Cover Image: Missing Dead Girls

Missing Dead Girls

Sara Walters knows how to write tortured queer girl angst. This book is full of it.

Tillie has moved to a new town and is trying to start over after tragedy struck in her old town… she has some secrets she is holding close. She told herself that she wouldn’t allow herself to get completely wrapped up in another girl… but here she is with queen bee type Madison.

But, Madison has her own secrets. One common secret they share, people die around the two of them…

This book deals a lot with trauma and how it’s is dealt with. This one was a riveting read.
I didn’t love this story.

It was a bit to slow for me and just didn’t keep my interest. I did finish the book but was tempted to DNF a couple times throughout the story.
I first off want to say this is the case of a book my students may enjoy, because it is very YA. I want to say this before I get into my personal review:
Students will love this twisting, turning journey during Tillie’s summer break. Tillie has a secret for why she left Philly, and Madison is going tot be the one to drag it out of her. This book explores the toxic relationship between two high school girls with dark secrets. Tillie is an unreliable narrator and the author deftly weaves the timeline of Tillie’s past with her present. She expertly drops little nuggets of the story and allows the reader to try to figure out what will happen next.

Now personally, this book was poorly written. The relationship is odd because the girls get wrapped up within each other so fast. I also don’t know how I feel about a book where our main character constantly references the fact that she’s okay with being ruined by Madison. I didn’t find the situations/ major events that occurred interesting. The random side plot about fixing up the playhouse and the little drowned girl is weird and unnecessary. It reads as though the author is leaving the door open for a sequel, and while I’d be compelled to pick it up to see if some of my questions have answers, I am equally compelled to ignore it and leave my questions unanswered.
Mystery/ Thriller is not my primary genre, but I really liked Missing Dead Girls. It's creepy and romantic, with a satisfying outcome for the antagonist.
The end left me wanting more.
This story wasn’t for me, while I liked the characters, thought they were very compelling and I was glad about the sapphic representation. I didn’t like the fact that this book is basically literary fiction and the mystery and thriller parts only happen towards the end. I really enjoy thrillers, but the fact that only the very last part of the book had some action, was just not it for me. The book also felt very repetitive, Tillie constantly thinks about the same things all the time, and it got a bit frustrating to read about.
A bewitching girl, a girl haunted by a tragedy and how they fell from grace.

This book is fast and has a simple idea, revenge. But while the revenge seems sweet, the two girls enacting it are very dark & questionable, and you can't fully enjoy the vengeance after discovering who they are. It leaves you questioning morals. I've enjoyed books like this, and they have left me thinking and wondering, and this book does that. I would recommend it for a darker-tone read.
I haven't read from Sara before, but I really enjoyed the pacing of this book. The plot was pretty straightforward, no real twists and turns that I didn't see coming, but I still enjoyed the read. For a YA thriller, I liked seeing queer sex and cursing, alongside drug and alcohol use. It's realistic! I could have done without the workplace incident to drive the plot forward, seemed unnecessary, but to each their own. I also think that there's something to be said for a happy queer experience instead of shame, outting, and blackmail, but I understand that's not all experiences of books. However, I don't think we need to perpetuate those storylines. Still, not a bad read!
I tried to get into this book I really did. It seemed short and choppy to me. I felt like there were pieces missing.
This was less of a thriller and more of a drama. Nothing particular thrilling or mysterious happened and I definitely think the death midway through was unnecessary.
Missing Dead Girls is a story about revenge, love, and trauma. It's about how to deal with the aftermath of a bad choice. The anticipation of what you know is going to happen keeps you on the edge waiting to fall. Trying not to get too attached to the character you know from the first chapter, is going to meet a violent end.

If you skip the first chapter, this book starts like a messed up summer romance. Both Tillie and Maddison have baggage and past traumas. They become the kind of couple that are both perfect for one another while also being a bomb just waiting to destroy the other. I was left in constant anticipation, waiting for Tillie's past to be revealed and for Maddison to die. Neither character is particularly likeable, but still characters you want to get to know.

With writing that is at times poetic, with lines that pack a punch, Missing Dead Girls is a story you wont want to stop reading. The kind of story that grows on you bit by bit. That tells you its secrets only for you to question their validity. And that punches you in the gut when the time is right.
Easy read however, quite slow paced and a tad underwhelming at times. I think there could’ve been more added to the story. I do love the lesbian rep between the MC and love interest.
Four friends have stolen aboard the Titanic. They're after the Rubaiyat - a book inlaid with priceless jewels. Josefa is a charismatic thief, Hinnah a daring acrobat, Violet an outstanding actress and Emilie a talented artist.

It is Josefa's plan, but she needs all of their skills. Despite their very different backgrounds, in a world of first-class passengers and suspicious crew members, the girls must work together to pull off the heist of their lives.
This book markets itself as a thriller, but it's more of a book about friendship with thriller elements thrown in at the end. The relationships in the book are not the healthiest, nor do they grow and mature over the course of the novel -- so it's not really a book about friendship, either. It's difficult to place this in a genre, and makes it difficult for me to know who to recommend this book to.
This book was fantastic! I really enjoyed it and it kept me guessing throughout, which is difficult for most books to do. I felt like I connected with the characters and really enjoyed the plot!
disturbing but well written.  I feel a movie and a possible sequel coming on.  There's more to tell with these two
No spoilers
I didn’t really like this book honestly. I found the plot not that detailed and rich. It was just so *easy* to read but it was extremely slow paced! And there was a lot of unanswered questions, even in the end of the book. It was overally an okay read, but maybe it wasn’t for me since it’s a YA book. I cannot place myself in the place of a young adult, so maybe someone who generally reads a lot of YA would appreciate this book more than me! I generally think that there could have been more to add to the story so that it could be more complex and better.
⭐️: 3/5

After some bad things happened to Tillie her junior year of high school, her mother moves them outside of Philly to a new town in order to get a fresh start. There, she meets Madison Frank, the queen bee who inspires adoration and obsession from everyone. As Tillie gets sucked more and more into her orbit, she starts forgetting the mistakes she made that led to the move from Philly. When Madison goes missing and Tillie is implicated, the secrets Tillie has been keeping about what really happened in Philly threaten to destroy her.

Missing Dead Girls started off pretty strong, with a prologue that draws the reader in and makes them want to figure out what happened, and how the story gets to that point. The writing style propelled the story really quickly, and didn’t have too many extraneous details or scenes that may have caused the book to drag. Because of this, it was a really quick, entertaining, kind of dark read. Through the book, I couldn’t quite get a read on any of the characters or their motivations, other than fitting and not being alone, which I guess is a pretty typical propulsive force in YA books. Tillie and Madison’s relationship was interesting, but the characters themselves lacked any real, distinguishing features other than the stereotypical “not like the other girls” girls. I’d classify this book as a YA thriller with dark theme, but also a romance book with major insta love trope vibes. I enjoyed the read, but it felt like a lot of build up for a relatively underwhelming and out of nowhere conclusion.

Thank you to @netgalley and @sourcebooksfire for this eARC in exchange for my honest review!
3/5 stars. I enjoyed this story and felt so sorry for everything Tillie got wrapped up in. I feel like this book had some similarities to "One of Us is Lying" and fans of that would likely enjoy this story. I also think readers that liked "Good Girl's Guide to Murder" or Jess Sutano's "The Obsession," would find a lot to love in this story. The problem for me with this story was the pacing. There were large chucks where the pace dragged extremely slow.

I received an advance review copy for free through NetGalley, and I am leaving this review voluntarily
DNF @ 30%- I simply could NOT get into this book. The writing was fine, but I found myself super frustrated with how flowery quotes were used in Tillie's thought process. It gave the book a super cheesy feeling had me holding the book at arm's length. I just don't think the writing style and I pair well- the plot was super interesting though!

For NetGalley purposes- I'm giving this a one star due to DNFing.
I feel like this book lied to me. When i picked it up, i was expecting an interesting thriller mystery about a missing girl and a photo of her body being sent to the whole school. I was expecting something intriguing with maybe a good twist or two. Sadly, that’s not what i got. the event sold to me in the description happened at the 85% mark. 85%!!! and when it does hit, it’s really disappointing. It felt rushed and anticlimactic. Everything before that wasn’t really bad, maybe i’d like it more if i wasn’t expecting something completely different. Characters were okay, no one that really stood out. The romance elements gets some points for being queer, but loses some for being “instant-love”, i rolled my eyes alot. Tillie was addicted to Madison after the first meeting and i didn’t find any of it believable. Best part of this book was definitely the writing, her style was fantastic and i found myself underlining alot of quotes.  Overall, it just didn’t hit the mark for me. It was a quick read, but nothing really happens. I would be curious to read more by Sara Walters, i really did love her prose