Cover Image: A Place to Land

A Place to Land

Denton's books are must reads for me. I don't need to know the synopsis, this is a book I will buy blind. That being said, she once again did not disappoint and gave us another beautiful story. She's made a name for herself in southern fiction and A Place to Land only anchors her name more. Characters you care for and Southern descriptions so clear, you'd swear you're there. A wonderful southern read.

Another great story by this author. Definitely kept my attentions and loved the sisters. Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher.

You can not go wrong with a book written by Lauren K Denton. This story is about the Figg sisters and what went wrong one night. This is a quaint mystery that keeps you guessing to the end. There is a cast of characters that interact with the sisters that helps keep the mystery afloat. Love the story from start to finish.

Lauren K Denton's newest book is a beautiful story of sisters and true love. Finding love, losing it, and finding it again and realizing that true love us found in families as well as out in the world.

Did not finish as sadly this one just did not capture my interest enough to keep going. Really enjoy this author's work but this was a miss for me personally.

Excellent read! The family and community connections in this book were so heartwarming all while wrapped around a “who done it” mystery.

I’m a huge fan of this author. Anything new she brings, I’m reading!

I love Lauren Denton I think her books are so magical!!!!

Violet and Trudy are sisters living in sugarbend. A sweet little coast town, they have been living comfortable for a very long time till a boat emerges and a secret comes out, and a missing husband, will this secret destroy these sisters or bring them closer together.

I love anything by her so I may be bias but I loved it!!! Thanks netgallery for the arc!!

THE GOOD: The descriptions of the coastal south - the landscape, the many interesting birds - are lovely. The tale borders on a bit of magical realism, which adds a nice element. The devotion of the two sisters to each other, as well as Maya's burgeoning relationship with the boy next door, are both quite sweet.

THE BAD: This may seem like a silly critique, but there was a nauseating usage, and over usage, of the phrase "your truth" in the final few sections. Also, the title does not appear in the book, which is usually a deal-killer for me. It also refers to the secondary character, Maya, rather than our leading ladies Violet and Trudy.

CONCLUSION: A lovely little book where everyone gets their happy ending. A great beach read.

Southern fiction at its best. I loved the characters and the sweet little town of Sugar Bend. The writing was atmospheric and drew me in to the story.
Many thanks to Harper Muse and to NetGalley for providing me with a galley in exchange for my honest opinion.

A Place to Land takes place in a small southern town. The two sisters have been together their whole adult lives, since a secret bound them together. Now the secret may be discovered, and things start to change. It's a nice heartwarming story with a happy ending. #aplacetoland #laurenkdenton #netgalley #southernstory #bookstagram #booklover #reader #bookblog #lovetoread #fictionreader #bookreview #bookrecommendation #readersofinstagram #bookloversofinstagram #takeapagefrommybook #readallthebooks #booksbooksbooks

Welcome to Sugar Bend, a small-town along a river in the Southern US, where sisters Violet and Trudy Figg have their lovely little shop selling knick-knacks and pieces of art Trudy makes out of the items she finds along the beach. Nothing strange about any of this, other than that Trudy doesn't speak. Meanwhile, Violet monitors birds, keeps the shop, and makes sure her sister is safe, as that's a promise she made to her mom a long time ago. Over the summer covered in the book, small signs appear that there are some cracks in the idyllic life the sisters have build over the years. As a little boat drifts ashore, secrets of the sisters' past start to unravel.

Part historical fiction, part mystery, part women's fiction with just a touch of magic, A Place to Land is another one of Lauren K Denton's wonderfully atmospheric reads. While it took me a little while to get connected with the sisters, I found the town of Sugar Bend and all of its characters to be so charming I just wanted to wrap myself in the world the author creates in this book. As much as I enjoyed the main story line of the sisters, I also genuinely enjoyed the bits of romance in the book, and I especially appreciated the story of 18 year old Maya who, on her search to find her place in the world, ends up working for and living with the sisters. I honestly could have done with much more of her story. While the overall story was perhaps a bit predictable, and the mystery not quite as mysterious, the writing of said story was beautiful, and made me want to reach the conclusion with the characters, rather than forfeit the experience altogether.

Lauren K Denton is a new-to-me author and I thoroughly enjoyed her voice, with its sweet southern charm and pacing. It is a story told quietly but well. While parts of A Place to Land were predictable, I found myself totally engrossed within the story and people of Sugar Bend. I found the characters endearing and real to life. This has one of my favorite story tropes, that of the lasting effects of long-buried secrets of the past. Denton deftly parcels clues from the past as she alternates between the past and present, with plot-pacing skillfully gaining in momentum.

I just recently discovered southern fiction over the last couple of years and definitely plan on reading more of Ms. Denton's books.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from the author/publisher through Netgalley and was not required to write a review. All opinions expressed are my own.

This was a wonderful read. I have enjoyed Denton's previous books and this was no exception. Great women's fiction/sister story. Well done

A Place to Land is Lauren Denton's newest novel and it's another good. one. The story of Violet and Trudy resonates over time and the author has a real sense of setting that I enjoyed. It's a great book to spend the day with and I was eager to see how it all came together. Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for an advance copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. A Place to Land is available now.

Lauren K Denton is a favorite author of mine and a must read every time. This book was a little different than many of her other books. I wasn’t sure I would love it at first but it grew on me as the story went on and I fell in love with the characters and the story line.

A Place to Land is a Southern Mystery, a story of family and secrets as well as Women's Fiction. Sisters, Violet and Trudy Figg have lived together for the last 40 years. Something happened that caused Trudy to lose her voice, and Violet is now her protector. Trudy is an artist, making sculptues from found objects, while Violet runs the art shop and monitors bird activity up and down the water. Maya has been alone since her grandmother died. At only eighteen years old, she heads to Sugar Bend after seeing a flyer in a gas station window. She feels pulled towards Two Sisters Gallery. Meanwhile when a boat rises to the top of Little River, it seems that secrets, thought long buried are now coming to the surface. The sisters must come clean, in order to save themselves and keep their new found family with Maya, intact.

This was a beautifully written story with a wonderful southern atmosphere, family relationships and secrets. The story builds slowly, but as secrets and clues are revealed, it picks up its pace. I did figure out what happened before the reveal, but I didn't lose interest in the story. This is a dual timeline story told in alternating POVs of present day and the 1970’s through the 1980’s. I liked the main characters and found them well developed. There are several themes in this book that may be hard for some people to read. There is addiction, abuse, family relationships, keeping promises, forgiveness, found family, compassion, secrets and love. I really enjoy Lauren K. Denton's writing, it is so descriptive, you feel like you are there. This is a story that I recommend to anyone who enjoys a good Southern Mystery and stories of family.

Stunningly beautiful. Authors like Lauren are why this Canadian girl wishes so desperately she had grown up in the southern states. The prose just feels like it's holding you in the gentlest embrace and you truly don't want to leave the world this author has created. I need to get a hand on more of her books!

Laura Denton has been called a masterful storyteller, and I agree! This story starts softly, letting you feel the glory of nature, especially the native birds in South Bend, AL. Violet Figg lives with her sister, Trudy, living a peaceful life while running a shop. Then readers discover that for some reason Trudy has not spoken in 40 years! We hate to suspect that Viola might have had to do with some terrible incident long ago, also resulting in turning her back to accepting love. I found this book hard to put down!
I appreciate being able to read this book, compliments of Harper Muse Publishing. My thoughts are my own.

A Place to Land takes place in Alabama and involves two sisters and a 40 year old mystery. Add in a young girl looking for a home, a small town policeman and a major secret and you have a book that will keep you turning pages to find resolution to the story of a man missing for over 40 years.

Violet and Trudy are sisters and have lived in Sugar Bend, Alabama for their entire lives. They own a small art shop. Trudy is fiercely protective of her sister. She runs the shop and spends her free time monitoring bird activity at the beach. When she was younger, she'd hoped to go away and take an internship related to her love of birds but was unable to leave town because she was protecting her sister. Trudy gathers small objects from the beach and makes them into sculptures that are sold in the art shop. Trudy has been unable to speak for the last forty years and the sisters communicate with hand written notes. Their lives follow the same routine every day and the sisters seem to be content with their lives. One day, a young girl, Maya shows up at the art shop. As she continues to return daily, the sisters learn that she had been in foster care since her beloved grandmother died seven years earlier. Something had drawn her to Sugar Bend but she wasn't really sure why she was there. She begins to help Trudy with her sculptures and the sisters hire her to work at their shop. Life continues fairly uneventfully until an old boat rises to the surface at a nearby river. The boat is tied to a 40 year old secret and the sisters have to decide if they should risk their peace and tell the truth about what really happened.

The story is told in alternating points of view in the past and the present. The two sisters and Maya are all well written and some of the secondary characters add a lot to the story. My only problem with this book were some of the dreams and visions -- the fish bones, the way Maya was led to the town but you have to just overlook those things and follow along with the mystery in the story. This is a book about love and redemption, love of family - both family by blood and the family that is created by people who care deeply about each other. It's also about the damage that secrets can do to a person and a family and the relief that happens when that secret comes to light. This wasn't my favorite book by this author and the secret wasn't a big surprise but it was still a great southern fiction novel to read and enjoy.

After reading two previous novels by this same author I knew I had to read this one. Hurricane Season and The Summer House were both so good. Both five star reads. Both set in the southern part of Alabama. Books set in my home state tend to call my name. This book is the same. Set in Sugar Bend, AL and close to Mobile among other places it's realistic and a very touching story.

Two sisters, Violet and Trudy, are all each other have. Their mother left when they were in high school and their alcoholic dad died in a car accident not long after. The mother made Violet, who was the oldest, promise to take care of and protect her younger sister Trudy. Of course Violet promised. Little did she know that her life was about to make such a huge chance. Violet would do almost anything for her sister. It was her job after all to protect her and keep her safe. She had promised.

Trudy was the youngest of the two sisters and was beautiful. The boys loved her and she caught the eye of the most adored man in town, Jay Malone, who owned a chain of Ice Cream stores. He had girls working for him and had his pick of any of them but he chose Trudy. Jay was a charmer. He was who everyone wanted to be like. He was the nicest man you'd ever meet. Trudy felt honored to become his wife. Violet could finally go on with her life and build a life with the man she loved also.

Forty years go by and it's only the Figg sisters, Violet and Trudy. They live alone in a small cottage and run a shop where Trudy makes beautiful things she finds. Everyone loves the things she makes. Violet runs the shop while Trudy makes things. They work good together. Trudy hasn't spoken in forty years. Not since something awful happened and devastated her.

This is the story of the lengths sisters will go to for each other. The things they will give up for each other. Even giving up their freedom. Being there for each other above all others. Even true love. These two sisters have a big secret that they won't share. All is good until the boat comes to the surface. Then their lives change forever.

This book is great. It's heartwarming and sad. It's one that makes you hold your breath wondering what will come next. Not a thriller but it will give you thrills. Skin tingling thrills. I truly disliked these girls mother. She was selfish in the worst way. To put such a big thing on her oldest daughter was not only unfair, it made life impossible for her to live. She spent all her time worrying and that is just wrong. Of course if the mother had not of left there would be no book so there's that. I still could not stand the mother. She was selfish.

There are several great characters in this book. I loved them all except the mother and Jay. Those two were foolish. The descriptions are great. The sandy beaches. The shells. The shops. You feel at home in Sugar Bend, Alabama. Like you belong.

Thank you #NetGalley, #LaruenKDenton, #HarperMuse for this ARC. This is my own true thoughts about this book.

5 stars and a very high recommendation. It's a beautiful story of love and hope.