Cover Image: The Wise Hours

The Wise Hours

An informative look at a wide range of European owls and the issues at stake in their lives and survival. Organized by owl type, the sections take the reader through a thorough description of each bird and the various dedicated people committed to learning about and protecting their mysterious lives. Unfortunately, the book seems to pull away from a great deal of personal reflection and intimacy. Ultimately though, the book is filled with enough detail and emphasis on these remarkable creatures that it’s well worth a read.
The Wise Hours; A Journey into the Wild and Secret World of Owls by Miriam Darlington was an absolutely enchanting book! There are so many incredible lessons that can be learned from owls! Wisdom aplenty.
I love reading nature nonfiction books and Owls may be my favorite type of bird. So when I saw this I was so excited. Miriam Darlington has a great writing style and I felt like I was on the journey with her. Overall this kept me invested and what I was expecting for the book.

"Little Owls, I had read, appear to have something named “small-owl syndrome” and regularly punch above their weight. Even here where they are very rare, this one was trying to singe us with its stare. Not much bigger than a song thrush, they can’t hurt people, but often take on birds that are larger than themselves, and frequently get mobbed because of this aggressive tendency."
Darlington’s fieldwork studying owls began in Britain, but as her fascination with these majestic creatures grew, she began to travel the globe, in search of more owls and more information. Sharing her love for these exquisite birds, her son Benji, was her unofficial research assistant and when he falls ill, it seems natural for mother and son to turn to the birds that have survived sixty million years on this planet for a potential cure. A beautiful, thought provoking memoir about the natural world and the importance of preserving it