . It is not one of those extra cheesy books though - it's realistic and sweet, and will really pull at your heartstrings all throughout the way. 💕 I got really invested in the characters' lives, and you know what? I really miss my 88 Bus fam right now. I want more 😭
Oh my god, I knew this book was going to be good! I was so thrilled to be given this book. Honestly, I found myself relating to Libby in this book quite a bit. It was so good and it had my heart a little pounding. I definitely almost cried a few times and it was interesting! I was so in love with the Frank storyline and honestly, it reminded me of my grandfather it was just such a fun plot device that felt so deeply engrained into my soul. I really love Dylan though, I was glad the romance wasn't the sole focal point, but it was still really good seeing Libby find herself and the relationship she deserves. Seriously everyone should read this book it's so heartfelt and beautiful I absolutely loved it.
3.5 stars — Tender and bittersweet, The Lost Ticket is a tribute to the chance encounters that change our lives. Sampson's writing is sharp and incredibly readable, making for a breezy read, even in the darker moments. The second half was a little less enjoyable because there's a lot of the heroine's asshole ex, when I really just wanted to spend more time with her budding romance and found family, but it all worked out in the end, and I was sorry to say goodbye.

My thanks to NetGalley and Berkley for providing an eARC in exchange for an honest review.
How sweet is this...Frank met a girl on Bus 88 60 years ago, and he is still looking for her.

They met and chatted, and Frank promised to call her, but he lost the ticket she wrote her phone number on.

He never forgot her and rides Bus 88 every day in hopes of finding his long, lost, red-haired love.

We then meet Libby who is coming to live with her sister.

Libby meets 80ish Frank, and he tells her his story.  Libby is determined to help Frank find his lost love.

Libby also meets Dylan who is the grumpiest person she ever met, but he turns out to be Frank's caregiver.

How does that turn out?

Dylan and Libby become friends and embark on a journey to see if they can find Frank's lost love. Does this help them find love?

Dylan was a tough one, but you will fall in love with him and all the characters.  Most are very sweet and endearing.

THE LOST TICKET is a very heartwarming and at times heart wrenching book that will have you in tears, but not sad tears.

You won't want to stop reading because you want to find out if they find Frank's lost love and if anything happens with Libby and tough Dylan.

LOVED this book.

If you need a sweet, uplifting read, this is it. 5/5

This book was given to me by the publisher for an honest review.
Libby Nichols arrives in London brokenhearted and unexpectedly unemployed. The first person she meets is Frank, an elderly gentleman on the number 88 bus, who tells her about another bus ride in 1962 when he met an unforgettable young woman with gorgeous red hair just like Libby’s. They made plans for a date, but Frank lost the bus ticket where the woman wrote down her phone number. He’s been riding the number 88 daily, hoping to find her ever since. With lots of free time on her hands, Libby decides to take action and help Frank find his mystery woman. With the help of those she meets along the bus route, can they find her before Frank’s dementia takes hold of him?

Oh my heart. This was the most precious story I’ve read recently. I absolutely adored the relationships between Libby, Frank, and Dylan. These three characters were all missing something in their lives and their hearts, and together they became whole.

I devoured this book in a day. I just needed to know! Does Frank find his lady? Does Libby find her happiness? Is Dylan’s heart as hard as he portrays it to be? This story unfolded slowly and beautifully, like unwrapping a special gift. It is one of those special stories that you read quickly so you can know what happens while you’re simultaneously slowing it down because you just don’t want it to end. I will miss these characters. ❤️

Thank you to Netgalley, Berkley Publishing, and the author for this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Another heartwarming story from the author of The Last Chance Library.

Frank was a young man in 1962 when he took the number 88 bus in London and met a young lady. They chatted and he was so into her. They discussed visiting an art gallery together…and then he lost the bus ticket that she scribbled her phone number on.

60 years later, Libby is a young woman who has just broken up with her boyfriend and got booted from his house. Heartbroken, she takes the number 88 bus one day and happens to meet Frank. He eventually shares his story of lost love with her, and confides that he has ridden the bus almost every day for the last 60 years…hoping to find the lady whose phone number he lost. Awww…

Libby is absolutely touched, and decides to help Frank try and find his love. As Frank and Libby grow closer, Libby also opens herself up to new friendships and life experiences. She and her new friends are just hoping they can find the mysterious woman before time runs out, given Frank has Dementia.

I really enjoyed all the charm and wonderful characters that Freya Sampson wrote about in her debut novel last year. I am thrilled to say that this one includes the same positives. This is such a sweet story that will have you rooting for everyone, falling in love with the characters, and wishing for the best possible outcome. It’s a truly touching book, and I’m already looking forward to the author’s next novel!

Thank you to Elisha at Berkley for providing me with a widget in exchange for an honest review. Expected Publication Date: 8/30/22.
Short synopsis: When Libby’s long time boyfriend unexpectedly breaks up with her, she meets a man on the 88 bus who has been looking for a girl he met 60 years prior.

My thoughts: This book made my heart do so many different things, mostly shatter into a million pieces then feel so warm with happiness.

I enjoyed seeing the growth Libby went through on her journey of self discovery. Dylan was such an interesting unexpected person that I grew to adore with his rough exterior and kind heart.

And Frank… I love Frank, such a great character with so much depth and determination. I have a grandma who is struggling with her memories so maybe this is partially why his story struck such a cord with me.

I loved how this ended. Just the sweetest story!  Not many books make me cry actual tears, but this one got me good!

Read if you love:
* Unexpected friends
* Long lost love
* Sketches of strangers on busses
* Determination and growth
I cannot gush enough about The Lost Ticket by @freyasampsonauthor . Oh my heart. It is the story of strangers who unite on a London bus to help an elderly man find a woman he met and fell in love with on that same bus in 1962. The quest causes Libby, the main character, to realize that she also deserves happiness and love. These characters are such likable, relatable, well-developed characters who banter about in such a clever and witty way. The book exudes kindness and compassion. It emphasizes how one little kind act can make a difference in someone’s life. It emphasizes how you cannot judge a book by its cover and how people may surprise you. It emphasizes that you need to open your heart and let others in so you can be truly happy. Such an uplifting, perfect book that I just want to hug.
I just loved reading this book! It's heartwarming, sweet, and touching. It got me teary eyed more than once, and I just wanted to hug the book close at the end. I'd recommend it for readers who enjoy books about the connections between people, kind of similar to Remarkably Bright Creatures or Anxious People.

While the main premise of the book is Libby trying to help Frank, the focus is the characters and the coincidences of life that connect or separate people. There are the two main characters: 80-year-old Frank, who's looking for his missed connection, Libby who is trying to figure out her new life. Then there's Dylan, a punker who's so caring, Esme who's bold and hilarious and other characters on the 88 bus.

These characters are very well written and make for a beautiful found family. Reading this book is at times heartbreaking, at times bittersweet but all in all beautiful. I loved watching them slowly become a band of unlikely friends, and even a family.

I connected to these characters so much, that even though there isn't necessarily a page turner intrigue to it, I couldn't put the book down. I read it in one day. They're all so easy to root for, I wanted to make sure that they all get the happy ending they deserve.

There's also a romance in here that is really sweet as well. I loved that the love interest is not the kind you usually see in books. Despite his tough exterior, he's a cinnamon roll who was so thoughtful and loving towards Libby. I really enjoyed seeing him slowly shed his protective layers to show his true self to her.

I had a few nitpicks about the book, like how terrible the "villains" of the story were, and the fact that it had the third act breakup even though it didn't really need it. But these were small issues compared to how much I enjoyed reading this book.

Overall rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐.5
This book is beyond beautiful. It is heart-breaking & hopeful, sad but also brilliantly optimistic. I cried not once while reading this, but at least three times. I will admit at one point, I had to put my kindle reader down because I couldn't see through my tears. The characters are deep, dimensional flawed humans that just want to be loved and be seen who they really are. Sometimes the smallest moment, or a random person you meet on a bus can change your life forever. Its every small and every big choice that we make that shapes who we become. And who we become may one day help shape someone else's future.

I was blown away by this book & I will definitely being recommending it to all my reader friends. A book that makes you feel something so deeply that you have a visceral reaction to its words is a book I will always want on my shelf.
This book is simply amazing as I'm left clutching my heart after its story.  Jump aboard the 88 bus in London for a beautiful ride that brings strangers together to change their lives forever.

Meet Frank, in 1962, met the women of his dreams on the 88 bus. Ever since their fateful meeting, he never gave up hope he'd see her again after he loses her number. Now nearing 80, and facing memory challenges he meets Libby on the 88 bus line who makes it her mission to find his lost love. She befriends Frank's carer Dylan, a punk rocker with a mohawk  who becomes her unlikely partner in plastering the the bus route with flyers in search of this women.

Libby's life is in shambles after a bad breakup and all she wants to do is bring happiness to Frank. Together, Frank, Libby and Dylan form a bond for an uplifting story of family, friendship and love.  The Lost Ticket will make you believe in humanity.

Thank you Berkley Publishing for the ARC.
When Libby moves to London, the first person she meets is Frank, an elderly man riding the 88 bus. He tells her about a woman he met 60 years ago on the 88 bus, and despite connecting with her, he never saw her again because he lost the bus ticket with her number on it. He’s been riding the 88 bus for 60 years hoping to see that woman again. After hearing this story, Libby is determined to help Frank find his mystery woman.

This book ripped my heart out and put it back together again. This was one of the most unexpectedly beautiful stories I’ve read in a long time. Each of the characters was quirky and delightful. I loved how this group of strangers came together to try to find Frank’s mystery woman, and in the process helped each other heal and became their own little family. If you are looking for a book that will warm your heart and put a smile of your face, look no further.

Thank you to Berkley Publishing for the gifted copy
This beautiful and heartwarming book centers on the 88 bus in London. This bus drew strangers together and changed their lives forever.
In 1962 Frank met a girl on the bus and he’s been searching for her ever since. A cast of strangers unite to try to find the lost woman, but in the process become a family themselves and learn to grab on to love before it’s too late. Equal parts heartbreaking and heartwarming this book will hit you in all the feelings.

Huge thank you to @berkleypub @berittalksbooks @thephdivabooks  @dg_reads and @netgalley for an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.
After reading two books by Freya Sampson I can say that she knows how to write moving stories. The heart of this story were the three main characters – Libby, Dylan, and Frank, and the beautiful connections they made with each other while dealing with their personal difficulties.

Libby had recently been dumped by her boyfriend of 8 years. With no other options, she accepted an offer to stay with her sister. She adored her adorable nephew, but her relationship with the rest of her family was a bit strained. Their judgements only compounded the hurt and insecurities she was dealing with following the break-up. Being in the company of Frank and Dylan was quite fortifying for her. They recognized her strengths and encouraged her in ways others never did. Her personal journey and all the progress she made filled me with happiness and pride.

Frank was something special too. He spent 60 years searching for the woman who changed his life. He had one conversation with her, on the 88, and it convinced him to make a bold decision which altered his life’s trajectory. What a story! And, Frank was such a kind and beautiful soul. Not only was Libby gun-ho to help him find this mystery woman, but she was joined by his carer, Dylan, as well as people who had been impacted by Frank’s kindness in the past. I revel in stories of connection and humanity, and you know my heart grew two sizes from all this.

The main focus of this story may have been Libby picking up the pieces of her life, but the search for the Girl on the 88 and the wonderful “family” she found were some of the best parts of the story for me. I fell in love with this crew, and appreciated that they were able to find happiness after weathering their personal storms. Such a touching and ultimately feel-good story. There were so many themes woven into this tale including love, loss, aging, acceptance, and family. I don’t know how to articulate my affection, but I laughed, I cried, I LOVED this book!
Frank, a man in his 80s, has been searching for the woman who changed his life. In 1962, he met a spirited red-headed young woman on his local bus. The two had an immediate connection. An aspiring artist, she drew a quick portrait of him and gave Frank her name and number on the back of her bus ticket with plans to meet. She also encouraged him to pursue his dream of becoming an actor. When he got home, he realized he had lost the ticket. Frank never saw the woman again. Decades later, after a career as an actor, Frank has never stopped looking for "his girl". He rides the same bus route hoping he'll see her again. On one ride, he meets Libby. She is about to turn 30 years old and has just been dumped by Simon, her boyfriend of eight years. Without a job and nowhere to live, she moves in temporarily with her sister and brother-in-law, helping with the care of her nephew. An unlikely friendship develops between Libby and Frank as Libby, with the help of his caregiver Dylan, an imposing man with tattoos and a mohawk, set out to find the girl Frank met on the bus all those years ago.

The Lost Ticket completely captured my heart. Author Freya Sampson has created a lovely and moving story that brings together a group of people who provide love and support for one another at a time when they truly need it. It's also a page-turner that keeps the reader wanting to desperately know if Frank will ever find the woman he is searching for. I became very attached to all of the wonderful characters. I'm so glad I took a short break from thrillers and heavy historical fiction to read this touching book that tapped into so many emotions.