Cover Image: On the Rooftop

On the Rooftop

I think this is a book that you have to immerse yourself in and it is completely worthwhile.

I received a complimentary copy of this book through NetGalley. The opinions expressed in this review are completely my own
A really enjoyable read due to the historical setting and the characters. The descriptions are good enough to create a picture in your mind as you read and the lives of the three daughters and mother during this period of change in San Francisco are laid out very well. Loved the food descriptions and desperately wanted a dinner invite to the table!
Great reading to explore a piece of lesser known San Francisco history. Highly recommended for book groups as well.

Thank you to NetGalley for an advance copy of this book. Loved it!
This is one of my favorite books I’ve read this year. I got completely wrapped up in the lives of the four women in this novel. I loved how complex and interesting the mother and her three daughters were and how each had her own journey to finding her own voice. This book is destined to become a classic.
With a pretty slow start, I was able to get into the story after sticking with it. I like the parents dreams aren't those of the kids trope and I liked the multi-POV chapter aspect. Overall it was a pretty okay read. Great writing style and good story. I am not a fan of historical type books, but I enjoyed the cultural aspect and the fight to rise despite the raging racism throughout the south in the time peroid.

Thank you NetGalley and ECCO for access to this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
On the Rooftop
by Margaret Wilkerson Sexton
Ecco
Pub Date: Sept. 6, 2022
Thanks to the author, publisher, and Netgalley for the ARC of this book. This book took a while for me to get interested in. On the Rooftop follows the story of a mother and her daughters with a dream of musical stardom. It’s a classic story of a parent having dreams for her children that aren’t necessarily the dreams they have as well.
This book switches between the four characters and took me a while to get into….but once I did I was moved by the emotions each character felt.
Not a great book for me, but I am sure others will like it.
3 stars

Thank you to NetGalley and the published for this e-ARC in exchange for my honest review!
Thanks to Netgalley and Ecco for the ebook. In the 1950’s, in the Filmore section of San Francisco, Vivian holds musical practice with her three daughters, Ruth, Esther and Chloe, as they chase the dream of musical stardom. As they play at a local club and audition for bigger gigs and search for management to take them to another level, we quickly learn that Vivian’s dreams for her daughters might not be their own dreams. Vivian feels pressure for success as the group starts to splinter and their very neighborhood is being bought out around them with thoughts of gentrification. A musical novel with a rich family at its core.