Cover Image: Total Garbage

Total Garbage

This is an honest examination of what happens to our trash when we throw it away, as well as whether our recycling really does its job.  The answers are surprising, and will spur students to action as we think about how much we actually waste.  This would be a good book for the whole family to read and make commitments to take action reducing waste.

The author takes a hard look at how we got to this point of consumerism, waste, and waste disposal.  The marketing campaign of convenience, fast fashion, and disposable goods has made big money for corporations but has been disastrous for the planet.  I highly recommend this book as a school-wide read or a community initiative to encourage large groups of people to work together and reduce waste.

This would be a great book for older elementary or middle school, although younger students would understand most of the book as well.
Who knew there was such a depth and dynamic to trash. I was fascinated by the stories and enjoyed how the author drew the reader in with the little antidotes. The author packed a lot of information in a narrative and friendly manner. I highly recommend this book to everyone who wonders about the use cycle of our things.
Great bite-sized chapters about all things trash. Includes information about what kids can do to help.