Cover Image: Roy Is Not a Dog

Roy Is Not a Dog

This is an adorable kids book and I'll definitely be purchasing it for my libraries! Is your neighbor a dog in disguise? Let's find out!

What fun! I love the detecting process that goes into the story, the repetition that everyone in the village knows everything about each other, even the moral of the tale is fun (not just useful to learn and know). Painless learning. My favorite thing!
The illustrations are delightful, imaginative, clear, and colorful.
Well suited for reading WITH someone of any age including ESL, and great for gifting to anyone, and even to a school or teacher or your public library!
I requested and received a free temporary e-book on Adobe Digital Editions from Penguin Random House Canada/Tundra Books via NetGalley. Thank you!
April 23, 2024

I loved the art style and Weasel's investigation of Roy. I don't see myself using it for Storytime since it is a little dense, but I could see it flying off my new book display.

A newspaper delivery boy named Weasel thinks he knows everything that's going on in his quiet, but quirky neighborhood. Everything except for if the mysterious resident at the end of the street, Roy, is a dog or not!

Lovely smart writing and humor. The plot is simple and done very well, and the names (Weasel! Pam Pam!) are so joyous and strange. Feels like a breath of fresh air!!

I really enjoyed this story.
There's a new neighbor on the block, and is he a dog? Perhaps!
But what is the good of snooping on a neighbor when everybody else isn't convinced?
Is Roy a dog, or just a peculiar human?
This book is really cute, and I hope it does well.

"Roy is Not a Dog" is a charming and uplifting children's book that promises to be a favorite among young readers. Esme Shapiro's talent for storytelling and illustration creates a magical world that sparks imagination and imparts valuable life lessons. This ARC copy offers a delightful glimpse into what is sure to become a cherished addition to children's literature shelves.

Thank you to NetGalley and Penguin Random House Canada for this DRC.
Weasel the paperboy is trying to solve a mystery. Is the neighbor at the end of the lane really a dog?
A super fun mystery with lots of puns and visual interest. Something new to find on every read.

#RoyIsNotaDog #NetGalley

I am a big fan of Esme's work, I feel they create a sense of whimsy and folklore around their characters that make it so easy to fall in love with them. This one was no exception, it simply was a delightful read. I loved the young boy's curiosity, which was both relatable as it was enticing for the reader to join in on the adventure. The use of repetition in the way the illustrations show the different houses before and after the discovery was also a nice touch. A favourite and excellent for a read-out-loud environment.

This is a longer picture book got older kids, would be great for pre-readers or kids just starting to read. Very funny sent the illustrations are just lovely!

Love the illustrations and the idea of the book. The dog cooking eggs and doing taxes? HILARIOUS! I don’t think the message jumped at me unfortunately but that’s very likely me. :/

Charming and quirky. My preschoolers want to read it over and over again! They were so surprised at the end and the giggles were tremendous. While we always adore a book with a dog, this one really has a special place in our hearts. The illustrations are really lovely for both adults and children. This books was a real joy for the entire classroom.

This was funny! A bit of mystery, a brief investigation, and lots of love in this picture book. A bit lengthy for toddler and baby storytimes, but a great read for growing readers ages 5 and up. If anything, the pictures are easy to track, so younger readers may make up their own story and have fun with it.

Sweet story about a boy who is curious about a mysterious neighbor. Captures both imagination and what it's like to live on a street where people know each other's business. Beautiful artwork.

A gorgeously illustrated tribute to diversity, this sweet book is as beautiful to look at as it is thoughtfully messaged. Not to mention funny, playful, and oh so charming.

When Weasel, a little boy who notices everything in his neighborhood of Lilypod Lane, identifies a strange house with an unusual occupant, he becomes convinced there is something exotic and strange about his new neighbor, Roy. With his bone shaped entryway and furry snout, could it be that Roy might actually be a dog?

Pam Pam, Weasel’s clever friend, is not so sure, however, and needs more information before they can declare the mystery solved. Weasel is happy to go sleuthing, and has a few tricks up his sleeve.

As Roy’s secret is cleverly revealed, Weasel and Pam Pam learn about acceptance, being ourselves, and the joy of celebrating the differences amongst all of us.

A sweet and simple story your child will beg you to read over and over, this book will tickle the imagination of any youngster (or adult who is young at heart) - who will love to see Roy’s truth revealed and celebrated.

A great big thank you to #Netgalley, the publisher and the authors for an ARC of this delightful book. All thoughts presented are my own.

Weasel has questions about his new neighbor and a few ideas as to who or rather what he could be. Roy is Not a Dog is a fun and funny look at what happens when you ask questions and go a little further than people's opinion. This lovable story was a delight to read and a good lesson in getting to know your neighbors.

Roy is Not a Dog is a fun, lighthearted kids book that is sure to delight any budding Sherlock Holmes! An adorable tale about the fun detective adventures of a ragtag group of animals.

I received an arc of this title from NetGalley for an honest review. A great mystery for kids to help solve in the neighborhood.

This one is quirky but very cute and has great illustrations. Throughout the book they believe that Roy is a dog but can't prove it, until the end. I liked the characters, the bit of mystery, and especially the illustrations. Plot wise it left me wanting more.

This book clearing wasn't for us. It wasn't fun to read out loud and there were words, phrases, and concepts that seemed beyond most children. We thought Pam Pam seemed mean and petty to her "friend" Weasel. Instead of being encouraging or helpful, her questions seemed condescending and portrayed a mistrust.

My kids and I loved this story. It was light hearted and led us on the journey of figuring out just what kind of town Roy lives in. The pictures were fun to look at and the dialogue made all three of us laugh. I would recommend this book to my library, schools, and possibly keep it on my own bookshelf.