Cover Image: Anxious

Anxious

Excellent book to explain to young children what anxiety may feel and/or look like and to let them know they are not alone in their feelings. Beautiful illustrations as well.

At first starts with a short story about a girl feeling anxious and what she does to combat it. The second half (?) is notes to readers, parents, and caregivers about what to do when your child is feeling anxious.

Even though adults can also use this book in order to combat their anxiousness, it is more for children, since I thought the tips were really simple. This was a good resource for parents to use for their children to help them and I would recommend it them.

I wish I had understood what anxiety was when I was a child. Back then, my severe anxiety was often dismissed as mere shyness.

This book provides essential education on anxiety for both children and parents, complete with aesthetically pleasing and appropriate illustrations.

I highly recommend this book to any parent looking to understand and help manage anxiety in their children.

As a mother of a daughter with generalized anxiety, and a teacher of children with varying needs - including increased mental health struggles over the past several years, this book is a wonderful addition to a home or school library. The illustrations are relatively simple, but pack a big punch with the color scheme and details and depict feelings of anxiety in age appropriate written and visual ways. The to-the=point story is beautifully written while also being easy enough to read like a self-affirmation, and short enough to be effectively used in a such a way. I really appreciate the addition of the resources sections at the back of the book, particularly for readers who may be picking this up at the beginning of their journey finding calm. Will definitely add this one to the daily rotation. This would also make a lovely gift for little ones if your life who may be experiencing these feelings.

4+ stars

As an anxious kid who became an anxious teen and then an anxious adult before *finally* figuring out what was going on and starting to get some support for it, I appreciate that people are now writing more books about this kind of topic. I think it’s great that the notes and resources for adults are included along with the nice little story for kids. The illustrations are also gorgeous and would, I think, appeal to a range of people. I would be happy to gift this book to friends who have and/or teach young kids.

I really enjoyed this book. It was different than anything else I've read recently. I couldn't put it down! I will keep an eye out for this author's future work!

A beautifully illustrated book about anxiety.
The story was simple and straightforward, and provided a great description of what anxiety can look like that kids will understand.
I appreciated the information for both readers and caregivers at the end!
The muted color illustrations were beautiful and captured the feeling of anxiety perfectly.

Thanks to Net Galley. Thanks to the writer and the artist. Thank you thank thank you for making this book. The world needs it. I need it.

Anxious is a children's story focused around anxiety. It follows a little girl who gets anxious and shows how she can work through it.
It is a great way to talk about a new emotion with children and adults. It shows what anxiety can feel like, which can be scary at first. It also shows kids how to work through their anxiety with a trusted adult.

I also love the "Note to Adults" in the back!

Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for an ARC in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

Anxious by Luciana de Luna is a fantastic book for any shelf. She manages to take a big, complex issue like anxiety and break it down into bite sized pieces to help young readers understand the emotion. Each page holds only a short sentence or two so readers don’t have too much information to take in at a time. Barbani’s illustrations make the information and story come alive in soft pictures that still convey the tangle of emotions that anxiety displays without overwhelming the message.

Young readers are used to feeling big emotions, and this book will help any of them give a name and some potential coping skills to their feelings of anxiety. Resources are also offered in the back of the book for caregivers if more information or help is needed.

This is a great resource for kids on feeling anxious.
Anxiety can be such a hard feeling to detect even as adults... It can feel very confusing. I think this book is needed and could be a great addition to all homes.

I also really appreciate the resources for parents in the back of the book.

An absolutely beautiful book! I will share it with my kids, and hope the gentle explanations and guidance will help them recognize their own anxiety and give them an idea of how to escape its grasp. The illustrations are gorgeous!

This book is a goof brief introduction to anxiety for children. The illustrations are wonderful. The readers guides after for readers and for parents are great (especially the parent one, which has lots of resources ) I do wish in the text of the “story” it identified the “feeling “ as anxiety. I got an arc from netgalley, but my review is unbiased.

Young children, and adults too, often struggle with the feelings brought on by anxiousness. It can often stop us from everyday life and the things we love. I struggle with this myself. This book touched very close to my heart, as well as my son’s. My son who is 4 also struggles with anxiety and how to handle it daily, sometimes several times a day. We received this as an ebook ARC and we absolutely love this book. The story is told from the child’s view and what she faces during her day. It shows the real emotions that she struggles with, even when the world around just feels like it is too much to handle. The book is so well written and easy to follow for all children to understand. The simple illustrations are perfect, they give a calm vibe and keep it simple to focus on what the story is all about. I like that the story explained how she felt, like screaming and feeling strange. It also talks about how she learns to calm and breathe and to find a balance. This story was perfect for our family and I will be adding to our home library. It was so easy for my son to relate to the story and better understand his feelings. Share this wonderful book with your family.

This is such a great book for kids who have anxiety! Young kids don't always understand those feelings, so this is a nice book to help them see that these feelings happen to other kids. I love that it gives advice on what to do. The illustrations are great as well.

This is a beautiful children’s book. I found myself enchanted by the little moth girl. I have an anxiety disorder, so books that explain and help anxiety are always welcome in my library. I also have a four year old. This is a great book to read to him because it helps to explain anxiety but also has solutions for anxiety.

It’s so sweet in the way it gives a loving path for children and parents to connect and help repair the feelings that come with anxiety.

I would read this book again and I would also happily add this book to my library for my son.

"Anxious" is a beautiful picture book that follows a small girl dealing with anxious feelings. She lyrically describes how anxiety feels to her, and gorgeous illustrations gives those feelings life on the pages. Particularly striking is the double page spread of squiggly, scribbled black illustrating her darkest times, countered by a later double page spread of large flowers blooming in full color surrounding the child and caregiver embracing once the child has calmed down through asking for help, a hug, and breath practice. The book ends with a note to child readers, a note to adults/caregivers, and further resources. Both notes provide tips for self-regulation and encouragement to seek help when needed. This book is a gem that should have a place in all libraries serving children and their caregivers.

I absolutely love everything about this book. The story is relatable, and not only to anxious readers or people who have experienced anxiety, but also all neurodivergent readers. The feeling of strangeness, or things not being as they seem, the struggle to connect and not be overwhelmed by sounds and crowds, are all more universal than they might at first appear. The illustrations are endearing and made me love the characters, and that part of myself that feels this way as well. And I know if I feel that way, young readers will have that as well, only amplified by more in common with the speaker and her story. I love the butterfly outfit, and the quirky feelings throughout. It is often difficult to find beautiful, thoughtful quiet books about difference, disability and inclusion, and this book is all of those things. Lovely. I do wish there was more neurotypes directly addressed in the back material, as I feel this story will resonate with autistic readers, but the back material seems to focus only on neurotypical approaches. This is a small ask, as the book is so delightful, and that extra sentence or two would only expand its reach and meaning for me. A worthwhile read and addition to any library.

A beautiful illustrated journey through the many feelings of anxiety and how it can make you feel and how you can deal with it healthily.
I loved it! The art has such an ethereal quality to it, it was very calming to read!

Beautiful illustrations provided an insightful look into an anxious child's world. This book will be a useful tool in starting a conversation with kids about anxiety and how they're feeling. The illustrations help reinforce the feelings of anxiety; ranging from darker illustrations in the beginning when anxiety is felt the most to more colorful illustrations as help is asked for and the anxious feeling lessens. The author also provided a note to adults and resources for caregivers at the end of the book, which are helpful additions for those looking for more information.