Cover Image: The Light Among Us

The Light Among Us

I enjoy historical fiction and The Light Among Us was a good read for fellow fans. It was engaging and well written and the characters were interesting. Would recommend.
This was a really great historical novel.  I enjoyed it thoroughly! It was very well written and I was very engaged throughout!
First off, I liked the cover, covers are so important so one star just for that. Now the rest of the novel, I thought it was a well written historic fiction, a good Sunday evening kind of read. I think I would recommend this to others, its interesting and well written.
Such a well crafted novel, compelling enough to pull you through and very quick read. I enjoyed it so much from the first page till the end.
'The Light Among Us' takes factual threads of Elizabeth Crane's life, in mid-19th century Cornwall, and weaves together a plausible story of how this banker, social reformer, and geologist may have lived. Readers gain further insights, illuminated throughout the book, into Miss Crane's history, inner thoughts, and vulnerability.  Elizabeth Crane, unconscionably, for that time, was raised as her father's heir; she was raised to continue his legacy in both banking and geology.  Her father fostered an inquisitiveness that allowed her to question the social norms of that time and taught her steadfastness and single-mindedness to carry on his legacy.

The authors have put an enormous amount of research into this book; not only about Elizabeth's life but also about the history and geology of Cornwall at that time.  They have also thought hard on the personal journey that Elizabeth, as a woman and an heir may have toiled on.  However, at times, I felt that there was too much detailed information given, unnecessary to the overall story.  Further, the 'thoughts' Elizabeth shares, at times, seem 'clunky' and break up the flow of the story - which is already told from her point of view.

'The Light Among Us' is a book that recounts the history of a woman who was single-minded in her conviction of equality and the betterment of people. She did not accept living by social norms but nor did she expect it from others.  Readers of this book will not only learn a small part of social history, and a strong woman but also glean Cornwall's history of discovery, mining and smuggling during this period. Elizabeth Crane was an inspirational woman we can all learn from.
In “the light among us, “about Elizabeth Carney Who was an heiress, A banker, A geologist and many other things but in the book we find her in the fictitious Henry Pierce trying to uncover a smuggler. I found this book so entertaining and I loved Elizabeth character and also do not know which author wrote what, But together they have come up with a great historical fiction book about a real life person. She grew up in Cornwall and was educated but most of what she knew although her high intellect and education was encouraged by her father the collegiate level was all self taught or Learned by doing it. The mix of fiction and fact I think was woven together with great detail and imagination. I sincerely and totally loved this book and highly recommend it if you love historical fiction/romance you’ll love this book. I received this book from NetGalley and the publisher and I am leaving this review voluntarily please forgive any mistakes as I am blind and dictate my review but all opinions are definitely my own.
This was great! The plot was well-paced and captivating from start to finish. The characters were well-developed. I highly recommend this quick read! Many thanks to the author, publisher, and NetGalley for the advanced copy of the book.
Definitely not a book for me. The writing threw me off at the first page and I just couldn't get past it. I found myself skipping ahead right from the start, because I didn't have the patience to sit through the writing. Too long paragraphs. A weird tendency to write 'inner thoughts' in cursive - even though it was written in the 1. person and therefore comprised solely of inner thoughts. Some of the cursive parts even lasted entire pages, which was really annoying and frustrating. On top of that, the characters were bland and flat, the dialogue was stilted and the writing was solely telling, no showing. Really didn't enjoy it one bit.
I really enjoyed reading this book! I don’t usually love historical fiction but this one was really good!
This was a great historical novel, I enjoyed that I was able to see a real photo of the Elizabeth Carne. The story itself were really well done and I was invested in what was going on in each chapter, I think the characters felt like they belonged in the time period and I appreciated how well this book was done.

“If you try to be beloved,” said William, with a calm confidence I admired. I think he will be quite successful someday. It is his calm demeanour that appeals to me. He is confident but not arrogant, which is critical."