Cover Image: The House Keeper

The House Keeper

Wow Valerie has done it again. After a terrible accident leaves Cassie widowed and guilt ridden she decides to leave London behind her and goes off to Hindon to start a new life. Purchasing a old run down house Cassie has visions of converting it and running a nice B&B. On closer inspection she wonders if she’s bit of more then she can chew with this new venture. Cassie soon employs a team of builders but strange things start to happen. Is someone trying to sabotage her new venture and make her fail before she even starts. After finding out that the last two previous owners all gave up on the house Cassie try’s to get to the bottom of the mysterious goings on. There are so many twists along the way in this book you won’t want to put it down.

The House Keeper by Valerie Keogh is an absolutely gripping contemporary psychological suspense that I just could not put down.
It was very atmospheric. It employed techniques from the Gothic tradition with an isolated, long forgotten house. The hairs on my head definitely rose at times, especially on the moonless nights when the action ramped up. The house became a character in its own right as it refused to yield its secrets.
All the characters were well drawn and realistic. An air of suspicion and mistrust wafted over many as I wondered just who was hiding what? Whispers in the night and huddled secrets need to come out.
Guilt and grief surrounded a newly widowed character. She felt burdened and was hiding a guilty secret. All was not as it seemed.
Old crimes surfaced, exposing those long dead of despicable crimes.
I thoroughly enjoyed The House Keeper. It was a compulsive read, very creepy at times, definitely not a book to read alone on a dark night.
I received a free copy via Rachel’s Random Resources for a blog tour. A favourable review was not required. All opinions are my own.

Such a great read! This author filled the book with so much suspense that I could not put it down. It was filled with drama, sadness and lifelong secrets and what people will do to keep this secrets hidden. Highly recommend reading.

I’d like to thank Boldwood Books and NetGalley for giving me the opportunity to read ‘The Housekeeper’ written by Valerie Keogh in exchange for my honest and unbiased review.

Following the death of her husband Richie in a road traffic accident, Cassie Macreddin dreams of running a bed and breakfast and falls in love with an old property in Wiltshire called Hindon House, but as soon as she moves in strange events start happening until she feels someone is trying to tell her they don’t want her there. As the events escalate Cassie fears for her life and has to decide whether to continue renovating the house or move out, but she’s a fighter and is determined to stay even though she can feel malevolence seeping from the walls of the house.

‘The Housekeeper’ is a chilling novel with an abundance of mystery, suspense and intrigue as it tells the story of Cassie and Hindon House. I’ve been gripped from page one as I’ve followed Cassie as she finds out about the history of her new home and who can, or can’t, be trusted. Written by one of my favourite authors, I’ve thoroughly enjoyed reading this novel with its mix of interesting characters and trying to second guess who could be intent on destroying Cassie’s life. It’s well worth reading and I can recommend it.

I loved this. Couldn’t put it down and read it in one sitting. After her husband dies Cassie Macreddin uses the insurance money to buy a very rundown house intending to turn it into a B&B. She loves Hindon House on sight, but its quite a sorry sight! Has she made a mistake? I like this authors books and I’ve read most if not all of them but this was definitely one of my favourites, I really was gripped from start to finish. Full of suspense and really edge of the seat stuff.

Briefly, after moving on to Hindon House Cassie begins to get strange feelings, particularly in the kitchen and the small rooms behind it with the barred windows. Then there are problems with the electrics and she has a couple of accidents. She begins to suspect that someone or something doesn’t want her in the house…but who or what?

There are hints of possible paranormal activity but Cassie tries to convince herself that her problems at the house are instigated by humans. Cassie is a great character and I couldn’t decide if I liked her or not, in fact I felt this way about most of the main characters - they were all a bit Jekyll and Hyde. I had no idea who the guilty party was, I must have changed my mind half a dozen times, and by the time I did figure it out it was reveal time…then another big reveal! In fact there were surprises on the surprises and some very sad moments as the truth comes out. A very entertaining read with a lot of cake and coffee!

The title is misleading but the book is highly recommended..
This is a twisty, complex psychological thriller that pulled me in from the first page.
The characters are well developed and richly drawn in this atmospheric character driven novel.
After a life changing event Cassie is leaving London to build on her dreams of creating a Bed and Breakfast in the Wiltshire countryside. She finds the perfect house which needs complete renovation and decides to live there while the changes are being made. The old Victorian house only adds to the atmosphere and creepiness of the story. Readers will wonder if it’s a haunted house tale or a psychological thriller. It’s a twisty, tense and clever story.
Excellently plotted with a beautiful writing style, the tale is skillfully structured and fast-paced.
A rollercoaster of suspense and a real page turner, this is full of intrigue, secrets and lies.
Many thanks to the author, publisher and NetGalley UK for the ARC.

Cassie has left her London home after her husband passes away to open a B&B. Her friends think she’s making a huge mistake because the house needs a lot of work. Once Cassie gets there, she realizes that her friends were probably right but she doesn’t want to tell them that. She tries her hardest to fix the house up but someone is trying to harm her. Or so she thinks someone is trying to harm her or is it all in her head?

I wasn’t sure if I was going to like this book or not, but overall I enjoyed it. I found the ending to be extremely far fetched though.

I received this book for free from netgalley in return for my honest opinion.

I really enjoyed reading this thriller and I would definitely recommend it as it kept me hooked throughout.

Cassie has moved from London to Hindon and brought a run down house to turn into a B&B, after her husband was killed in a car accident. The house holds many secrets within the walls. She is determined to live there while the contractors are working. The lights keep going off and she keeps having accidents.
Is the house haunted or is someone trying to get rid of her from the house.

I loved the plot twists in the book which had me on the edge of my seat.
I was pulled in from the very first page. I needed to know what was going on. The book had me guessing right to the end which I so didn’t expect. It was a great book to read and I would give it ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ and would definitely recommend it,

Thank you NetGalley, Boldwoodbooks and to the author Valerie Keogh for my copy in exchange for an honest review,

This book got the balance between sinister and reality just perfect! It's so creepy without being OTT or ridiculous. The main character isn't making stupid decisions, the other characters aren't pantomime villains and you are just kept guessing g the whole time! This is one of those books you get completely lost in and cant put down til the final pages. Another winner from the author

A historic house in a new small town, mysterious neighbors, and creepy things happening... this book sounded right up my alley! I loved The Housekeeper, by author Valerie Keogh. I read this book in less than 2 days because it felt impossible to put down. My favorite part was the ending; full of twists I didn't see coming. I cannot wait to read more from this author!

While this was a good book, I don't feel that it was quite a thriller. It definitely had some mystery to it, but it didn't give me the gripping feeling I typically get with thrillers. It was still an interesting story, though! I did enjoy it from beginning to end, and it kept me guessing throughout the book. Overall, I would recommend this book!

This book will have you GRIPPING your seat! A fast paced, THRILLING, SHOCKING, page turner! I did not want to put this book down! The ending left me bewildered…such a nice little twist that I’d have never of guessed! Definitely some spooky happenings at Hindon House.
One thing I’d like to suggest though, is to change the title. The title has nothing to do with this book and kept me confused, waiting for a housekeeper character to arrive. LOVED this book and love the author too.

Thanks #NetGalley and #BoldwoodBooks for this great read!

Great thriller that will keep you on the edge of your seat from beginning to end.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Thanks to Boldwood Books for this arc.
I wasnt sure when i read the title of this book, if it would hold my attention, but by jove i neednt have worried as it most certainly did.....When cassies husband is killed in a car accident she buys a rundown property 'Hindon House' which holds many secrets within its walls.. cassie doesnt get the biggest welcome to the area but she gets on with the renovations and then things start to happen..... The light switches are flipped off at the fuse box. how is that happening they arnt being tripped?? Who? How? I thoroughly enjoyed this book, i kept putting it down then a few minutes later i would pick it up again.' Just another few pages' i kept saying., i couldnt wait to see what happened next, it definately kept me reading into the early hours. Lots of twists, lots of secrets!!!! Does cassie get the answers she seeks? Highley recommend.

I adore this authors books
And couldn’t wait to get stuck into this one and it certainly didn’t disappoint and I read it pretty
Much in one sitting. I always know with this authors books that life goes on hold until have finished reading one of their books

This was a great psychological drama that cleverly intertwined events of the past with present day. The housekeeper was a chilling and suspenseful read that made me gasp out loud at various intervals and made the hairs on the back of my next stand on end

This was a gripping and chilling read that captured my interest from start to finish. Can’t wait to see what this author writes next.

Really fantastic read, couldn’t put this down. Perfect for anyone looking for a good psychological thriller that keeps u on the edge of your seat. Fantastic plot, fantastic characters.
5 stars

Another 5 star read from this unstoppable author, who’s currently rocking the top of the book charts with The Nurse. I actually think The Housekeeper has the edge on The Nurse. Could easily see it as a movie.

An unwelcome guest? Still in shock after the tragic death of her husband, Richie, Cassie Macreddin hopes her new home, historic Hindon House, is the place where she can heal her pain and hide her secrets. But Hindon House has secrets of its own.... Cassie soon realises that someone is actively trying to make her leave Hindon House.... but who? And why?

Needing to make a new start after her husband died, Cassie bought Hindon House so that she could renovate it and turn it into a Bed & Breakfast.

I was pulled in from the first page, and I could not put the book down. I needed to know who or what was behind the weird occurrences that were taking place in Hindon House. The tile of the book is misleading. The characters are a mixed bunch of likable and unlikable people. I love the author's writing style. This is another great read by the author.

I would like to thank #NetGalley #BoldwoodBooks and the author #ValerieKeogh for my ARC of #TheHousekeeper in exchange for an honest review.

Thank you to Boldwood Books & NetGalley for an ARC of this book, in exchange for my honest opinion.

Wow…. This book was disturbing, but also so good. One of those suspenseful thrillers that has you getting shivers up the back of your spine. And I also think it’s very important to note before you read this there should be an intense trigger warning for: miscarriage, and infant deaths.

After the death of her husband in a car crash she survived, Cassie decides to leave London to make a fresh start. She purchases an estate the “Hindon House” out in the country, with plans to renovate the entire house and set it up as a B&B. But every single thing she tries to accomplish in the house, is a disaster. And strange things begin to happen shortly after her arrival. Lights flickering on and off, power cuts, stuck windows, and not to mention the eerie feeling she gets just from stepping into the kitchen.

As she continues the renovation project with the help of a local contractor, she finds friendship with an older local woman Mrs Morgan. Will Cassie be able to successfully finish this renovation and open her B&B or is something more sinister happening here? She begins to feel like people want her out of the Hindon House, and will do whatever it takes to make it happen. Who can she trust? Her new elderly friend? The real estate broker who sold her the house? The contractor? Well buckle up and start reading to find out.

This book could honestly be the inspiration for an entire season of American Horror Story. Valerie Keogh is a true master at this genre of books!