Cover Image: Classic Porsche 911 Buyer's Guide 1965-1998

Classic Porsche 911 Buyer's Guide 1965-1998

Classic Porsche 911 Buyer's Guide 1965-1998 by Randy Leffingwell is a valuable book for anyone considering buying a 911. What to watch for and what to avoid, as well as what jump at.

I admit I am not in the market, I was interested in the book for two reasons. The first was to take a bit of a nostalgia trip (I use books for nostalgia a lot more often than I probably should). A friend of mine owned several Porsches and a couple were 911s. The other reason was simply to see what types of things to look out for in general when buying used cars. While the year-by-year breakdown was specific, the opening sections offered some very good general advice that could be applied to other cars. I wish I had had a similar book on the first Fiat X1/9 I bought. I got lucky but could have done better. In my case, trial and error helped me shop for my second one much better.

If you like Porsches or just like technical information about the evolution of a classic automobile, this book offers quite a bit. While it is an information-first volume rather than a picture or coffee table book, the photographs are still good, especially the large one for each year that highlights problems and improvements. If you really are considering a 911, this book is an absolute must, it will help you find the best car for whatever budget you've made.

Reviewed from a copy made available by the publisher via NetGalley.
If you want to or need to get obsessed with the Porche automobile series or its history, here's the perfect book for you.

Love the real pictures provided in the book. Take your time to take in the information for each Porche!

Thank you, Quarto Publishing Group - Motorbooks, for the advance review copy.