Cover Image: Live Your Best Lie

Live Your Best Lie

It took me some time to really get into the book; I guess the way it was written with the Instagram posts style at the time deterred me from wanting to continue reading it. I didn't give up, and I was a bit surprised at who was behind it. I think teenagers will enjoy this a lot more as they can relate to the teens and the whole social media aspect.
I also enjoyed the ending and what that entitled just because it looks like some juicy stuff there.
The characters are very different, and you tell who has a strong personality.
I will say it felt a bit like the game where you got to find out who did it. Such as, was Mr. Brown hit with the candlestick in the library, or did he?
There are clues to solve; you must truly pay attention to what you read.
It is told through different points of view; pay attention to who you are reading about.
Live Your Best lie is a multiple perspective murder mystery reminiscent of One of Us is Lying. As far as mysteries go, it did keep me guessing as to who was guilty, and the reveal was an unexpected twist. Clues to the final twist were peppered into the story, but not in the most seamless way. Influencer-based mysteries often make its characters one-note and shallow. I do feel like the characters portrayed here were more realistic, and were not all fame-seeking and vapid. I do wish that the victim had not been such a stereotypical bully character that everyone hated. I personally feel like this trope is played out, but it is a personal preference. Overall, I would recommend this over any other influencer-based murder mystery that I have read, so if you are a fan of the genre, this book will be a hit.
Although not appropriate for my less mature readers, I really enjoyed this read! Will be buying a copy for my personal library and recommending to friends, as well as mature readers.
Trigger Warning: bullying, murder, child abuse, toxic relationship

Summer Cartwright seemed like she had it all: millions of online followers, admirers all around, trendy clothes for her closet, and  a crazy huge book deal coming out soon. Every second of Summer’s life is planned and cultivated to show her #LivingHerBestLife.

When Summer shows up dead at her own Halloween party following an unscheduled post, most eyes turn towards four people: her best friend, her ex-boyfriend, her frenemy, and her - what some would say - the wannabe stalker. The four band together to figure out who the real killer is before someone else gets the blame.

Live Your Best Lie is told through multiple POVs, flashbacks, and Summer’s social media posts and is a fast-paced mystery that is constantly switching lenses between the top suspects. You get clues starting from page one, and of course, some of them you don’t realize until the last few pages. Jessie Weaver did an amazing job at keeping the answers just out of reach until she was ready to give you the answers. There were a handful of times I backtracked pages to relook at something I had a hunch about - and that to me, is a good mystery / thriller.

For those who love true crime and books like One of Us is Lying, they will devour this book as well. Weaver keeps you tangled up and interested until the very end when there’s a twist you don’t see coming!

*Thank you Disney Book, Melissa de la Cruz Studio, NetGalley, and Publishers Weekly for an advanced ebook of this novel in exchange for an honest review
This book follows the death  and murder investigation of influencer Summer after she is found poisoned at her own Halloween party.  The book follows the perspectives of Adam, her ex boyfriend, Grace, her best friend, Laney, her former roommate, and Cora, her biggest fan.  The quick chapters back and forth really made it easy to read and made me eager to see what happened next.  This was also told with Instagram posts, texts, and police transcripts.  This taught thriller left me guessing until the very end.  I cannot wait to read more books from this author.
Read this when you have uninterrupted time - you won't want to put it down! With multiple POV's, flashbacks, and Instagram posts interspersed throughout, this mystery of who killed high school influencer Summer Cartwright will keep you guessing.
When Summer is found dead at her Halloween party, four of her "friends" become suspects. They all have secrets and motive, and end up reluctantly working together to figure out who the murderer is...and to keep themselves from taking the fall.
One group of friends and so many secrets.

This YA thriller follows the murder a social media influencer and finding her killer among her group of (faux) friends. With social media posts still being posted from her account sharing all her friends and families secrets (and teasers from her upcoming memoir) it has the whole group working together to find out who did it and/or why they are being framed. Is it the ex who broke her heart? The borderline stalker underclass man who wants to be her? The girl she’s blackmailing about her future? Her best friend who shattered her? Her shady/not present parents? Her brother who maybe doesn’t miss her like he should? So many questions. So many motives.

This book! Definitely read it but still have so many questions…..

Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for a chance to read this book.
A huge Thank You to The author, The publisher and NetGalley for providing the e-arc in exchange for an honest review.
Such a fun read!
Very engrossing and thrilling!
This was a fast read because I could not put it down. I love that the foul language was kept to a minimum. I am telling my school librarian to buy this for our library.
While this was a perfectly readable YA contemporary mystery focusing on the distortions and pitfalls of influencer culture as well as how to grieve imperfect people, something about the pacing and the characters didn't work for me. I didn't sympathize with Summer, yet I found most of the POV characters somewhere on the scale between annoying and truly reprehensible, but overall simply not engaging; I didn't find that we were immersed deeply enough in Laney's POV to really feel the impact of her guilt over her mother's death or the resolution, and I didn't care about Grace and Adam's feelings for each other. The book also didn't actually seem particularly invested in its own mystery/mysteries - the alliance of the four to investigate and find other suspects doesn't really get off the ground until the very last scene, and while the flashbacks certainly unravel further motivations and backstory, they don't do much to delve into or explicate anything regarding the actual crime. Perhaps it is the awareness that they are the most compelling part of the book that keeps them coming even though they're not overly useful, and also mostly don't seem to work in terms of giving Summer any more depth in terms of her draw and her relationships to the others. By the time we got to the reveal, I was surprised but also somehow didn't care who'd done it. I think this will certainly find its readers, likely those who are looking for something along the lines of The Rumor Game or the Burn for Burn trilogy, but those looking for real YA mysteries (and flawed characters who you actually feel invested in) might be better off sticking with Holly Jackson or Maureen Johnson.

This YA novel focuses on social media and betrayal.
Jessie Weaver's LIVE YOUR BEST LIE is a mediocre YA mystery in the vein of ONE OF US IS LYING. While I wanted to like the book, it fell short again and again--the social media excerpts were overdone, many of the characters felt stilted and flat, and frankly, it couldn't hold my  interest. We will likely buy it for our library, and I imagine it will find a readership.
Good book. Classic murder mystery whodunnit for teens and YA lovers.
***Sort of spoilers ahead***

If you like One of Us Is Lying by Karen McManus, you'll probably like this book as it's very similar plot-wise and character-wise but the ending will certainly throw you for a loop. Personally, the ending reminded me more of Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens than One of Us Is Lying but still.
This was a fun read. I love YA murder mysteries and while I was worried this would be too much like One of us is lying, I really liked this book. I did not see the ending coming. I very much enjoyed the instragram posts. Summer was one of those awful characters that you just love to hate!  And just when you thought you might feel sorry for her, she reminds you how terrible she is. Will definitely be buying this one for our library and recommending it to all my students!
This book was very well-written and kept you guessing until the very end! The only drawback for me was the fact that there are no true repercussions for the killer in the end.  Overall a fast-paced page turner with good characters that you wanted to root for throughout the book.
Live Your Best Lie is your next obsession. If you enjoyed One of Us is Lying, Pretty Little Liars, and Gossip Girl, this is the one for you. It is shocking that this is only Jessie Weaver's debut novel. Live Your Best Lie is a whodunnit mystery exploring friendship and social media with plenty of twists and secrets throughout. Sometimes you think you know someone through their social media, but you don't realize you're getting a highlight reel of what they want to show you. Weaver does an excellent job of illustrating this idea by way of a plot where big social media influencer Summer goes missing from her annual Halloween party only to be found dead. The story is told through the POV of four people who were close to Summer yet all had a reason to want her gone. You will not see the ending to this one coming!! I truly cannot recommend Live Your Best Lie enough. Be sure to check it out today!
This is for readers who liked One Of Us Is Lying, with each character telling their story for each chapter. Flashbacks and social media inserts through the story make for interesting twists of information. Part of me thought this was difficult to follow and a little off putting until I thought about how teens are currently navigating real life the same way. I think teens and ya readers will really like this one.
Great cover, fun premise, but really boring, with one-dimensional characters, a draggy plot, and a total nonsense ending.

Lots of other reviewers loved it, but this was not a good one for me.
One of Us is Lying meets Elite meets Gossip Girl. Everyone has secrets they don’t want made public. Live Your Best Lie has twists you won’t expect all the way to the very last page. Every time you think you have it figured out Weaver reveals another secret to make you question your suspicions.

While not fast-paced, the novel is a quick read I will definitely recommend to my students who like April Henry, Karen M. McManus, and the likes.
#LiveYourBestLie #NetGalley Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read and review this novel. I encourage you to check this one out!