Cover Image: The Rowdy Randy Wild West Show

The Rowdy Randy Wild West Show

This was a cute book. I liked the illustrations and the story was cute. Although I did want a little more about Randy and also why her stunt at the end was so amazing and would make her more famous. It made me laugh when she said that she didn't think Wild Bill's show would happen. It was a fun read overall.
A Wild West show to be seen.  Everyone is buzzing and excited about the show, as they should be.   Rowdy Randy is putting in a lot of work to make sure they have the greatest wild west show around.
Super cute story about an animal wild west show with fantastic artwork. Kids will love this story.
Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC.
Rowdy Randy, a horsefly with spunk and a legend in the West, auditions animals for her big wild west show. The animals are buzzing with excitement and working hard to perfect their acts. Furry critters come from near and far to see the thrilling acts. But Rowdy Randy can't shake this strange feeling that something isn't quite right. The show must go on, however, so Rowdy Randy shakes it off and takes center stage. The acts are thrilling and Rowdy Randy wows them all with her show-stopping finale, but that uneasy feeling stays with her. What could be bothering her after such a successful evening?

The illustrations are really beautiful and whimsical. The story is a bit hard to follow and the writing a bit overdone and clunky at times. I wished I saw more of "the legend" that was Rowdy Randy before the story of the wild west show begins and the foreboding feeling doesn't ever really pan out. The illustrations never suggest a sense of danger or uneasiness.  The final moment needs finessing. Readers will not know who Buffalo Bill is or why his coming to town would be detrimental to our lead character. The book would benefit from information about Buffalo Bill's Wild West Shows in the Author's Note.
The Rowdy Randy Wild West Show is a collaboration between author Rislov and illustrator Pullen, a follow up to their previous 'Rowdy Randy.' I enjoyed taking the time to read this picture book! I thought the illustrations were beautiful, and really painted a picture of the American West and some of its flora and critters. The lines in the book are pretty simple, but definitely had some new vocabulary words that kiddos will definitely need some help with. I loved that Rowdy Randy is a confident cowgirl, and that she relies on her friends to make her show great. On one of the opening pages, a list is featured with several animals we meet during the book for kiddos to spot in the pictures, which is a great way to introduce new animals. I really liked this one, and plan to have it available in my classroom.
The Rowdy Randy Wild West-The Legend Behind the Legend, is an animated and fun way to introduce American history of The Old West to your child. Rowdy Randy has a vision of her Wild West Show and auditions other native wild animals to join her. During this time, Rowdy Randy just can’t shake that something is off but must carry on to plan, prepare and practice with her show crew. As the show goes on, the illustrations continue to draw you in as you read about Rowdy Randy and her Wild West Show.
This is a cute tale about an animal wild west show.
The artwork is beautiful. But there was no real message in this one. Just a fun story.
A book about animals performing in a wild west show.

The story shows how Rowdy Randy chose the acts for her show.  Animals came from all around to see it.  Her act was the final performance, and she rode in on a buffalo.  The crowd went wild.  Randy’s satisfaction was short lived when she sees a sign for Buffalo Bill’s Wild West Show.

The book had a lot of potential.  I liked the concept and the story itself.  However, I felt it was a bit wordy and the printing too tiny to read the words easily.  The illustrations mixed realistically drawn animals with unrealistic settings/situations.  Also, there is no consistency in the size of drawings.  For example, a duck and a deer are nearly the same size on a page.  It is disturbing at the least and briefly, verges on creepy.

I received an ARC from Mountain Stars Press, Casey Rislov Books through NetGalley.  This in no way affects my opinion or rating of this book.  I am voluntarily submitting this review and am under no obligation to do so.
I loved the illustrations- they were whimsical, fun and detailed...I didn't LOVE the font, I thought it didn't match the rest of the book and found it was quite detailed.

The dialogue and writing was a bit tough to chew on, and felt very scattered and a lot of inferring had to be done. While that is typically not an issue - it is distracting and confusing when it's in a children's book.
The end was definitely too complicated for a young reader to grasp and it was so abrupt I almost missed it.

Overall I thought the premise was fun, but I felt there was a bit of a disconnect between the targeted audience/illustrations and the writing, I would have loved to see this made longer into a Middle Grade with little to no illustrations, or knocked down to more a more simplistic version with less lengthy writing and verbiage.
This was a cute book and the illustrations were great. The animals were life like on each page. I like how all the various animals were helping out to get the show ready. Towards the end of the book, Rowdy Randy, the main character, sees someone on horseback putting up a poster. The illustration of this person is life like as well and makes one want to find out more about this person Rowdy Randy sees.
This was a cute little adventure. I love the moral of the story. My son really enjoyed this adventure. super cute!
This was a cute story and very colorful illustrations.  It would be a great read aloud book for a classroom. I think 1st-3rd grade would most likely understand the message behind the book and the vocabulary. Lots of activities with vocabulary! Thank you to NetGalley for the ARC.
The illustrations in this book are delightful and charming. The style will draw in both young and old audiences. The story follows Rowdy Randy, a daring horsefly in the wild west, as she prepares for and performs in a Wild West Show. The other animals have to audition for her and then the lucky ones perform in her show as opening acts. Rowdy Randy has a foreboding feeling throughout the story that she can’t place, but eagle-eyed readers will recognize the shadow looming in the background of some scenes. The story is cute though a bit underwhelming. Randy’s stunt is given no explanation as to why it would amaze the crowd. The story’s final detail may go over the head of some of the readers. The story’s length lends itself to the five-year-old and above kids. Toddlers would find the pictures delightful but the story might not hold their attention.  My only complaint was that the font wasn’t the easiest to read on a mobile device.
The Rowdy Randy Wild West Show is a beautifully illustrated story about a legendary horsefly named Rowdy Randy who is getting ready to put on a big show! She has a lot of work to do, like watch auditions and oversee construction, but she can't get rid of a foreboding feeling that something's wrong. What could it be?

Honestly, I was a little confused about Rowdy Randy's foreboding feeling and the ending of the story. I had to reread the story to make sure I didn't miss anything plot-wise. I did enjoy the very realistic illustrations and all the animal characters were beautifully detailed! Young children would enjoy looking through all the pictures and witnessing the amazing acts that each animal performs!

Thank you NetGalley and Mountain Stars Press for the advanced copy. All opinions are my own.
The Rowdy Randy Wild West Show is a fun, lengthy story about a horsefly who runs a variety show. I loved the illustrations of many different animals and their various talents! This is a longer book for bedtime, I'd say elementary school students would love it.