Cover Image: Sensual Faith

Sensual Faith

I highlighted many things as I read this book. It came at it from a completely different culture than my own, but I could relate to so many things she talked about. The struggles with the battle between our faith and sex is not a new one. This book, written by a pastor was unique in its biblical approach to what the bible say about our bodies, our sex life, and scripture tying it together, diminishing cultural contracts we have from what we have been taught it says. I am still mulling over much of it. I felt privileged to be able to learn from this author, sit inside the inner circle, so to speak, on a journey of healing.
So, I really didn’t have any idea what I signed on for with this book. The tag “The Art of Coming Home to Your Body” spoke to me on many levels, so I clicked “request.” Overall, the book isn’t bad, and I really enjoyed seeing a quote from a friend. I did enjoy the different facets of Black Womanhood that was highlighted and the personable approach.

However, I didn’t realize the author was a preacher, and it definitely felt preachy at times which didn’t sit well with my tastes. I also wanted more focus on the Black Woman’s Body. She did a bunch of building up to the “Coming Home to Your Body” which made me feel a bit cheated when we only got about two chapters on the body.

I do think this will work beautifully for people in and out of the church. I loved the inclusion of reflection pieces as well as biblical text and context of the biblical quotes. It’s a really good book; it just didn’t meet all of my needs.

Writing from a theologically rooted and biblically informed position, the author does an incredible job of laying bare the truth of God’s heart—particularly as it relates to the bodies of women. She honors the reader as she does this, making clear the way forward of faithfulness and self-value interconnected.
A provocative look at the human body, sexuality and spirituality. This book challenges the reader to look at sexuality and spirituality in a more broader notion as it’s goal is to promote the imperative nature of truly understanding your body and it’s needs.
Thank you #convergentbooks and #NetGalley for an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review
As a Black Woman who grew up in The Church, I felt so seen and understood  by this authors writing and would definitely recommend this to any other Black Woman who may be interested in reconnecting with their body/sexuality or just healing from religious trauma in general. Lyvonne Briggs is a body and sex positive Pastor as well as a spiritual life coach and wants to teach folks, especially BW how to “come home” to our bodies. This book is written from a Womanist Theological standpoint which aims to center Black Women’s experiences.

TW: There are mentions of Sexual Abuse but the author put appropriate warnings ahead of them so if you’re not comfortable reading them you can skip ahead.
Sensual Faith by Lyvonne Briggs was such a unique book for me. One I am going to have to purchase an annotate! Briggs writes that pleasure is our birthright. Holy scripture, for sure.
This book concerns leading churched and formerly churched black women into a holistic relationship with their bodies.  This involved uncovering your spirituality, recovering your sensuality  discovering your sexuality. This book claims to help black women retrieve their ancestral wisdom, recover sacred birthrights, and revive spiritual practices. This book was disappointing because it claimed to explore the relation between spirituality and sexuality but it did not do so. Rather, it was a disconnected series of various topics concerning black women in general
Lyvonne Briggs' "Sensual Faith" is a gift to anyone wanting to reimagine and rekindle their relationship to their body and God-given sensuality.