Cover Image: The In-Laws

The In-Laws

There was no proof reading done though. Many sentences the reader has to figure out what words were supposed to be there. Otherwise good psycho twists.
Very interested premise and I was intrigued from beginning to end,. The plot was excellent, character development was good.
The In-Laws by James Caine possesses the qualities of a good psychological thriller. The storyline had many twists and turns and kept me on the edge of my seat while reading. Chelsea and Henry are newly married and he is taking her home to meet his parents, Arthur and Martha. Chelsea’s in-laws are not your typical relatives, they live “off the grid,” seemingly unreachable, fending for themselves, and never leaving their home. Chelsea is uncomfortable with her new mother-in-law, Martha who seems abrasive and dangerous.  However, the visit is only for the weekend, or is it? This book was a fast read and you won’t see the twist that is coming. Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for the advance review copy in exchange for my honest review.
Such a quick read, because it was so good! Fast-paced and unexpected are the two best descriptors. I read it in one sitting and totally did not see the ending coming. Would definitely recommend to anyone who loves the mystery/thriller genre.
Awesome book!!!more twists and turns then I ever thought possible will defo read more by this author:)
3 ⭐️⭐️⭐️ I’m going to have a little difficulty writing this review because there were things I liked about the book but also things that I really did NOT like. First off, the storyline had a 4-5 star possibility. Bottom line is I think it was the writing for me with this one that dropped it to 3. I felt it was very “amateur” at times….from the descriptions , to the character’s developments, to the conversations. For example (without going into details so I don’t give spoilers): at one point Chelsea is fleeing from this extremely crazy family and she runs into a wolf and has to climb a tree to hide….and then she’s fleeing again and she stops for a brownie and bottle of water. I mean I get it, tired from running and needs water BUT at what point does someone who knows they could have just been killed decides to stop and have a little snack when on run! 😂

Overall I have definitely read worse and this book has potential but maybe it should have been edited a little more before publication! I did figure out who was bad and who wasn’t early on, but not a big deal to me…it happens. There was a shocking moment in there too so it does ultimately deserve 3 stars. Would I rush out and buy this one? No. If you have it already, would I recommend reading it? Maybe. 🤷‍♀️

Thank you to Victory Editing NetGalley Co-op for an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.

To see other reviews I’ve left, check out my Instagram and Goodreads pages:
*Instagram - bookworm_traveler808
*Goodreads - Cherihy808
First of all I would like to thank NetGalley for giving me the opportunity to read this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

WOW a whole new meaning to you can't choose your family.  This one started off alright but then all of a sudden it picked up and I just could not put the book down..  I liked the characters and rooted for them as well as against them.  When the plot was revealed I realized that I had it wrong and then was looking forward to seeing how this would turn out and what the reason was for this all happening.  Trying to give a good review without spoiling anything for the many readers that will be enjoying this next thriller.
I wasn't quite sure whether I would get into this book in the first couple of chapters, but it completely surprised me and kept me gripped with what was going on.  An excellent, can't put it down book.  Will look out for this author in future.
Chelsea and Henry Jameson are newly married and twenty-one-year-old Chelsea, a painter, is meeting Henry's parents for the first time. They haven't met before as her in-laws live off-the-grid and Henry, who is thirty-four and owns a security company, Secure Surveillance has delayed the opportunities for it to happen.

Martha who is in her fifties and Arthur, sixty-five, are certainly very bizarre people and they take living off the land to a new extreme. A gripping read that I read really quickly, it's twisty, creepy and unpredictable. A very good, claustrophobic tale by James Caine.

I received a complimentary copy of this novel at my request from Victory Editing NetGalley Co-op via NetGalley and this review is my own unbiased opinion.
Thank you to Netgalley for an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
A great plotline and fabulous characters. Well-written and terrifying at times. So many twists and turns. Recommended.
I read this book in one go, what a raucous, suspenseful thriller this one was - it’s a page turner with.a cracking twist. Really enjoyed it
She visited them for the weekend. Now they won't let her leave.

Chelsea Jameson married the perfect husband, but he doesn't like to talk about his past.

She finds out why when his parents invite them to stay at their off-the-grid cabin in the woods.

His mother dominates his life, even though her only son is in his thirties. Her mother-in-law creates conflict and tries to manipulate her husband against Chelsea.

When Chelsea discovers more about her husband’s parents, dark family secrets are unearthed, revealing the truth. This is not a regular visit to the in-laws.

Isolated and in the middle of nowhere, Chelsea needs to play their game if she wants to survive her visit.

Very well-drawn characters. Their emotions, their restlessness was all playing in front of me. Everything was flawless about the book, including the title and cover.
A fast paced thriller. I really enjoyed reading this book. It was exciting, had me on the edge of my seat. Made my heart race. It was very well written. Great plot. Everything i hoped for from the book.
This is a well written book. But I just couldn't help with it. I didn't really like how far fetched it was because it felt really hard to get into. But I do wish the author lots of luck with it. It just wasn't for me.
I really wanted to like this book. It appeared to have everything I love in a psychological thriller but it feel short in many ways. I’m sorry I couldn’t connect with it and I wis the author all the best with it.

Thank you to James Caine, Victory Editing and NetGalley for allowing me to read an advance copy of The In-Laws which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily.
When recently married Henry and Chelsea go right into the outbacks and beyond a crazy story begins!!!  I have to say I did enjoy this book and it kept me hooked but I did find it rather far fetched. Many won't have a problem with this I know and it is good escapism. After all that is what fiction is. It just went a but too far for me at times. I would still recommend it for a quick and thrilling read.
Excellent creepy story. This story derails very quickly, it starts off like a normal story of meeting the in laws for the first time. Then soon turns into a run for your life end. Great story line, very creepy and spooky plot. This will be a great read for someone looking for something different and who enjoys being scared.
Wow this was very well done and huge on the creep factor! Lots of tension and crazy twists.
I really enjoyed this one.
Thank you NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review this book
I was lucky to receive an advance copy of this book from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for my honest review and opinion.  WOW!  I will say this book will keep you on the edge of your seat and guessing until the very end.  You will finish with your mouth hanging open asking yourself what you just read!  Great book and can't wait to read more by this author.
Newlywed Chelsea and Henry are going to meet his parents for the first time. His parents live entirely off the grid and that’s the least strange thing about them.

A little too trope-y for me but a good fast read.