Cover Image: The Wolf Suit

The Wolf Suit

The Wolf Suit was definitely an unexpected read! I loved the message at the end of the book. The Wolf Suit is a great way to introduce young kids to chapter books without it being overwhelming. I thought Sid Sharp did an excellent job at developing the plot of the story and not dragging it on. There were twists and turns that captured your attention and made you want to keep reading.

The Wolf Suit is about a sheep, Bellwether, that runs out of blackberries and has to go out into the forest to get more. Bellwether realizes he is a little frightened of the forest because there are wolves and comes up with a plan to be less scared. He makes a a wolf suit so that he can blend in with other wolves if he encounters them, but he ends up meeting wolves instead. Once he meets the wolves, disaster strikes--his suit begins to unravel. Little does he know that the other wolves are not what they seem.

It's a great book to use to teach kids about how to be themselves and that with others they can face their fears.
I received an arc of this title from NetGalley for an honest review. A super bizarre book about a wolf in a suit who keeps himself entertained. Maybe something is lost in translation????
A funny graphic novel that brings a whole new meaning to "a wolf in sheep's clothing". Totally worth getting to the ending.
Sid Sharp has written a humorous tale that covers several important themes.  Conquering fear, feeling part of a community, and being comfortable with who you are.

Bellewether Riggwelter is out of blackberries, AGAIN!  He's afraid to venture into the forest to pick more because he fears the wolves will eat him.  He devises a plan to deter the wolves so he can pick his blackberries in peace.  Like all plans with the best laid intentions, Bellewether's plan starts to unravel, literally!  He discovers something he never expected in the forest, maybe, just maybe appearances can be deceiving.

The illustrations are beautiful in this book.  This is a perfect book for transitional readers who want to venture into chapter books.  The book offers lots of points for conversation.  It's a must add to your classroom or home library shelf for children.

NetGalley and Annick Press allowed me to voluntarily read an advanced copy of this book.  Pub date Oct. 4, 2022.
This was a weird book and I loved it. It definitely gave me Grimm vibes and I was all here for it! Fans of dark stories and fairytales will love reading this.
Clever book about the pressures of conformity. Fantastic illustrations as well! This book will certainly appeal to a range of ages.
This was an adorable and also hilarious take on the typical tale of phrase "A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing." As a parent, it can be difficult to find the words to teach a young child that they don't have to fear who they are, that while it may be scary and they may want to pretend to be someone else, they aren't alone. Everyone fears being their true self at one point or another, and the we can have a lot of perceptions about how the world is before we've stepped out of our comfort zone. But this was such a simple, lovely way of describing an issue everyone deals with at some point in their life. The writing was also humorous in how it mirror contemporary conversation and pacing. Very much recommended for young readers!
A dark children's book about fear and trying to fit in, with a touch of humor and warmth! I'd give this one to adults as well. I loved how the wolves looked in this book.
This book was so fun. I loved that all the wolves ended up being sheep. What a cute twist. What I enjoyed the most about this book were the illustrations. The artwork was just the right amount of creepy and beautiful
A clever book that isn't for little ones but for older elementary children who still like story time. There is lots of meaning in the words. A dark but delightful book.
Interesting story, if a little predictable. I found the artwork more compelling than the story itself. The allusions to masking (referenced in the forward) could have been more nuanced I think. Suitable for both adult and child readers.
Bellwether Riggwelter is a sheep who lives alone in the forest.  He discovers he is out of blackberries and is fearful to gather more as wolves lurk in the shadows and might be waiting for a nice juicy dinner and may just choose HIM as the main course!   Rather than go without his beloved berries he hatches a plan that could keep him safe and allow him to pick the berries that he craves.  Whatever could that plan be do you think?

Bellwether decides the best way to keep safe is disguising himself as one of those scary predators he's so fearful of.  He crafts himself a wolf suit to wear so he will blend in.  This enables him to pick his berries and then return home safely with his stash.  Think it will work?

He puts his plan into practice and quickly finds out that it may be coming unravelled... coming apart at the seams... literally!  Oh NO!  His clever hand-sewn wolf suit has a few flaws that exposes to the other animals that he is not who he is pretending to be.  They learn that Bellwether Riggwelter is not a scary wolf at all, in fact, he's really a petrified, terrified, sheep. Will he be the main course on their menu for dinner that night or by some miracle will he be saved from such a tragedy?  The surprise twist at the end of the story is fantastic!

This tale is humorous, dark and then brought into the light.  The illustrations are portrayed in graphic novel style, a style that kids love!  Bellwether's fear is turned into happiness and joy as he learns how to celebrate who he is created to be and that he does not have to be an impostor to fit in and be accepted.  Both young and old will be inspired by the heartwarming message.  I whole-heartedly endorse this book.
A lovely little tail. Er, tale. Sid Sharp crafts a warm and loving little story about fear, fitting in, and friendship. It is hard not to immediately identify with Bellweather, a shy sheep who feels like he has to pretend to be someone different from who he is at home when he is out in the wild forest. Sharp deftly illustrates the ways in which performing for other people both exhausts and stresses Bellweather, and in doing so teaches an important lesson about being yourself. Society will always expect us to put on masks in order to move through the world, but there is great power to be found in authentic expression, which allows for real and lasting connection with others. Gorgeous illustrations with deep, inviting colors make the tale unforgettable.
I loved this story of fear & fitting in & blackberries. I think when I started it, I had an idea in my head of how it would turn out and so when it didn't go that way - wow. I'm still thinking about it hours later. The perfect ending. I love Bellwether Riggwelter and can't wait for him to have a spot on my shelves.
Bellwether is a sheep who is terrified of how wolves are ruining the outdoor atmosphere when he just wants to pick berries and be at peace. He makes himself a wolf suit so he can go out in disguise. What happens to the suit and his interactions with other wolves is anxiety-ridden and hilarious. This graphic novel shows different facets of, perspectives about, and experiences related to fear. This is a quick read with great illustrations. I read this via NetGalley, courtesy of the publisher.
I really enjoyed this entertaining and unique book! The main character is a sheep who makes a wolf suit so he can travel into the woods without fear. I loved the silly twists and turns the story takes and the sheep's creative problem solving. The picture book is a little long so it would probably be best for age 4-6.  Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for providing this ARC. All thoughts are my own.
Bellwether Riggwelter has two passions in life : sewing and blackberries. As he is once again out of the delicious berries, he decides to explore the forest looking for a new harvest. But there are wolves in the woods. And they are so scary ! Never mind ! The sheep has a brilliant idea : he will sew a Wolf Suit, so no ferocious creature will recognize him !

The Wolf Suit is a graphic novel, but can also be considered as a picture book. Intended for Middle Grade children, it will be enjoyed by adults as well. Sid Sharp’s hand-painted illustrations are extraordinary. Simple and colorful, they introduce the reader to the main character, Bellwether Riggwelter, a small sheep scared by everything. The creature has a sad life, locked in his house in the dark everyday, as he is terrified by what is hiding in the forest. Even if the story can be considered as scary for younger readers, because of the wolf character, it is also extremely funny.

The idea of “wolf in sheep’s clothing” takes its full meaning in this story. Nothing and nobody is really as they appear and the proverb “don't judge a book by its cover” also works really well. I really enjoyed this book. It is surprising. Really unusual. And for those that would hesitate to read it because it seems sad and scary, it really isn’t. Bellwether Riggwelter story has a happy ending.
The book was cute. The ending was surprising, even for me as an adult. And the lesson/point was well taken. Some of the creatures did look a little scary, which might be a bit much for the younger kids. Otherwise, a cute book, with a pretty common lesson, but always good to be reminded of.
The Wolf Suit is a clever story of overcoming fear and finding your tribe. Perhaps it is a little scary at first--aren't most things? However, once you begin to uncover the true monsters in the woods, you realize that looks are sometimes deceiving. The Wolf Suit is a short graphic story about allowing one's self to take off the armor we wear as protection, and to learn to open up to others without fear. The illustrations are simple and beautiful, and the story is satisfying and heartwarming. Recommended for ages 6-11, and I think that's a great range. Younger children might be a little scared at first, but if read in one sitting, their fears will subside. A big thank you to NetGalley for the advance reader copy of this book.
This is a children's picture book about a sheep who makes a wolf suit so that he can go in the forest without being eaten by wolves. He encounters other wolves who want to meet up later, and in doing so he learns that they aren't what they appear to be as well. This was a sweet story that teaches children that people can often pretend to be something they're not when they're afraid, and that appearances can be deceiving. Some of the illustrations were a bit rough but overall I thought they were creative and fun.