Cover Image: The Woman in the Woods

The Woman in the Woods

"She's out there. Waiting for you.

A haunting read about witchcraft and superstition from Lisa Hall...

Is her family in danger?

When Allie moves to a quaint old cottage with her husband, it's their dream home. Nestled in the village of Pluckley, it seems a perfect haven in which to raise their two children. But Pluckley has a reputation. It's known as England's most haunted village. And not long after the birth of their new son, Allie begins to notice strange things...

What's the flash of white she sees moving quickly through the woods to the back of their house? And what's the strange scratching noise coming from the chimney?

As Allie discovers more about the history of their new home, she uncovers a story of witchcraft and superstition, which casts a long shadow into the present day. And not everything is as it seems. Her family might well be in danger, but it's a danger none of them could have foreseen...

Bestseller Lisa Hall's The Woman in the Woods is full of creeping unease and nerve-wracking tension, and will have readers on the edge of their seats..."

Aw yeah, haunted villages!
Not a bad read, but I didn’t like it as much as I was expecting. I have read so many domestic thrillers with unreliable narrators, that I saw many of the twists coming. I didn’t connect with Allie at all. It’s impossible to explain why I didn’t like this novel without giving away the ending, so I will say that I enjoyed some creepy scenes in the middle of the night, with Allie standing by the window while a figure in white watches her from afar. It’s a solid book for fans of this genre, it just wasn’t for me.
I chose to read this book and all opinions in this review are my own and completely unbiased. Thank you, #NetGalley/#Harper 360, HQ!
Whoa! What a ride. It was very fast-paced. The writing style kept me hooked and I didn't find myself losing any interest. I enjoyed getting to know each of the characters and how real the story felt. The author did a great job painting the setting, so it was easy for me to visualize the scene played out before me.  I recommend giving this one a chance!
I'm a sucker for old cottages, quaint villages and a touch of spooky and this checked all the boxes. A real page turner that had me sleeping with the lights on
I thought that this book was beautifully written and and engaging with some surprising twists that were semi-shocking.

I am only giving it a four thought because it does portray some thriller genre tropes that I am quite tired of seeing. This includes marital troubles, a general lack of communication, and SPOILER ALERT a "crazy" female lead. By the end of the book, I just wanted to shake some sense into the main character's husband and best friend.

Was is a good story? Yes.
Could it have logically ended sooner? Yes.
If it ended sooner, then would we have this book? Probably not.

In conclusion, I generally liked the book with a few minor exceptions.
A great page turner. what surprised me was how much this book creeped me out. i was not expecting to feel so unsettled at the end, but it was worth the read. this is one of those go into the book blindly so you are scared to the max, it was creepy and unsettling. wow, i am glad i did not read this book at night or i do not know if i would be sleeping ever again, wow, i am still in shock. but i am glad i devoured the book so quickly because it was worth the read.
3⭐
 This was another slow burn supernatural thriller. We follow Allie and her family as they are settling into their new home. Of course, it is a secluded big house in the country. Allie and her husband, Rav are drifting, and she is dealing with a little post partum after her second child's birth.
 I enjoyed this novel for the most part, although I found it really dragged at parts. Also, the ending was a little predictable, honestly, which can be ok, but gets hard to read book after book. I found Allie a little hard to root for, she came off as a little too Whiny. I still have this three stars. It was entertaining, and easy to get through.
This book was not the book for me. I found it rather boring, not gripping nor suspenseful. I forced myself to finish this book. There were long dense paragraphs of descriptions and Allie’s thoughts (as it is in the first person point of view). It was just blocks and blocks of text with hardly any dialogue break. I know what the author was trying to do with this book, and in my opinion, it fell flat and failed. I am, however, able to give the book two stars instead of the one that I was going to give it because there is a small twist in there that I didn’t see coming.
Having a toddler and a new baby is hard. Moving to a cottage that is also called the "witches cottage" with two children and a husband that thinks you are going mad is harder.  I had to keep reading to see what happens next with this one. A great page turning read
The Woman in the Woods is an unsettling yet highly addicting read. I simply couldn't put it down even though I got some chills while reading it! This is the first book I've read from the author and I know in the near future I'll be reading many more!
This ARC was provided to me via Kindle,  Harper360  and  by #NetGalley. Opinions expressed are completely my own.

Fast paced and enjoyable, I couldn’t put it down.
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for allowing me to review this book.

Allie is having a tough time adjusting after the birth of her son, Leo. A new home, two young children, and a husband that works too much begin to take their toll on her. Nothing is what it seems.

I thought this book was plodding. There were parts that seemed to drag. meanwhile, the author basically lays the story out for you from the beginning. I wanted a twist or something, but there wasn't anything there. It's not a bad book by any stretch, but it just falls a little flat.
Chilling, spooky, witchy. Lots of great twists. I really enjoyed this thriller, though it did take me a while to get used to the author's writing style. The build-up was so intense, I expected a breath taking ending but it wasn't. It was a bit of a let down after such a great ride.
Thank you to Netgalley and Harper 360 for this ARC of The Woman in the Woods.

Wait, that's it? I was so intrigued, dying to see what happens and that was honestly my reaction at the end. I did already figure everything out very early on but was still craving to see what happens next. This definitely kept me engrossed the entire book but I still can't help but feel disappointed in the ending. I wanted so much more than what it gave. However, it was still an enjoyable read and had it's chilling moments but I guess the twisty thriller reader in me just wasn't completely satisfied.
To start off, I have absolutely no idea how to feel about this book.

I was extremely frustrated with this author and this story, and I have to applaud the author for being able to elicit such a deep level of feeling, but at the same time, those are not the emotions I want to be feeling when I am reading a story.

There were so many damn red herrings that could have taken this story in so many directions. There were so many moments where I felt the author was building up to something amazing and fantastic and completely unexpected, and then she would switch and turn around and go somewhere else and do the same thing. Now these moments were not by any means amazing, but they added up and created expectation for multiple types of endings that were far more exciting than what we actually got. Eventually, there were too many moments to make sense of anything, all of them interspersed with one another and then when we finally got to the actual ending, there was no prominent build up for it, there was no explanation of the biggest red herrings we saw and there was no excitement. It was the equivalent of stuffing everything into a trash bag, tying it up and then tossing it by the bins. And that is just for the ending.

Regarding the story, think of it as having a box covered in golf leaf and beautiful designs, and then opening it, only to find a keychain, or a pair of socks. You got something, and it wasn't necessarily bad, but it did not meet the expectations associated with the decoration of the box. It felt like this story was so focused on getting to the ending and on creating expectation, that it forgot entirely about the ending and making sure it tied in with the expectations that were created by the story. It honestly felt like this ending came out of nowhere and if I am being completely honest, I would have been more satisfied without the prologue.

All in all, the author did a good job of making me feel, but those weren't the feelings I wanted to feel. I would develop these expectations and then be yanked around and told to expect something else, and then to expect another thing and that just led to frustration. It seemed to me that this author did not know where they wanted to go, and I was just along for the ride. If this review makes no sense, that's because a lot of this story didn't make sense to me either. All I truly know, is that this book did not leave me feeling happy or elated.
I am so in love with this cover. And the book was a fast read that I did not wanna put down. I felt like some parts were slow but over all an amazing read and I want this on my shelf for my collection. August can't come soon enough.
Wooh! Lisa Hall sure can write a book! This book gave me the hee-bee-jees and made me shiver. I really liked the lead character of Allie and the premise and delivery of this book. Beware: this book will keep you on your toes!
When Allie moves to a quaint old cottage with her husband, it’s their dream home. Nestled in the village of Pluckley, it seems a perfect haven in which to raise their two children. But Pluckley has a reputation. It’s known as England’s most haunted village. And not long after the birth of their new son, Allie begins to notice strange things. What’s the flash of white she sees moving quickly through the woods to the back of their house? And what’s the strange scratching noise from the chimney? As Allie discovers more about the history of their new home, she uncovers a story of witchcraft and superstition, which casts a long shadow into the present day. And not everything is as it seems. Her family might well be in danger, but it’s a danger none of them could have foreseen.

The Woman in the Woods is a dark and spooky psychological thriller. It would be a perfect Autumn/Halloween season read. I found the witchcraft theme and the history of the house, along with the legends of Pluckley, so enjoyable. I found myself wishing for more in that area. Some may be sensitive to the mental health issues and the stresses of motherhood that the story touches on.

The plot was a little too slow for me. I realize a story like this does need a bit of a build-up, but there was a lot of repetition that could have been cut out.

Thank you to NetGalley for the opportunity to read an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Pluckey, the most haunted town in England, is where Rav, Allie and the children move to escape city life. They move into a lovely cottage that Allie finds out had belonged to a witch who lost her daughter and takes other children. She soon sees an image in the mirror, hears scratching in the walls and sees someone in white in the forest behind their home.  Is she being haunted by the witch or is it something else?

What an exciting book this was.  I couldn’t put it down. Just when you think one thing you’re pulled in the opposite direction.  Great story, likable characters and the perfect setting for this tale.  Scary in so many ways.
A move to the country to take up residence in a cottage seems like the perfect place for Allie and her husband to raise their family. Allie tries not to let the fact that the village of Pluckley is considered the most haunted in Britain bother her, but after the birth of her new son, Allie begins to see and hear things – a flash of something just out of the corner of her vision and the sound of something scrabbling around in their chimney. After having her concerns dismissed by her husband and friends, Allie begins to believe that her family is in mortal danger and that she is the only one who can save them. Readers may have an inkling what’s happening here, I admit I guessed it about halfway through, but I still wasn’t sure until almost the end. Regardless, this is a creepy and absorbing read