Cover Image: Revenge of the Raccoons

Revenge of the Raccoons

I absolutely loved this. The illustrations are bright, colorful, and sunshiny. The book has an easy to say cadence that rhymes well, and altogether works. The raccoons are the narrator saying you the reader are why they wonder homes.  They come to take out donuts and check out trees and scare cats. The reason they do this is because we destroyed their real homes. We log their forests and paved their grass and now they have no other place to go but our trash cans and our yard. This book is both fun but also a reminder that the animals had a home while we may think they’re a nuisance, they are just trying to live in their new environment. Kids will get and understand this message and help spread it around. This is a fun way to be reminded that the actions we take have consequences.
Revenge of the Raccoons
by Vivek Shraya
Pub Date: October 18, 2022
Owlkids

Thanks to the author, publisher, and NetGalley for the ARC of this book.  I am a little afraid of raccoons, they freak me out so this is a marvelous Halloween tale. Revenge of the Raccoons is both a riotous tale of an underdog uprising and a clever commentary on humans’ sense of ownership over the cities we live in. Playful rhyming text and vibrant illustrations inspired by classic horror movie posters bring the raccoons’ antics to life.

As the raccoons frolic into the night, readers will enjoy cheering on the creative and cunning antiheroes, and maybe even reconsider who rules the city.
4 stars
What worked for me:

1.).  The art is fantastic.  It's lively, colorful, and inclusive.  Kids will love spotting all the details.
2.). The rhyming structure and repeated refrain work and the word choices are expressive.
3.). I appreciated the message that humans are the ones that have encroached on nature, forcing animals to adapt.

What didn't quite work:

Maybe in an attempt at hyperbole, the text goes too far in making raccoons seem scary and destructive.   It paints them as terrifying chaos devils and doesn't really point out any good they do in their environment.   Very small children might wind up actually being frightened of them and even older kids won't develop much sympathy or appreciation for them.  This is troubling.

I wouldn't necessarily discourage a kid who picked this up, but I would want to read it with them to help put it in context.   I probably wouldn't introduce it on my own.

Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review!
Raccoons freak me out so I think they are the perfect characters for a scary book. A great Halloween story for the entire family.
The raccoons tell this funny, rhyming story about the havoc they cause for humans. The book is full of vibrant illustrations depicting the raccoons' "revenge". The repetition, the raccoons' antics, and the vivid illustrations that look like something out of an old horror movie are a delight.
The book makes raccoons look like the ultimate rebels. The story is easy for young children to remember. Our kids had fun reading the words in their best spooky voice. I liked that they included information about how humans took over their habitat.
I received an electronic ARC from Owlkids Books through NetGalley.
Humorous rhyming text about the raccoons taking over. Readers move with them as they move in and around humans. The illustrations capture both the raccoon and human reactions as raccoons take over homes and landmarks. Younger readers will be speaking the repetitive portion along with the reader in a group setting.  I appreciate the twist at the end when Shraya points out who was living there first.
This was such a cute book! I liked the rhyming aspect of it and I liked that they threw in there about how people built houses in the racoon's habitat. The artwork was adorable and I loved the fun colors throughout the book. I would definitely recommend this kids book.
This is absolutely brilliant. Tackling environmental issues and wildlife conservation by utilizing a creature feature horror movie tinged premise is so clever! The illustrations in this are so vivid, colorful, neon tinged, and cheeky. I am head over heels for these clever little critters. Having battled one myself late last summer whilst wrangling feral kittens made this all the more fun and silly, because it’s quite accurate to their chaotic little exploits. It’s got great refrains that will delight readers of all ages with interactive reading! And it really does drive the message home that we humans must be more cautious and empathetic to other life around us. I absolutely adored this book and it’s a fantastic writer and illustrator duo! I hope there are more books by this pair to enjoy!
I received an arc of this title from NetGalley for an honest review. Rebellious raccoons on the loose. Cute book with excellent rhyming.
A Cute picture book about raccoons getting their revenges.  I loved it. And I think kids will. I'm just not so sure their parents will.
Adorable rhyming book about everyone’s favourite trash pandas! I was doubly happy to see the Toronto setting. Super fun!
My stepson is a huge fan of mildly spooky and silly stories. Revenge of the Raccoons by Vivek Shraya did not disappoint us at all, and quite a few pages made us laugh out loud.

With fun illustrations, this fun alliterative read is great for younger readers and their parents alike.
I loved this book! The colors are super vibrant and often as chaotic as the theme. I love the raccoons and the idea they are taking back what was stolen from them. Children will have fun with rhymes and seeing all the trouble the racoons get into! This is a book I would definitely have for my child.
I get the overall idea of this book. People don't like raccoons but we have encroached on their habitats so they are here to stay. It was just a little too repetitive and simple for me. The illustrations weren't my favorite either. I suppose the intent was to make the racoons look vicious and wild but I still can't say I loved them. Over all it was ok but not one I feel like I need to read again or to any kids I know.
The rhyming and illustrations in this book definitely make it engaging for young readers. My son enjoyed watching the different reactions to the raccoons behavior, and seeing what they continued to get into. The lesson as to why the raccoons were taking things from the humans is important for kids, but it seemed a little out of place. I think if there had been a bit more of an ending of how we can better co-exist with raccoons, or fun facts about them at the end, that would have maybe tied the book up together a bit neater, but still a fun read.
Revenge of the Raccoons is a fun and beautifully illustrated story that discusses human encroachment on wild habitats from the perspective of raccoons. The old school horror movie-like illustrations are fun and full of humor. This book would make a great introduction to a lesson or discussion about habitat loss for children. The repetition also makes it easy for children to get engaged and involved in the reading which is always a win

My only complaint is that it makes and breaks rhyming patterns a bit more than I would have liked. I like a book to rhyme completely or not at all, so the fact that it sometimes rhymed and then didn't at others was a little off putting for me.
Rambunctious raccoons raid everything from trash cans to drugstores in this rollicking, rhyming picture book.  Illustrations portray raccoons both cuddly and scary, plus an array of bushy black and white tails! Perfect for Storytime!
This book is nothing overly special. It is not really realistic. It is just a plain picture book with a lot of repetition.
Revenge of the Raccoons tells the story of the ways raccoons and humans interact because of deforestation and habitat loss, but in a silly, accessible way for young readers. The illustrations are large enough for a story time read aloud, and the rhyming text works well for this purpose as well.