Cover Image: Raven Unveiled

Raven Unveiled

Grace Draven makes fantasy so immersive and fun. I love her work and this book was no exception. Incredibly detailed and lovely to read. Recommend to anyone getting into high fantasy!
4.5/5.0

Anyone who has read Grace Draven's work knows of the smooth and beautiful writing style that pens such creative action and intrigue! This book is no different. It is exciting, yet exquisitely poignant to read.  Siora is an extremely compassionate and kind character. She has been gifted with a terrifying talent that, if known, would ensure her demise. Gharek, is a man who has committed unforgivable atrocities against so many in order to keep his own daughter alive. When Siora betrayed him in order to save his and his daughter's lives, Gharek swore he would find her and reap his vengeance. What neither suspect, however, is that there is a much more evil and dangerous foe about to descend and demand both their lives.

What follows is an extremely heartbreaking and ultimately beautiful tale, filled with danger, twists and turns, action and all kinds of scary ghosts!  It takes the reader through every emotion from fear to tears to the happiest of smiles as that last pages closes. Gharek's actions are hard to accept at times even when they are understood. And, as the story progresses, his continued treatment of Siora is infuriating, Yet, that is exactly what makes his path to redemption so satisfying!  It would have been absolutely perfect if there had been even a bit more time to see that redemption played out.

Still, for writing that is almost lyrical at times and a story that excites and endears, this is absolutely a must read!
What a ride!

Shade-speaker Siora is on the run from (former) assassin Gharek. He tracks her down. She escapes, he finds her again, they have many adventures.

That is a short synopsis of a deeply-felt and exceptionally well-developed character study of two damaged people who find redemption in each other. Yes, there are mages and demons and a terrible ghost-eating entity but the heart of the book rests in Siora and Gharek's slowly developing relationship. What a satisfying conclusion to an outstanding fantasy series.

Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC.
Siora is running from Gharek of Cabast.   He's tracking her, to force her to apologize to his daughter.
 She is sure he's coming to kill her.   But his hunt leads both of them perilously close to an otherworldly predator stalking the dead and the living.  The creature’s power and reach are growing with every soul it consumes.   Only working together can they hope to save the world and trust is very hard to come by, when everything is falling apart.

Why I started this book: Requested this title because I have enjoyed previous Draven titles and series and wanted a surefire win.

Why I finished it: Delightful, suspenseful and a study in romantic forgiveness in the middle of grand adventure with threats of invading armies, and overwhelmingly mystical evil.  Quite the romp, and you will need to read the first two books to get the full effect.   This is not a hardship for fans of Draven.
Did I know Grace Draven had a new (to me) series before seeing this book on NetGalley? No. Did I know it was the third book in the series before I started reading? Also no. But did it matter? Absolutely not! Will I go back and read the other books? Oh yes, for sure.

Grace does a fantastic job of world building and creating tension between characters. Even coming into this, the third book in the series, I felt like there was enough world building that I didn't really need to have read the other books. Probably if I had I would understand more of the politics and the situation in which this book is set, but I didn't feel like I was particularly missing anything vital. Siora and Gharek were really likeable characters, and I enjoyed getting to live in their story. They clearly had a lot going on between them that they needed to work out, and over the course of the book it was great to see their relationship grow and change.

Overall, this book has a really great emphasis on found family and moving on from a troubled past. I'm excited to dive back into this world with the earlier books in the series!
I was so excited to finally get Siora's POV and see more of Gharek. This book wonderfully resolved many things that occurred throughout the first two books. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this!
Gah, so this is difficult. I LOVE Grace Draven. I will read any of her books. But I really struggled with this one. Not because it was bad, but because I felt so lot the entire time. I feel like there's a whole history between the main characters that I missed and needed to know. I assumed this was more of a companion novel instead of one I needed to have read the book before it to understand (I've read the first in the series though long ago). So, perhaps this is my mistake, but it was incredibly difficult to pick up as is.

But, as always, her writing is amazing.
I don’t find myself every reaching out to the boos written by Draven and as expected, I really loved it. It was sheer joy to get into this world!!
As usual Draven didn’t disappoint. It was super fun and exciting read. I found myself living vicariously through the characters end enjoying all those adventures ahah
I'm a huge fan of Grace Draven, but I didn't love this story as much as the previous two in this series.  The writing is still good, but I just didn't like the hero/love interest and didn't believe in or desire his redemption arc.  He was pretty much a jerk through the whole book, as he was in the previous books in the series.  Being nice to your own child on the one hand, while murdering and torturing others because you were "just following orders" on the other, makes for a pretty steep climb towards redemption, and this book didn't make the case for me.
Not my favorite in the series but the ghost magic was interesting and it did connect some threads I hadn't thought of.
This was a fun addition to the series, but admittedly not my favorite. Great characters, really solid writing (as always!), and a fun way to spend an afternoon!
Raven Unveiled is a great addition to the Fallen Empire series.  Readers will find familiar characters from previous books throughout and enjoy learning more about two key characters from previous titles.  We find Soira on the run from her former employer Gharek.  Gharek, in turn, is on the run from all those he wronged as an assassin to the late empress.  Bound together by their love of Estred and literally by General Zaredis, both characters must work together to find release.  Pheonix Unbound continues to be my favorite title within the series, however, Raven Unveiled is a close second.