Cover Image: Busy Little Hands: Science Play!

Busy Little Hands: Science Play!

This has been super helpful for my library staff to provide programming for toddlers and preschoolers, especially since COVID!
What an excellent introduction to the scientific method and various scientific concepts (leverage, states of matter, biodiversity, etc.) for pre-K children!   This not only includes a very clear, kid-friendly explanation of the scientific method, but also features dozens of simple science experiments.  A helpful appendix summarizes the concepts behind each activity for adults.

Each experiment is described with pictures and step-by-step instructions and they all use simple, readily available materials.   The supplemental information bolstered my confidence as an adult many years removed from school--I knew prisms were cool and had something to do with light, but I was a little fuzzy on exactly what.  Now I can explain it to a small child as we try that experiment.   This is a fantastic resource both for classrooms and home and I would strongly recommend teachers and caregivers pick it up!

Many thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review!
I am a high school science teacher with a young so n so I was excited to see what science explorations this book had for young children. I was impressed with what this book had to offer and the extent of different explorations, I even use expanded versions of some of these in my own classroom  as activities. These are a great way to get kids interested in science and it uses items you would most likely already have at home! My son is only two and I didn’t really see anything that would be appropriate for him, most of these are geared for 4+.

Thanks to NetGalley and author Susan Edwards Richmond for the free digital copy in exchange for my honest review. I can say this book will be added to our li early when it is released!
Lots of great experiments for preschoolers and kindergarteners.  I’ll look forward to seeing this in its print format.  Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for a complimentary copy of this book.
A great selection of simple experiments for children to begin to explore scientific concepts. Each experiment is labelled with the area of science it covers and has steps for adults to support in preparation before clear photos and steps show children how to complete the experiment. The experiments also have a question to encourage children to talk about what they have observed on completing the experiment. The final pages of the book have a detailed explanation of the science behind the experiments for adults or older readers.
I love how clearly each experiment is laid out with a clear photographic list of what is needed and such clear steps meaning very young scientists can explore with very little adult support.
Busy Little Hands: Science Play! is a tutorial guide in the Busy Little Hands series aimed at preschoolers and their caregivers for creativity play. Due out 20th Dec 2022 from  Storey Publishing, it's 48 pages and will be available in hardcover and ebook formats.

This is a wonderfully accessible, brightly colored, and fun little book chock full of great ideas to engage young kids in exploring science concepts and mastering fine motor skills. The text is very simple and the included experiments are well photographed, and will appeal to almost everyone.  The steps which require some (minor) help from an adult helper are clearly marked in highlighted text sidebars in each tutorial. I liked that the children pictured are inclusive and representative of a wide variety of backgrounds. Representation is very important.

Each of the projects includes prep-steps for grownups showing suggested materials, tips for protecting surfaces, and cleanup. The tutorials themselves are photographed with step-by-step photos and finished pictures. The instructions are encouraging and supportive and cover some surprisingly sophisticated science concepts.

This would be a superlative gift, excellent classroom or library group selection for activity groups, a wonderful parent/caregiver activity, or even for babysitters and child-minders looking to improve their activity time with their small charges.

I loved this one. It's simple but so well done. The tutorials are simple and the tools and supplies are easy to source and inexpensive.

Five stars.

It’s #STEMDay22 and what better way to celebrate than with some excellent science experiments! Maybe you aren’t they best at putting them together or don’t have the time to look up the best activity or experiment, to match your theme or skills for the day. This new book from @storeypub Busy Little Hands Science Play is perfect. It offers a wide variety of experiments, with full descriptions, necessary items, illustrations of the experiments and discussions about the results. All right there and ready for little readers to enjoy. We have loved going through this book and trying all the experiments. It’s really opened our daughter’s mind to STEM even more!
This colorful book is filled with simple but fun activities for preschoolers to elementary students. The activities are described in detail with some notes for adult preparation and how science works. I think it's a wonderful book that teaches young children (and adults) to do simple experiments and learn from them.
This is a fun way to spend the day, parents and kids. To help the kids from boredom, or video games, this book can help you do stuffs with them. Testing how a color blooms, or how a seed becomes a plant. Or making volcanoes, collecting the rain, and so many more you can choose to explore.
I received an electronic ARC from Storey Publishing through NetGalley.
These experiments will be fun for young readers and challenge them at the same time. Readers can do these in any order they choose. I appreciate the "Grown-Up Prep Steps" included with each experiment as well as the "Notes for Big People" included at the end. These are versatile enough that they can be done on their own (with some supervision) or together as a family. Making science fun at this age introduces readers to a lifetime love for experimenting and growing.
This is a lovely book and exactly what it says on the tin. My favorite part was how colorful it was and how many pictures it had, which made it ideal for reading with little ones. All the experiments were nicely laid out and easy to understand. Even if you’re a parent that’s not very science inclined, you’ll still have no trouble using this. Good for children 5 to 10 year of age, in my opinion.
This book is great for young ones. The experiments are fun and creative, definitely things that children would really enjoy. The directions were very clear and easy to understand. There were also pictures that helped you understand it more as well. I definitely recommend this for parents and their children.
This had so many cute, hands on, easy science experiments perfect for kindergarteners. Most of these I have seen before on Pinterest or google, but it’s nice to have them in one place!
Science Play! is a great introduction to science experiments for kids with 20 experiments for preschoolers to do with their parents. These simple experiments cover four areas of science: chemistry, physics, earth science and biology. I would have preferred the Notes for Big People and Science Field Kit (tools for investigating science) sections to be at the front of the book as it might be beneficial for the adults to read prior to starting any of the experiments. I appreciated that the book includes a guide of the concepts used in the experiments for adults. This fun collection of science experiments would make a great Christmas gift for the preschooler in your life.
Concise and approachable, “Busy Little Hands: Science Play” is the perfect book for busy caretakers who want to expose their children to fun science experiments without all the hassle. The name of the game here is simplicity: the steps are numbered, illustrated, and fit on one page, the supplies needed are found in your house, (sparing you the trek to multiple stores for a weird ingredient you will never use again),  the prep time is quick (read: your kids won’t get bored during the set up time), and the experiments have enough “wow” factor for the kids. Even the educational explanations that accompany each experiment (found at the back of the book) are concise enough to hold the attention of your most fidgety kid. Are these experiments groundbreaking? No. Could you find these same experiments combing through Pinterest? Probably. Is it significantly easier to just get this book rather than read through countless blog entries? Definitely. Listen, there’s a lot of pressure on moms to entertain their kids in educational ways and using this book just makes it easier.

Thanks to NetGalley and Storey Publishing for the chance to read and review an advance electronic copy of this book.
I originally requested this book because, as a children's librarian, I am always looking for more ideas for programs. This book is very attractive. It has very bright and cheerful photographs of children doing science experiments. It also has colorful illustrations of the science experiments themselves. the directions for the experiments are simple and easy to follow. I think my one complaint is that half of the experiments are ones that are overdone by schools and libraries such as making a volcano or slime. The makers of the book should have found more interesting experiments instead of the old tried and true. There are still some interesting experiments to try. I think this would be a great book to add to the science or homeschooling section of the library.
I really like this book. This is a great introduction to science. These are easy activities for pre-schoolers, which make use of every day items around the house, making it a lot of fun for the child(ren) and caregivers!  Caregivers will appreciate the tips from setting up projects and The step-by-step directions have easy to follow pictures with Pictures of children completing each of the steps.

This book is done well and worth buying and is a good addition to any library, also they have done a few more books with different subjects but under the same series: Busy Little Hands and they are all worth a look through as they are good fun!
As a parent of young children, I was excited for this book. However, the experiments are generic and the scientific rigor low (even for preschoolers.) I also didn't like how the experiments and their accompanying scientific explanations were separated (experiment information in the front of the book and explanations in the back.) It just made it clumsy to review and use effectively, especially in the eager learning environment of preschool.

If your child has had limited exposure to science activities, this book may be of interest to you. The photos are engaging, experiments included simple to execute, parent-friendly explanations of the "science" happening included in the back (e.g., you don't need a degree in sciences to understand the writeups.) However, if you have explored various scientific ideas and the scientific method already with your child, likely they will have already outpaced this book.

*I received an advance e-copy of this book from the publisher.*
This is a perfect book for curious kids! The low barrier to entry lessons include simple steps for the adults and kids and require minimal materials. The lessons are labeled as one of the 4 principles of: physics, earth science, chemistry, or biology. They even include the classic baking soda and vinegar volcano (I think this is the first one I would do for nostalgia's sake).

Each lesson is easily adaptable to what you have on hand or easy to acquire. I can see this being a great way to inspire sensory play or continue learning when school is on break. Or even if you are running out of ideas to entertain the kids! Something really important is that questions to help guide learning are included so you engage your child in the lesson. At the end of the book there is a section that provides background for the adult to facilitate the lesson and explain the reasoning/scientific method.

I think this book along with the materials required for a few lessons (packaged and labelled individually) would make a great gift. Another exciting thing to do would be taking the child shopping for the backpack science field kit at the end of the book.

I can't recommend this book enough, its a great addition to any kid's library.

Thank you to Net Galley and Story Publishing for a free e-copy of this in exchange for my honest review.

#BusyLittleHandsSciencePlay #NetGalley
Science Play is a fun filled activity book offering 20 easy to follow experiments. Each activity delves into a different area of science such as Chemistry or Physics and encourages the reader to question the experiment to further challenge their thinking. The book provides step by step instructions to follow with minimal preparation and the experiments are complimented by clear photos. This is definitely a book that I will use at home with my 2 year old son and I would highly recommend it to EYFS & Primary teachers too. I can already imagine using 'Rain Rain Come To Stay' with a class of 4year olds and how excited they would be to check the measurements after a down pour! A fantastic and instructive book to get children up and out, challenging themselves and learning through the environment.

Thank you NetGalley and Storey Publishing for my ARC!