Cover Image: Sometimes People Die

Sometimes People Die

Sometimes People Die is like if Grey's Anatomy and James Patterson co-created a novel. I liked the setting of this mystery set in a hospital. I also liked the readability of the plot causing for a quick read. At times, it felt a little too detailed in ways that slowed down the book but it was unique and I think for the right audience, it would be an asset.
The language in this book is so straightforward that I thought I was reading a memoir. Ostensibly a murder mystery, the deaths take a back seat to a doctor who wants to serve his patients while fighting his addiction. Great work.
Truly dark and fascinating. Also using this as a place to show my support for the Harper Collins union. Thank you to Harper for the gifted ARC my honest review.
This is a well-written, if rambling page turner that veered at some points too in-depth with medical details and jargon.
Lovers of Robin Cook will appreciate this read!
Featuring ~ single 1st person POV, medical, opioid addiction, serial killer

I like medical thrillers and serial killers, but this was slow and just okay for me. I didn't really find it to be much of a thriller either to be honest. I had to go back and confirm this was fiction because it read sort of like non-fiction with an overload of medical information. There were real life murders that were thrown in, too, which really I didn't mind since I do read true crime from time to time, but it just added to it being over informative.

Overall, an obviously well researched book that might be your cup of tea. It's currently highly rated here at 3.97 and 4.3 on Amazon, so I seem to be in the minority.

I was able to listen to the audio as well, so I went back and forth reading and listening. It was narrated by Greg Miller Burns for an awfully long time at 12 hours and 28 minutes. His Scottish accent is quite thick, so I couldn't listen to it much over 2x. Reading was the better option for me.
Sometimes people die… more like sometimes I feel like the characters should die. This book was fun but overall not it for me.
This book was quite slow and tedious for ever so long.  The intermittent stories of other serial killers, and an abundance of medical jargon threw the story off its tracks.  It finally came together for the last 20%.  My only wish was that the momentum seen at the end had started much sooner!  Thank you to Harlequin and NetGalley for an ARC of this book.
Unfortunately, I have been locked out of my netgalley account for a few months and was not able to see which books I had on my list, in order to properly read and review.  I do apologize and am doing a 3 for neutral.  Will update once I’m able to obtain a copy and read!
Made it over halfway through this one and still couldn’t connect to it. I kept hoping things would pick up and capture my interest but it never happened.
Thank you to NetGalley and Harlequin Trade Publishing for a digital copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Sometimes People Die reads partly as a medical memoir, partly as a trivia manual on murderous medical professionals, and as a bonus has a medical mystery woven throughout. While it doesn't read exactly as the medical thriller it is billed to be, there are plenty of twists and turns that make this book enjoyable. Readers are definitely rewarded with an unexpected and satisfying ending!

Sometimes People Die is a recommended read for fans of mystery and suspense and also those interested in medical oddities and serial killers.
A true slow-burn that would have worked better for me had I been engaged early in the book.  While the settings were described so perfectly, the abundance of medical jargon made me disengage several times while reading. I found myself skimming over those sections.

The premise of the book was excellent; however, the execution just fell a little short for me.  I'd love to read this author's next book.  Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for this early read that is out now.
An unnamed Scottish narrator takes a job as a junior doctor at St. Luke's Hospital in London, which is the only place he can find work after being suspended for stealing opioids. The hospital is severely understaffed, making it easy for suspicious deaths to slip under the radar until one woman dies under our narrator's care, revealing a serial killer is practicing in the hospital.

500000/5 stars for the audiobook narrator, I was enraptured by the narration of this book.

Although the setting of the hospital kept things tense with all the sick patients and while I appreciate all of the healthcare knowledge I gained from this, I do think this would be more enjoyed by someone in the healthcare field. The day in and day out life in the hospital without much plot moving the story forward in the middle dragged some for me.

The mystery was a solid one. I definitely didn't see the final couple of twists coming. The writing came across as smart and foreboding. I'm intrigued to see what Simon Stephenson writes next.
Sometimes People Die. They most certainly do! Those of us who are fascinated and almost obsessed with the macabre, have probably looked up various serial killers - thus taking us to the subject of killer nurses and doctors. Real life scary, isn't it?

This is one of those books that is quite the slow burn.... but so much so that I almost DNF'd it. However, the murderous medical history chapters we get here and there kept me intrigued... and towards the last half, the main storyline starts to take off.

There are tons of medical jargon and procedures throughout the read - as one may expect considering the subject matter. And I enjoy that the author takes his own real life experiences as a physician to give such detailed descriptions but um.. for me it got to be just a little too much. I wanted more dialogue. I wanted... more... and less... if that makes sense.

Love the subject matter but the writing style just didn't work for me.
Slow burner of a medical thriller and mystery that asks some tough questions.

An unnamed Scottish doctor finds work at St. Luke's Hospital in east London. He's having a rough go as he is on probation after being suspended for his opioid addiction and theft of drugs. His daily efforts as a hospitalist are largely unrewarded as the sick get sicker and there's never enough money to help everyone. His small group of colleagues is made aware that something more sinister may actually be going on -- someone seems to be murdering the patients.

As much as I really wanted to like this novel, I found it hard to connect with the narrator because, not only was he unnamed, he was a drug addict unwilling to do the work to overcome his situation and largely not paying attention to most of what was going on around him. At times the story line seemed to skip and jump and go off on tangents that really slowed down the forward momentum of the doctor's search for the truth of what happened at St. Luke's. It was interesting, but also the fact that it was set in the 1999 kind of lessened my interest as well as that was a very long time ago. I found this sad and frustrating for the most part and the conclusion was very unsatisfying.

I love a good medical thriller and a complex plot with multidimensional characters and lots of interesting facts and details. This one fell a little short of being all that for me.

Thank you to NetGalley and Hanover Square Press for this e-book ARC to read and review.
Fast-paced and entertaining. A recommended purchase for collections where medical thrillers are popular.
I will admit by reading the synopsis of the book on Goodreads the book intrigued me. After reading the book, I felt that it was very drawn out from the beginning. The number of characters introduced in the beginning had names that were a little hard to pronounce, which took away my determination to read the book and visualize the read. The story was told as a narrative, without knowledge of who the narrator is. That’s a good idea for the book I thought.
This book has such a spooky vibe. As someone who works in a hospital, I really felt for the staff of St. Luke's. We are at a similar point right now - more sick patients than the current staff can safely handle... and maybe that is what scares me... how easily this book could morph into real life. I found myself reading this book in one sitting - absorbed into a world that is far too realistic!

Perfect for anyone who enjoys thrillers or works in the medical field.
Honestly this was one of the worst books I have ever read. There was no point to the book. It’s marketed as a medical thriller and that part is like 5% of the book. Honestly can’t keep writing because this book was so bad it makes me mad.
This one is a little tricky to rate because of its uniqueness. While it offered a very intriguing premise (mysterious deaths at hospital and possible serial killer) and very well-written prose, there was so much that was unnecessary to the story and took away from the plot itself.

The twist was very surprising and some of the relationships were very deep and complicated. I'm torn because so much was good, but I don't think it would be a hit with the majority of people.

I'd say it's worth a try if you go in with low expectations and the ending does pay off, but the ride is a little bumpy. Am I glad I read it? I think so, because I can see what the author was trying to accomplish and I really appreciate that...it just could have used a lot of editing.

Thank you so much to Harlequin Trade Publishing, Hanover Square Press for the gifted copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. This book is out now!
Taken at face value, this could have been a super read. You have a main character who is a doctor struggling with opioid addiction and a hospital with a serial killer on the loose. However the writing is incredibly dry, the narration is monotone, and the story is dragged out so long that you forget that you even care who the killer is. Told in the first person, I never felt any emotion coming from the main character whether at the prospect of spending his life in prison for murder or related to his drug addiction. Sadly, the best part of the book were the interludes between chapters where historical medical serial killers where summarized. But even those felt more like an attempt to stretch out the page count instead of providing an intermission from the "action" of the story. End result is a great plot but disappointing execution.