Cover Image: Understandable Economics

Understandable Economics

Before I retired I used to teach college-level economics and I can tell you that this horrible book misses the mark completely. Proof of this is that the author's original title was "Economics for Activists". Mr. Yaruss' main point is that income and wealth inequality has been rising when the opposite has been the case. For the last 100 years, ALL measures of inequality in the US have been converging and the same has been true for the rest of the world for the last 50 years as many developing nations abandoned socialism.
I enjoyed this book. I found the writing very clear and done in such a way that a background in finance or economics isn’t necessary to understand and enjoy this book. I also found the writing compelling and it was hard for me to put the book down. Howard Yaruss writes with a conversational tone and with some humor. I found the book rather more prescriptive than just descriptive but I was fine with this as Yaruss supports his points with studies. Thank you to Netgalley and Rowman & Littlefield, Prometheus for the advance reader copy.