Cover Image: The Midwife's Promise

The Midwife's Promise

I cannot recommend this book highly enough! Eliza Graham is one of my favourite authors. Her writing is exceptional and I am always totally captivated by her books.

This is a dual timeline story set in WW2 France and the 1990s in USA. Sophie is a midwife who bravely helps Jewish children escape into Switzerland. Her own daughter Camille meets the man of her dreams and gets married.

1992 Sophie is about to turn 90 …. she decides it is time to tell her secret to her family …..

A must read for historical fiction fans!

Oh my goodness, what an emotional read. I was completely absorbed by this book and really didn't want it to end. Fabulous. My thanks to netgalley and the publishers for giving me the opportunity to read this book in return for an honest review.

A lovely read set between war torn France in 1944 and New England in 1992. I feel like you know the characters in the book when you start reading it.

Omg this book was brilliant, gripping, shocking and lovely characters.. be prepared to shed a tear for sadness and joy. I have not read a book so good in a long time!

This is a serious, emotional, heart-breaking historical fiction and one that I just couldn't put down. This is the story of Sophie, the war, her daughter and a newborn baby. This is a tory of fear, courage, family and doing everything in your power to keep those you love safe and away from harm.

This is a beautifully and intensely written book with wonderfully developed characters. For most of the book you will be reading the story of the war, the 1940'2 but there is another timeline in 1992 which is where the story starts and ends. This story will take you on a very emotional ride but one you won't be able to put down or let go of.

I love this book, this story and the author has done a wonderful job. I highly recommend this to all.

Thank you NetGalley and Storm Publishing for giving me the opportunity to read and review this book.

A beautifully written and heartwrenching WWII story. Written in flashback fashion but easy to follow the storyline. I loved the characters and the story they told. A must read!

Although this story begins in 1992, it rapidly moves back in time to 1940s France where you will find yourself remaining for all but the last chapter. As usual I will not be rehashing the plot here as I believe that the professional blurb writers do a better job without giving anything away. Eliza Graham has a gift of writing with changes of pace throughout. At times it is drawn out and descriptive and then the reader is thrown into fast paced action, where you will want to read on rapidly. Be aware that this is not one of those books where all is well after a climatic scene of danger. It is a tale of compassion, duty, insecurity, horrific crime of man by man and above all family love. Babies are born, people find love and yet loose it again. All in all, a roller coaster of an emotional ride. Powerful and all in all worth reading.

Thank you for allowing me to review this book. I found it very moving. Although written across 2 timeliness, this didn't affect the development of the story. It was so easy to see how decisions were made by the main characters Sophie and Camille. Family relations can be fraught during difficult times, such as the War.
I loved the story and found it an emotional read that expressed the sentiments very well.

Not my cup of tea, but my mum read it and thoroughly enjoyed it. Not my cup of tea, but my mum read it and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Eliza Graham brings readers to occupied France during World War II in her latest novel. Following midwife Sophie and her daughter Camille at the height of the German occupation of France, readers find themselves resisting the Nazi regime while trying to protect themselves from the looming arm of the Vichy state. Separated by Camille’s marriage to a collaborator, Sophie flees from Lyon to the countryside, where she continues to smuggle Jewish children across the border into Switzerland while also tending to patients and resistors across the French countryside until her path crosses with Camille’s first pregnancy forcing her back to Lyon and into danger. Graham’s characters are the star of the show, and the complex relationship between Sophie and Camille, as well as the evolution of their relationship as the novel progresses and time passes, is fascinating, engaging, and compelling. As for the setting in occupied World War II Lyon and the French countryside, Graham brings the tensions of the war and the uncertain loyalties and lack of trust to the forefront of the narrative. Graham’s novel of a mother and daughter in a dangerous wartime situation is fascinating, compelling, and totally enjoyable, and readers of historical fiction will certainly enjoy this fantastic book.

"The Midwife's Promise" is a remarkable historical novel written by Eliza Graham. It is a dual-timeline story set between 1942 and 1992. The novel revolves around a mother and daughter's life during World War II. Sophie Hansen, the protagonist, is a midwife, and the story tells us about her life during the German occupation of France. She not only helped bring children into this world but also helped them escape the Nazis and reach safety across the border. The story starts with Sophie's 90th birthday when she decides to reveal the secret that she has kept from her son since his birth. She reflects on her life and the many heartbreaking and life-changing decisions she had to make in order to survive. Although the book was a bit slow-paced at times, it still managed to hold my interest. The sacrifices that the characters had to make were truly heartbreaking, and the choices they made led to a dramatically change the course of their lives forever.

This is such a powerful and moving story, reducing me to tears, hurting my heart, and totally captivating me. It’s the story of Sophie, a midwife in France during world war 2, and of the trials and ordeals that become a part of her life in those dangerous and brutal times. No one and nowhere is safe, and many times Sophie helps women through childbirth, until she is called upon to help her own daughter, Camille. As secrets become revealed, Sophie and Camille realise the danger that they are in, and the urgent need for escape. Camille is very weak, having just given birth to twins, and Sophie has to use all her professional skills to get them out of harm’s way. Helped by the sisters at the local convent, and Rosa, a young gypsy girl who has recently given birth herself, can they find a way to safety?
The story has a dual timeline, which I love, and is beautifully written, with a cast of very engaging characters. It is heartachingly compelling, and I loved it.

This is a dual-timeline story, told mostly during WWII. This is the story of Sophie, a midwife, and her daughter Camille. Sophie is celebrating her 90th birthday, a major milestone, and is ready to reveal a secret she's held on to for ages. Camille is ready to give birth and sends a note to her mother Sophie who is a midwife, but is also in hiding due to almost being caught by the Nazis. She's worried about it and sends a note to her mother for help. This is a great story of resilience, love, difficult choices, motherhood, and how far one would go to protect her kids as she navigates the landscape of WWII. Another great historical fiction read!

Thanks to Storm Publishing, Netgalley, and the author of the ARC of this story.

I received a complimentary copy of this book via Netgalley. Opinions expressed in this review are my own opinions.

A heartbreaking read set in a heartbreaking time period.

At first, I was a little overwhelmed by being introduced to many characters at once, but that is definitely a me issue.

The story is gripping and will make you feel sad emotions, I tried to remember that Sophie gets to celebrate 90 with her family in her own home.

Wonderful storytelling by Eliza Graham, look for future books

This is an excellent dual timeline historical fiction book set in 1992 USA, and France during World War Two.

It is the tale of Sophie, a dedicated midwife and nurse and her daughter Camille, and the lengths people will go to protect the ones they love. It is a well written compelling read that will stay with me for a long time.

Very highly recommended!!

Wow this was a really good book. Thank you to NetGalley for the ARC (Advance Reader Copy) of The Midwife's Promise by Eliza Graham. This was a heartbreaking historical novel of WWII set in France. It has a dual timeline between 1942 and 1992. I have never read a book by this author before but I will now seek for others by her. I thoroughly enjoyed this one and I would highly recommend it to others. I gave it a 5 star rating.

A beautiful story of love, sacrifice, bravery and loss. This WW2 dual timeline historical fiction set in occupied France tells the story of the relationship between a mother and daughter. The bravery and sacrifices of the mother and the heartfelt truth she keeps from her son. It did take me a few chapters to get into this story but I was truly immersed once the story evolved. The Midwifes Promise by Eliza Graham is a great read for those that love WW2 historical novels.
I would like to thank Storm Publishing, NetGalley and the author for the opportunity to read this complimentary copy for an honest review. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.

Really enjoyed this book, set in World War 2, it is gripping from the beginning and follows how the charactersare affected by love, sacrifice, strength and loss.

The “Midwife’s Promise” is a story of a grandmother's decision to raise her grandson as her own after Germany takes control of Lyon, France. Sophie Hansen takes her calling of being a midwife very seriously despite the risk of detainment by German soldiers. As the war continues, Sophie is asked to help children escape German controlled France since the convent is no longer safe. Sophie’s Daughter, Camille chooses to remain in Lyon after marrying Jean-Luc, a successful business man despite Germany’s presence. Camille becomes pregnant and asks her mother to return to Lyon after sensing something is not right. Sophie’s return sparks a chain reaction leading to Camille and her in-laws fleeing Lyon for safety.

Eliza Grahams takes readers to Germany’s occupation of France where fear runs rampant. Eliza’s character of Sophie and Camille encompasses a loving mother and daughter’s relationship when Sophie returns to help Camilla deliver her babies. Eliza convey’s the frustration Camilla feels when she isn’t able to embrace her mother when she responds to her daughters call for help. Sophie is referred to a midwife to keep her true identity hidden as one who helps Jewish children escape to freedom. I am a fan of historical fiction and enjoyed this book very much.

It was 1992 in New England and Sophie was preparing for her ninetieth birthday. She had much to share with her son, and felt now was the time. She'd written it all down, and as the memories of those days long ago swept over her once again, she wondered, as she always did, if she could have done anything differently...

Sophie was a well respected and well known midwife, always away from home tending to new mothers, women giving birth. Since her husband had passed two years prior, she'd become busier, using her work to stop her dwelling on past memories. But France was changing. The Germans had arrived although not in Lyon as yet. Sophie's daughter Camille, was alone a lot and she too missed her father. When she met Jean-Luc and fell in love, Sophie was unable to attend the wedding and Camille was devastated.

1942 and Camille wasn't far from giving birth. She'd sent a message to her mother, hoping for her support and comfort, plus her experience. And when Sophie arrived, Camille relaxed. But danger was closing in with a German interested in Jean-Luc's business and what he might be doing behind the scenes. When the safety of Sophie's hideout beckoned, they fled Lyon in her mother-in-law's vehicle, the car filled with women and children. Would they make it - safely - to their destination?

The Midwife's Promise is another heartbreaking but outstanding historical novel by Eliza Graham which I adored. Sophie is an excellent character, strong and determined, compassionate and caring. The dual timeline is mild with most of the story set during WWII in France. This is my second by this author, and I'll definitely be reading more. Highly recommended.

With thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for my digital ARC to read in exchange for an honest review.