Cover Image: The Cigar

The Cigar

Power, violence and murder and the rise to become a lead thug in the mafia. This book is dramatic and intriquing.
I loved the descriptions of the daily activities and although it is quite brutal it is very insightful.

I never thought this book was for me but it was a completely gripping read
The Cigar is a chronicle of the violent life (and death) of mobster Carmine Galante. Meticulously detailed, this is a fascinating account of  Galante’s life in the Mafia, and his ascension from street thug to ruthless killer and his insatiable quest for power, which ultimately led to his death. Lots of name-dropping here, as the author does a remarkable job of recounting mob hits and locations, culled from police and court reports and interviews. Loved the “conversational” and witty writing style, this is a must read for any mob aficionado.  I received an arc of this book from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
This is a look at the life of Carmine Galante, a none too savvy mobster. There is debate whether he was born in Italy before his family moved to the US, or if he was born here in the US as his birth certificate showed. It made it harder for him to be deported as they could never prove he was from Italy. Another good mob read by this pair of authors.
A fascinating story of Mr. Galante, of which I had very little knowledge of. Anyone interested in Mafia stories will find this an interesting read, with all the whacking of mob guys you wonder how some of them lived past middle age. I received an e-book in return for an unbiased review.
this was a really well done true crime book about a mobster that I really never heard of before. It was interesting to learn about Camillo Carmine Galante and his life. I was invested in what was going on in the book and really thought it was well done.