Cover Image: The Personal Assistant

The Personal Assistant

I know I’m posting this review super early but this was one of the best thrillers I’ve read in awhile so I wanted to make sure to get it on your radar ASAP! I’m a sucker for any storyline involving an influencer and this takes a look at the dark side of social media. More followers means more creeps, trolls and weirdos and when Alex hits a million followers on Instagram she’s thrilled. But not for long when a post of hers goes viral for all the wrong reasons and her fans turn on her in a vile way. Besides Alex you get the POV of her husband, Patrick who seems perfect on paper but….Then there’s AC who has been Alex’s assistant and godsend for months but she’s missing right when the shit hits the fan. I could not put this one down, it was so gripping and as the layers of lies and betrayals were peeled back, I couldn’t turn the pages fast enough. I thought things were going to take an obvious (albeit entertaining route) but I was wrong and thrilled to be wrong! No one does domestic suspense better than KBelle, if you like tense thrillers that keep you on the edge of your seat this was SO good!
An entertaining thriller even if it doesn’t offer anything startlingly new.

Alex is a social media influencer who has just hit 1 million followers on Instagram. She shares things about her husband and two children, and the public immediately latched on to her honest view of motherhood and being a woman in this day and age. Alex is doing so well that she recently hired a personal assistant named AC.

All is fine and dandy until Alex wakes up one morning to find that a controversial post under her name went viral overnight. Now her followers are turning on her and AC is nowhere to be found. Is AC who she said she was? Is someone else behind this dark situation that’s quickly becoming dangerous?

Author Kimberly Belle always writes enticing thrillers that are easy to fly through. No exception here. Although nothing really surprised me and the conclusion was lacking a bit, I was nonetheless entertained throughout and wanted to know what would happen. There’s still plenty of intrigue, and I have to give Belle credit where credit is due.

This is a great one to pick when you just want to curl up on the couch and read for the day.

Thank you to Park Row for a widget of the ARC through NetGalley. Expected Publication Date: 11/29/22.
An entertaining thriller even if it doesn’t offer anything startlingly new.

Alex's unexpected rise as a social media influencer would never have been possible without the help of her personal assistant AC. Just as a controversial post she swear she didn't write turns her audience against her, Alex's assistant disappears. As things keep getting worse for Alex's family, she digs into the identity of the woman who knew everything about her life. But when a woman is found murdered, Alex and her husband find themselves the prime suspects.

The Personal Assistant is the perfect thriller to read this winter. Belle's gripping story twists your expectations and keeps you wondering How awful is the husband? As the internet trolls turn from online harassment to in-person threats, Alex experiences the worst nightmare of any influencer. My biggest complaint is that Alex is slightly more clueless than I'd like, but overall, it was a fast can't stop turning the pages read.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

A cat and mouse game where almost nothing is as it seems!

I received an ARC and I never read the synopsis for Kimberly Belle books, so I had no idea what this book was about. I started reading and realized it was about an “influencer”. Influencers and Instagram may be my least favorite part of the internet so I kind of groaned to myself, but I kept reading. By chapter 2 I was hooked.
This book was a roller coaster ride.

When someone hacks Alex’s Instagram account and posts a horrible message about another influencer, Alex is “cancelled”. The only problem is that Alex is pretty certain that she, herself, made the post. But, in this book, nothing is as it seems and Alex’s life begins to unravel. Her assistant is missing and her husband is acting very strangely. Her internet community has turned on her and the trolls are coming after her family. How well does Alex really know the people closest to her? And how well do they know each other?

My only complaint about this book is that I read this weekend and didn’t save it for my beach trip next weekend.
Alex, an instagram influencer, post something controversial that she can't remember posting. She has always had the help of her assistant, AC, but when she reaches out for her help, she realizes she has gone missing. To make things worse, Alex and her husband become involved in the case. The twists and plot make the story a quick read!
Overall I really enjoyed this book and it certainly raises a lot of issues that would fuel great discussions in the classroom.  What is identity, how we present ourselves to the world, this book looks at an instagram influencer with a seemingly shiny life that goes very badly all of a sudden.  Who can she trust.  the two other main characters, her husband and her personal assistant have big secrets in their past and no one is who they say they are.  Overall a satisfying resolution  4.5
I have read most of Kimberly Belles books, I’m always a fan of them. They’re a light, quick read. A gripping story that makes you want to keep reading. There was oneeee section of this, a description of a sex scene, that bugged me, but other than that it was very enjoyable. I didn’t see a big part of the twist coming!
I feel a wave of emotions as I sit here and try to get my thoughts out on the page.

I am a huge Kimberly Belle fan and I have read everything published and to be published, to date. The Personal Assistant, easily slid into first place and became my most favored book in Belle’s collection.

The entire time I was reading I thought I had it all figured out . In my head I began to hate certain characters and love others. I sympathized for Alex and really wanted her to get her happy ending.

The internet, especially social media, has risen to the tops for marketing as of lately and influencers are now making more money than surgeons, attorneys, actors and politicians. Influencers have the power to make you do and buy things you wouldn’t ordinarily do. However, influencers not only receive endless amounts of love but an incredible amount of hate too .

Reading along with Alex’s story put social media in a totally different perspective . We look at someone’s followers in envy but do we really know what comes along with that type of popularity ?

Written from 3 points of view, I was instantly hooked . I loved the chapters written from Anna Claire’s POV as I felt she was the one exposing all of the secrets from the past. The Personal Assistant was a suspenseful nail biter that had me on the edge of my seat in anticipation of what would come next the entire time. I thought I had it all figured out but I was dead wrong .

The Personal Assistant easily became not only my favorite book by Belle but one of my favorite books of the year. Kudos to Belle for once again publishing a kick ass psychological thriller.

5 stars
Thanks @netgalley for read number 105 of 2022. I really enjoy this author’s books, and this one was no exception. There were twists throughout, and I found the social media component really interesting. I think that I was hoping for a little more from the ending. While there might have been some far-fetched twists, I still liked them. A ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ read in my books.
This book was sent to me by Netgalley for review.  Thanks to the publisher for the electronic copy.  An internet influencer…her life goes awry…too much  personal information posted…that seems to be the trend.  Red herrings…surprises…likable characters and some not so much…this is written by a talented author…it could be oh so true.The story moves somewhat slowly.
Oh my, another winner from Belle! Alex is a social media influencer, married to Patrick with two lovely daughters from her ex, Daniel. That's pretty much the only thing that's true in this twisty, crazy, novel that hooked me from the beginning and whipped me around like a rag doll! Alternating in perspectives, the book shows us their married lives, their personal secrets, and the trolls that are obsessive in many social media situations. Many red herrings, but I didn't have a clue until the very end! So turn off your phone, your Lifetime channel, your computer...and anything else that will get in the way of finishing this book! Oh, and take your kids' phones away until they're old enough to understand the creepy world of the internet!
Thanks to NetGalley for this ARC!
I read the first couple chapters but it just wasn't my cup of tea.  An Instagram "influencer" has her life blown up by a post she made in a drunken haze.  Too vapid & narcissistic for my taste.
Great thriller that I can't wait to read more from this author. Kept me guessing until the very end which is hard to do!
Reading this reiterates why Kimberly Belle is one of my favorite authors. Social media gone completely awry and a sketchy personal assistant take center stage in this fast-paced psychological thriller. The plot is gripping right from the start. Dual time periods comprise chapters told from the perspectives of multiple characters succeed in producing abundant suspense. The twisty plot delivers more than one surprise and the ending is both unexpected and satisfying. Belle is truly a master of creating and enthralling story. Ideal for fans of Gilly Macmillan, B.A. Paris and Sandie Jones.
Alex is a successful Instagram influencer, making her mark as the "relatable mommy" that everyone would want to be friends with.  However, Alex surely wouldn't have achieved her level of success without the help of her trusty assistant. AC.  That all comes crashing to a halt one night when AC vanishes into thin air.  Naturally, the police question Alex and her husband, Patrick.  After all, Patrick had been spotted arguing with AC in the yard the week that she vanished.  Does he know something about what has happened to AC?

Things only get worse when a body is found in Alex and Patrick's guest house.  Who was responsible for the murder?  Could AC have uncovered a family secret that Alex and Patrick are desperate to keep hidden?  Alex is racing to clear her name, as it becomes more and more obvious that someone is targeting her family.  Someone from her past that wants revenge, and will stop at nothing to get it.

This was an original story that had me guessing until the very end.  Told in alternating viewpoints, we get a glimpse into the minds of the main characters, and the secrets that each of them holds close to their vest.  The reader is also faced with the million-dollar question.....when the past returns to haunt us, what WOULDN'T we do to protect those closest to us?

Thank you to NetGalley for the ARC and opportunity to read and review this book.
Loved this book. I am a huge Kimberley Belle fan and have loved her other books. It did take me a while to get through this book and really get into it but once I did I loved it and loved the ending.
I've heard great things abbot Kimerly Belle's books but had yet to read one. But I will say this one won't be my last! The Personal Assistant was a book I couldn't put down - it kept me super engaged until the end!. It is mystery on mystery and breaks the mold of traditional thrillers. An influencer is very happy with her career and family life until a scathing post about a b movie actress sees an outcry from former fans. It leads to a nightmare scenario.
Every time you think you have it figured out things switch. The ending blew my mind.

Thank you to Harlequin Trade Publishing-  Park Row & NetGalley for allowing me to read and. review this digital arc
Not my favourite Kimberly Belle. Characters weren’t overly likeable, so I didn’t become as invested as I normally do. But an okay thriller.
Another exciting read by Kimberly Belle. I read this one in a day! Social media influencer, Alex, finds out what happens when your followers turn against you and your assistant is missing. Kimberly Belle has become one of my favorite writers. Don't miss this page-turner.
I love this new genre of influencer thrillers!! So addicting. Alex was such an interesting character. I loved and hated her. I liked that this wasn’t a single pov book, because it really set the scene better. Such a twisty story with an unexpected ending!! I highly recommend this one.

This isn’t my first book by her, but it is absolutely my favorite. I already can’t wait to read her next one!