Cover Image: Crochet Magical Creatures

Crochet Magical Creatures

There are some absolutely brilliant patterns in here which I can see myself making time and time again.
I am an avid crocheter and this book was great! I loved all the patterns and pictures. I would love to see any other books this company makes!
This was a solid crochet book! I liked that the intro had the tools you'd need, how to put together a set of those tools, and even the conversions. As someone who is frequently confused by the UK vs. US versions of hooks and terms, this was super handy. I made a few of these critters for friends this Christmas and they all came out really fantastically. The instructions were clear and the projects were fun.
Crochet Magical Creatures: 20 Easy Amigurumi Patterns by Drew Hill is an instructional book for readers of any age that want to try their hand at making magical creatures out of yarn and fluff. Learn about amigurumi, the Japanese art of crocheting stuffed toys, and use it to make a collection of cute, magical creatures. Easy patterns for critters like griffins and caticorns are simple enough for beginners while also offering plenty of fun for experienced enthusiasts. The book includes information on building your tool kit, clear step-by-step instructions to review essential crochet techniques, including the magic ring and single and double crochet, as well as fun stitches like the picot, and easy crochet patterns. Make dazzling dragons, marvelous mermaids, and more, with 20 simple amigurumi patterns that will have you crocheting with confidence.

Crochet Magical Creatures: 20 Easy Amigurumi Patterns is a solid instructional guide and well organized. I do like that the book includes a basic crochet refresher, because if you have put down your hook for awhile sometimes a refresher is good, and it is great instruction for newer crafters that might not know all of the terms and techniques yet. It also helps to clarify the stitches, because anyone that has studied crochet patterns from other countries might have discovered that even the basics like double and half double can mean different things in different countries. I learned that the hard way. I thought the patterns and instructions were all well worded and easy to follow. I also thought that the collection of creatures was nicely varied and there were some that were new to me. This is a fun and well done book on the topic for those getting started in amigurumi. For many crafters I think this will be a resource to borrow from the library or share with friends rather than a permanent addition to a personal library, but it is still very well done.
This book is fantastic! Featuring patterns for 20 magical creatures anyone would love.

This book has full colour photos and simple to read patterns. I feel like an advanced beginner would be able to make all of these, but even more experienced crocheters would get a lot of joy from these fun characters.  I’m pretty sure Gus the Enchanted Mushroom and the Dandy-Lion are my two favourites.

I would definitely recommend this book.
Amigurumi is my favorite thing to crochet.  I follow Drew on Instagram and love his creations.  His book did not disappoint.  All of the designs are adorable and great for crocheters at various skill levels!
If you’re new to crocheting and want to learn how to make amigurumi, this is an excellent pattern book for you! From start to finish, there’s an excellent amount of information that’s great for those either new to crocheting or new to amigurumi without being overwhelming. The opening has instructions for every technique one will need along with some techniques that aren’t a must, but just make life easier. One of those techniques is the magic ring. I’ve been crocheting for well over a decade and when I learned about the magic ring, I am not even exaggerating when I say it was life changing. It makes every project that’s worked in the round start up like a dream.

In addition to being a great instruction manual, there’s also 20 adorable and easy patterns that’s perfect for anyone getting started out. The instructions are easy to read, easy to follow, and have all the information provided to make the projects go as smoothly as possible. I think that this is a great book for people new to the craft and just folks who are looking for more amigurumi patterns.
fun and easy. Everything came out so freakin cute. I am an experienced crocheter but I gave this to my cousin as well who is a newbie and they were able to pick it up and complete the projects with no issues. I love these patterns and how easy it would be to change them up just slightly to make something totally different.
I am an avid crocheter and have looked through many crochet books. This one has solid instructions and diagrams, but I found that I wasn't super interested in any of the patterns. A lot of them are pretty darn cute, but I feel as a more advanced crocheter, I probably wouldn't make any of these. If you are interested in amigurumi and making cute little friends, I would recommend!
I would like to thank Netgalley and Callisto Media for a free copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.

Super cute designs!
A great collection of fun, magical themed, crochet projects. While it does include common creatures such as dragons and mermaids, it also includes quite a few unique creatures that I haven't seen patterns for before, such as the kitsune, hippocampus and jackalope. The range of difficulty in the available projects is great, and the patterns are clearly set out and written. I particularly like the detailed descriptions for assembling each project. And the overview of techniques and helpful tips at the start was really well written and explained, with some of the best visual representations of crochet I've seen (I'm not sure but I think the colouring they used in the images was the magic thing?).
I am particularly excited to try making the dragon, the garden fairy, the dandy-lion, and the griffin (his name is Percival!).
I totally loved this book about amigurumi the creatures are not all too complicated, and it would make a great start in learning this skill. The book is divided into two parts. Part one explains what you need to start making these projects and part two are the patterns. There are full color pictures throughout the book. The creatures are so cute and the instructions are well laid out. You should already have a working knowledge of the basics of crochet before you start. But you do not have to be an expert. There is a glossary in the back of the book to help you as well. The hard part trying to figure which one I want to make first.
Crochet Magical Creatures was a fun book of different crochet patterns. There were tutorials for each stitch you'd be using and I felt like all of the information was really easy to understand. These patterns each worked up really quickly for me.

I do wish that there had been more photos of the creations, so the maker could see more angles, but otherwise the book was great and the amigurumi creatures turned out really cute! My favorite was Gus the Enchanted Mushroom!

Thanks so much to Callisto Media, Rockridge Press, NetGalley and the author for an advanced copy of this book in exchange for my honest thoughts.
Crochet Magical Creatures is a fun collection of 20 stuffed amigurumi patterns. I would say these patterns are for advanced beginners because you need to know how to crochet in the round. I found the patterns to be well written with clear photos.
Among the cute patterns are Leonard the Dandy-Lion, Zinnia the Garden Fairy and Quentin the Gnome. All are adorable. There's a section on hook size, assembly, yarn and tips on making your amigurumi unique like by adding powder blush to the cheeks or using glitter yarn. There's also a breakdown of the different in UK and US stitches as well as a guide for the basic amigurumi stitches needed to crochet the toys in this book.
Overall, this is a great pattern book for any crocheter's shelf.
This is a book for every library.  Your personal library, your public library, your academic library, your art library...
This book was well done and has great pictures of the creatures you can create.  I especially liked the general information and the list of everything you would need to do the projects. The instructions were simple to follow and understand. I appreciated the general crochet knowledge at the beginning of the book and also the glossary at the end.  These creatures would make great baby or children's gifts.
Extremely cute and easy to follow even for someone as inexperienced as myself. Definitely will be on the lookout for a hard copy to add to my shelves.

Crochet Magical Creatures was published in September 2022. Thank you to Callisto Media, Rockridge Press, NetGalley and the author for the ARC.
Very instructional and well written. Patterns are fun, cute, ans easy to follow. I will be adding a hard copy of this to my bookshelf
Extremely cute. I can’t crochet so that’s the extent of my ability to assess this. To me it looks like a good purchase for school, public and academic libraries Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for access in exchange for an honest review.
I've been going back and forth on trying my hand at amigurumi.  The patterns in this book are clear and easy enough for a beginner to follow with excellent results.  It's definitely a great resource book to add to my collection.