Cover Image: Unbreakable: The Spies Who Cracked the Nazis' Secret Code

Unbreakable: The Spies Who Cracked the Nazis' Secret Code

Thank you to NetGalley and Henry Holt for the advanced reader's copy of this incredible book. Unbreakable: The Spies Who Cracked the Nazis' Secret Code is a work of narrative non-fiction that reads like a spy thriller. I can see many of my reluctant readers being quickly hooked by the details and tense moments in the text, especially since so many chapters end with a cliffhanger. Rebecca Barone is a talented writer who gives enough detail to drive to narrative but not so many details that the text becomes dense and boring. She also includes incredible primary source images and documents to help the reader better understand what they are reading. As a history teacher I was overjoyed to see Barone's extensive bibliography at the end of the book to provide additional resources for both students and educators. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and read it in two sittings. I was hooked!
This is a very good book! It is well written and provides such wonderful information! I will definitely be adding a copy to my classroom library for students.
Thank you to #NetGalley and #henryholtandcompany for an eARC of UNBREAKABLE: THE SPIES WHO CRACKED THE NAZIS’ SECRET CODE by Rebecca E.F. Barone (Release Date: October 25/22).

This author’s nonfiction debut, RACE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE EARTH: SURVIVING ANTARCTICA, has stuck with me since I read it at the beginning of last year, so I was thrilled to get an eARC of her upcoming book. I love reading middle-grade nonfiction, but finding a length and subject matter that will hook a young reader is tricky. This book does just that with a length of only 272 pages (including back matter and over 60 historical photos) and a fascinating look at the codebreakers who raced to figure out how to decode messages sent by the Enigma machine used by the Nazis in World War II. Individuals in many European Allied countries worked to piece together bits of stolen information to uncover the Nazis’ plans, some while escaping the violence in their home country. Still, it took many years and countless hours to figure out how the Enigma machine worked, and this book gives an in-depth look at some of the key players. I will definitely be purchasing this book for my library’s collection and recommend it to readers who like BOMB by Steve Sheinkin.