Cover Image: The Gentleman's Book of Vices - PREVIEW

The Gentleman's Book of Vices - PREVIEW

AHHHHH WHY SO GOOD 😭😭
I am obsessed okay. This is so so good!!
A forbidden, secret, grumpyXsunshine book set in a historical era... I can't even... just so so perfect. I need the rest of the book asap.
Generic appreciation aside, this book is literally giving us a romance between an aristocrat and a man who writes some really spicy books on the down low...
Recipe for perfection, executed brilliantly. Kudos to the writer!
The Gentleman's Book of Vices - PREVIEW
Read Chapters 1-5!
by Jess Everlee

Five chapters was enough to introduce the main characters and give a hint of what might happen as the book progresses. We meet Charlie in a pub-men’s club catering to those with proclivities a bit different from the mainstream.  A name is given to Charlie that will allow him to collect an autograph he desires to have written in a rather lusty novel. Next is the meet-cute between Charlie and author, Miles. And finally, a scene with the bride-to-be, her mother, Charlie, cakes and wines to taste, and an unexpected showing of Miles at the event. I have no idea how the story but was intrigued by the setting, characters, and wondering what would happen after chapter five.

Thank you to NetGalley and Carina Adores for the ARC Preview – This is my honest review.

4 Stars
While I only had an amuse-bouche of the first five chapters, my appetite is certainly whetted for the whole dinner. A little steamy, a little funny, a little wistful - these opening chapters had it all. I can already tell Charlie and Miles are two protagonists who are going to run away with my heart. Jess Everlee's writing easily transports the reader to late Victorian London and immerses them in this tale. I can't wait to get my hands on the full work!
I genuinely cannot wait to read the rest of this novel. As a lover of historical romance, there is not nearly enough queer fiction in the genre. The first five chapters have me hooked as I made an instant connection to these witty, charming characters. If this preview is any indication, this is going to be a marvelous read.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for this fun preview!
I didn’t expect to like this preview much as I’m not really into stories that are set back to previous times, but I really enjoyed it! The book started strong and the plot right off the bat instead of trying to set the scene for chapters on end. I think the plot is super interesting and something I never thought I’d read, but I will definitely be reading this as soon as it comes out!
After reading just an excerpt of this story, I realized it wasn't for me. Not that the writing was poor or the storyline was foul, but it just wasn't my cup of tea! I am not necessarily a fan of historical fiction type of stories, so that combined with the romance was just outta left field and not in my normal wheelhouse of stories I would pick up. It was a great beginning of a story for those who like that sort of genre, and if I did, I'm sure I would have LOVED the story tremendously, but I just didn't. The story starts out in a club of sorts, but not a club in today's traditional sense. This was a speakeasy sort of club for gentlemen, and the way the protagonist described his "catch" or who he was perusing was a bit off-putting, as though people were just play things for him. Had there been more to the story, it might have led into something, but I'm not 100% sure on this! So, while this was a mega turn off for me personally, it didn't distract me from the storyline itself. The story progressed with the gentleman with a few vices, including some spicy scenes. I can only imagine how much more spicy the story gets as it progresses from here. Not a top of my list book, but I'm sure it will be a wonderful one at that!
Well, the first five chapters were a blast! Witty, nice prose, intriguing plot, unique setting  (what a delightful queer side of London!), Charlie is such a charming character, I love them being a bit jaded, a bit vulnerable, yet cheerfully sarcastic; meanwhile Miles seems to be the grumpy one in this sunshine x grumpy pairing. And chapter 5: after this cake tasting scene I am in a dire need of a cake ASAP preferably with a company of rough sommelier writing some serious smut!

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the ARC in exchange of honest review.
I have only read the first 5 chapters which I received as an ARC thanks to Net Galley and the publisher.

It is a M/M romance set in London in the 1880s. Charlie is about to marry and settle down to make his family happy and get out of debt. Before the wedding he aims to meet his favorite smut author. The author, Miles, is a lonely bookstore owner. The two hit it off, but miscommunications and shenanigans ensue.

I really liked the main characters. I could feel how much Charlie liked his fiancé and felt conflicted about marrying her. Miles is still a bit of a mystery, but I look forward to learning more about his romantic past and seeing why he has shut himself off / is so distrustful of Charlie at first.

I am looking forward to reading the rest of the book.
Thank you Netgalley  and Jess Everlee for giving me a  chance to read the preview.
It has first five chapters of the book. I am so excited to read the whole book. I liked the writing style. There are comparatively less queer period books , so it's good to see more.
I was lucky enough to have received a copy of the book from NetGalley so I will be giving my full review there!
What a splendid first five chapters! Thank you NetGalley for allowing me to dive in!  Immediately I found the characters to be a joy to read! I also love the historical fiction setting and overall aura of the book already. I can’t wait to get my hands on the full thing! Absolutely entertaining intro to these characters and story!
I just loved the first 5 chapters. This light romance novel full of likable characters (so far), and what I assume to be a lot of spice will be a fun time for fall days. It’s just a preview, but I can’t wait to read the whole thing!!!!!
"The stranger's sudden nerves, the way he kept looking at the door and running his fingers over the seams of his bag, stood out as suspicious. He wasn't a customer. He was something else. He was trouble".
Written by Jess Everlee, The Gentleman's guide of Vices is a historical novel set in the late 1800s that revolves around Charlie, a gay man who is big on erotic books and Miles, Charlie's favourite author.
Even though I was lucky enough to read 5 chapters of the book, I was hooked on it from the beginning. Everlee's prose enables the reader to connect with both the story and the characters. I can't wait to read the whole book.
I really enjoy the immediate feeling of knowing these characters and the witty writing style. I cannot wait to finish this book and finish getting to now these characters. After only 5 chapters I’m ready for much more of this world
I'm on the edge of my seat and need the rest of this book asap!! It is so beautifully written, as any good period piece/historical fiction should be, with already a few fun little references to other famous works that made me smile. The tension between the main two characters is palpable, and their distinct personalities already come through strongly after just a few pages. The different chapters from their different perspectives also are very well written to show the differences in their mindsets.
OMG I need this entire book in my life immediately the first five chapters were a TEASE. What was that?! This is such an interesting approach to historical romance!
It's very rare for me nowadays to like a book almost immediately, but The Gentleman's Book of Vices is charming and witty for the five chapters I got to read,  and I'm sure the rest of the book follows. Will definitely be looking out for its release!!
This preview has me absolutely HOOKED! I requested the full ebook ARC and was lucky enough to be approved and I can't wait to dive in to the rest of this.

The writing is so vivid that it makes it very easy to picture this creative setting and our characters. The entire premise is refreshing, unique and unlike any book out there that I'm aware of! In just the 5 short chapters this preview gives you get a good taste of our two MC's with the dual POV setup and its definitely on my highly anticipated releases easily. Will be reviewing the full book soon once i finish it!
I liked this preview, it definitely set the vibe for the book. obviously from the first 5 chapters I can't have particular intricated thoughts, but while I found the writing odd sometimes the characters and the dynamic were definitely interesting. overall, a good start
I look forward to getting the chance to continue reading this book. The sampler simply wasn't enough. I already love the characters of Charlie and Miles, and I can't wait to see how their relationship develops and what drama it causes amongst their peers.