Cover Image: The Best American Magazine Writing 2022

The Best American Magazine Writing 2022

This yearly anthology always offers some good reads. A wide range of publications are included as are a number of categories. So, from the New York Times Magazine, The Atlantic, Harper’s, AARP and more as sources. Just two of the writers are Ann Patchett and Kareem Abdul-Jabaar. An example of a category is Winner-Essays and Criticism or Finalist-Service Journalism. Dip in and out as one wishes. Always walk away having read something interesting and worthwhile.

Many thanks to NetGalley and Columbia University Press for this title. All opinions are my own.
The Best American Magazine Writing 2022
Edited by Sid Holt for the American Society of Magazine Editors
Columbia University Press
Due November 29, 2022
***** ( 5 stars)

This is an anthology of magazine writers that have won recognition as finalists for their contribution to magazine writing in 2022. The topics are timely, and the research is evident in these articles. Magazines writers are criticized and overlooked alot, yet most of the most brilliant and wisest minds contribute to magazines and journals regularly. Subjects of Science, health, psychology and friendships are among the ones chosen for this anthology. Natalie Wolchover provides insight into the Webb and Kepler Telescopes that could rewrite cosmic history. Zachary Mider reminds of us of the correlation between methane gas and global warming. Kristin Canning calls for change in how we talk about abortion, while Vivian Gornick's riveting account of the lifelong effects of humiliation are essential. Katie Gutierrez's article on Vaqueros is unforgettable. Kareem Abdul Jabber reminds us that social justice can change lives and opportunities for people forever. Dotun Akintoye wonders if Jake Paul is bad for boxing, Rachel Aviv's  has an article about Harvey Weinstein and Elizabeth Fotus, and Heidi Blake and Katie Baker remind us how American guardianship strips people of their individuality and autonomy, as with Britney Spears. These are just a few of what is presented.
There is so much to delve into here. These articles will make you ponder, wonder and possibly re-think things that matter to you.
Thanks to #netgalley for sending this e-book ARC for review.
As always, this anthology is an excellent review of the past year in the press. You will find here a wide range of topics, some obvious – like pandemics or abortion rights – and some wonderfully obscure, like one of my favorite pieces, The Original Cowboys, about the forgotten legacy of Texas vaqueros. Along with the typical reporting and essays, there are some examples of sports and science writing.

Thanks to the publisher, Columbia University Press, and NetGalley for an advanced readers copy of this book.
Special thanks to Netgalley and Columbia University Press for the ARC of this book.

If you know me I love anthologies, some better than others.

This year's I happened to love. Going from one story to the next covering a wide berth of genres and topics.

I would recommend this book to anyone who loves a book of collections of essays and short stories for magazines. Really great this year. 5 stars
Another excellent entry in the Best American series! Anthology collections like these are such a great way to explore a genre of writing, and the selections for this year's best magazine writing are truly superb. Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read this book!
An excellent compilation of magazine articles in all formats.Literary fiction essays articles.This was a really interesting group covering a broad spectrum of writing really interesting well edited.really enjoyed.#netgalley #columbiauniversity.
I love a good collection of essays/magazine writing so I was curious to check out this collection of the best magazine writing in America for 2022. It was an excellent and interesting read that was educational , entertaining, eye-opening, and thought-provoking.

The topics of the articles were quite diverse and included pieces on the COVID pandemic, the James Webb Space Telescope, the exploration of Venus, abortion, Jake Paul and his boxing career, the problems with the guardianship industry, an "on the streets" look at the fall of Kabul, racism and the founder of the Audubon Society founder, the aftermath of 9/11, and personal stories and profiles that were quite diverse. The authors range from journalists to famous people (Kareem Abdul-Jabbar) to published authors (Ann Patchett).

I loved moving from one essay to another and discovering an entirely new world or person to explore. There wasn't a bad piece in the book, but obviously your "favorites" will depend on your own personal preferences. For example, I particularly liked the essay by Ann Patchett because I'm a fan of her writing. However, I was just as interested in pieces by writers I've never heard of and topics I didn't know anything about.

Some of the essays gave me a greater insight into current events--such as the launch of the James Webb Space Telescope and all that was involved in designing and launching it. I'd known it was already a success with all the photos that have been featured in the news, but reading about all the possible issues and design challenges gave me some more depth and context to what went into getting those photos.

The pieces were drawn from a variety of publications and websites, such as The Atlantic, Harper's, Popular Science, Quanta, Women's Health, AARP the Magazine,Texas Highways, ESPN.com, BuzzFeed News and more. So you're definitely being exposed to writing from sources that you may not come across or read in your daily life.

All in all, this was a satisfying read that I found quite edifying and interesting.
While I couldn't connect with all of the essays included here, there really is something for everyone. My favorite was These Precious Days, which is written by Ann Pachett about her experience quarantining with Sooki Raphael while she is going through treatment for pancreatic cancer. Brilliant and heartbreaking both. These are mostly very heavy reads, so be ready for a commitment if you decide to pick it up! But you will be better for it, having educated both your mind and soul.

Thank you to Columbia University Press and NetGalley for the opportunity to access this free e-arc in exchange for an honest review.
I used to read the Best Aimerican Essay series every year, but it became rather pretentious.  Over the last few years, this series has picked up what that series has left behind: strong, thought-provoking essays that are well-written, that leave you wondering and wanting to tell someone else the story.  There is a wide emotional scope here, and a breadth of subject matter.  From COVID, to dancing, to conspiratorial thinking, there's something for everyone.  You may not really jump into each essay, but the fact that there is a wide range of writing is to be commended.  The story on vaqueros providing some fascinating historical background, and the Buzzfeed article "Beyond Brittany" on guardianship exposed me to info that I would never have considered.  The Atlantic essay, Twenty Years Gone, which I had read in the Atlantic magazine, really blew me away, and I'm glad it is included here.  It is amazing and heartbreaking.

I always suggest this anthology for Christmas gifts, and this one will certainly win over anyone who loves to be adventurous in the nonfiction reading
The Best American Magazine Writing 2022 anthology has a great representation of writing in different formats from reporting to lyrical fiction. Highly readable, I recommend this for anyone who is serious about reading, writing, or publishing in magazines. Thanks, NetGalley, for the ARC!
This book was sent to me by Netgalley…thanks to the publisher for the electronic copy. Stories that are Intriguing by various authors…enjoy…authors that are reliable In that the reader can expect a good story…