Cover Image: Last Sunrise in Eterna

Last Sunrise in Eterna

I've never read a fae fantasy story that doesn't take place in a Euro-centric setting. Absolutely loved the diversity in characters and place! The true history of Puerto Rico and the fantastical elements were woven together so well, adding a rich depth to the story.
The main character, Sevim, is brave and on a quest of self-discovery. It was a joy to watch her develop throughout. The twist towards the end totally took me by surprise, and I couldn't stop reading!
An adventurous read!
Thank you, Netgalley, for this opportunity! This YA fantasy is inventive and original, which is hard to achieve in the genre. Ortiz has written a distinctly Puerto Rican story and this fresh perspective adds depth to the plot and the characters.
A fun fantasy dark and twisty book. Love the premise and the characters are pretty fun. All about the enemies to better trope. Will def get in store.
I didn't like this book enough to finish it. Made it slightly over half way through. None of the characters are likable. None of the characters are even interesting. The idea behind it is really nice, but the writing wasn't very good, and as previously stated, the characters are all either idiots or completely obnoxious. I can't figure out why most of the decisions or dialogue happens the way it does. There doesn't seem to be any reasonable explanation for anyone's behavior, and sometimes the same person seems to do something that directly opposes what they literally just said or did. Having an interesting basic backstory is not enough if the story itself isn't any good, and this one isn't.
This YA fantasy is inventive and original, something I think is hard to achieve in the genre. Ortiz has written a distinctly Puerto Rican story and this fresh perspective adds depth to the plot and the characters. The twist at the end made my jaw drop. Highly recommend for YA readers who enjoy fast-paced stories with complex emotions and characters.
Thank you, Page Street Publishing, Page Street Kids, for allowing me to read Last Sunrise in Eterna early!

I'm yet to read Ortiz's previous works, but I heard nothing but praise about them for their originality and Last Sunrise in Eterna is no different in this aspect. What I wasn't a fan of, were the characters which felt not-fully fleshed-out.