Cover Image: Sun Don't Shine

Sun Don't Shine

Sixteen-year-old Reece is an expert at keeping secrets. She has to be, since her father abducted her ten years ago. For as long as she can remember, she’ s been on the run, sneaking food out of the dumpster and sleeping in the woods. Every time she moves, the same rules apply— cut your hair, change your name, and, above all, don’ t let anybody get too close. Reece has no choice except to obey Dad’ s orders. When Reece meets her first real friend, a boy named Shawn, she begins to realize that everyone else has secrets too. And the deadliest secret of all is the one her father has kept from her all these years.

This book was amazing. The plot was easy to follow. The dynamic between the characters was amazing. Will recommend to others.

This one's tough -- I think linguistically and stylistically this book gets the teen voice extremely accurate. The almost stream of consciousness style sounds like the thought process of a homeless teen. The world is believable and scary, and Reece's perspective of it is solid.

The plot itself is pretty good, nothing really stand out, but definitely not not enjoyable. There were one or two scenes that felt weird or forced, and it did kinda wrap up a bit too nicely for my taste. I think this is a good book, and I'll recommend to interested teens, but ultimately it's not list worthy.

I really wanted to enjoy this but unfortunately I couldn’t. I didn’t necessarily understand the plot because so much was going on. At first I liked where the story was going but then I got confused because it seemed like a romance but it definitely wasn’t. Also toward the end said love interest completely disappeared from the plot. There also wasn’t much closure to the epilogue and I was left feeling confused. I did like the writing style but unfortunately the plot didn’t do it for me.

I felt that this was just an ok read for me. I felt that it just didn't go anywhere and when it finally moved, it made no sense. It was just too cut and dried. I think this book needed to come full circle, especially with what Reece went through with her father. I think there needed to be some resolution as to what happens to him. I, also, struggled with the premise that the school wouldn't have already been involved in her situation since she has no reliability in her life. Just her physical appearance and smell alone would have drawn questions through the years. I did not understand how the rich boy was drawn to that either. Thanks for the ARC, NetGalley.

This book was great until the ending. Everything wrapped up too neatly, in my opinion. I wanted to see more of a resolution - she lived happily ever after, which is great, but I just felt like I needed more details. What happened to her dad? How did she adjust to her new life? Is there a sequel coming? There needs to be a sequel to answer these questions.

what a sad story- but a happy ending. very well written, it kept me wanting to read more and more until the end

Good book. Enjoyed the premise, easy read. A little rushed in places, but overall good! Nice to see some fic about teens in poverty, there's not a whole lot out there

Sun Don’t Shine is the story of a little girl who is kidnapped and abused by her father until she finds friendship with a teenage boy a decade later. As a lifelong Miami resident, Reese has never seen the middle-class areas. Her best skill is stealing at sixteen. Her dad trained her to steal for him, mostly cigarettes and alcohol. Reese lives in a van with her dad when an unused van is available. Otherwise, they slept in any area where the police wouldn’t discover them. Her dad enforces three fundamental rules with strictness. You may be shocked to see what they are. Dad answers every question with, “Because I said so!” and expects obedience without explanation. There are no exceptions or discussions about the rules. The story is amazingly realistic.

Reese and Shawn Bryant are in the early stages of a romance. Reese met Shawn in high school at sixteen. Shawn fell for her immediately. Reese liked him but couldn’t tell him because she wouldn’t show him how she lived. She was sure he wouldn’t accept her. Can a young adult recover from abusive parents?

Sun Don’t Shine is a Growing-Up Story of Self-Confidence: Teens must trust themselves and their caregivers before trying something new. Reese risks when she feels she’s safe. She’s fed up with secrecy and seeks answers. Thank you, NetGalley and Fitzroy Books, for the advance review copy. My opinions are voluntary and honest.

Author Crissa-Jean Chappell is from Miami and lives in Brooklyn. Miami changed as a child. It housed wharf rats. Now, it’s become a global holiday spot. Chappell observed from afar. She wrote about Miami and her peers. She became the “girl who writes about teenagers.” Her first young adult novel, Total Constant Order, is an NYPL Teen Book and VOYA Perfect Ten.

This manuscript has no significant flaws and received five stars. Young adults 12 and older are the book’s target audience. Sun Don’t Shine is for all young adults, but kids will relate more to abuse, neglect, and hardship if they have lived with them. Identification can be cleansing. The primary target for readership is teen and young adult homelessness and poverty.

Reece was abducted by her father when she was little. Now they’re always on the run, moving from one place to another, changing names and hairstyles. She has always gone along with her father's rules until she discovers the secret he has been keeping for her all along.

This was a quick and easy read. It was funny, interesting, fast-paced. I really liked Reece she seemed like such a cool and realistic teenager. It was kind of sad to see the things she missed out on and how much this life her father forced on her affected her. Overall, it was a decent YA thriller and I thought it had a satisfying ending.

I finished this book in 2 days. Would've been faster if I didn't need to get off the train and go to work. This book grabbed me almost from the start. I could not put it down. I could almost feel everything Reece was feeling through the pages. An excellent read.

Amazing book, that sucked me in right from the beginning. I love the characters and the storyline. This was the first book I read by this author. I'll definitely be reading more.

This was a really great book! I like the writing style and the characters are well-written. The length and pacing are perfect. I would recommend this and I'm definitely going to check out more from this author! Special Thank You to Crissa Jean-Chappell, Regal House Publishing and NetGalley for allowing me to read a complimentary copy in exchange for an honest review.

Really really good book with a fascinating character development. There are a few twists in the way which really throw the plot of the story in an interesting way to keep it a good read! The twists were unexpected and felt like a different take to this type of storyline. There are stages where the development felt slow and a few chapters which I would have identified as fillers but still gave some details which aided the story later.
Would recommend to friends and thank you to the author and publisher for letting me read an early copy! All thoughts and views are my own

Sadly, I did not care much for this book. I found it poorly written compared to most of the other books I've read this year so far.
#SunDontShine #NetGalley

thank you net galley and publisher for the eArc of this book! quick read, couldn’t put it down! enjoyed reading reece’s heartfelt story and everything she went through.

this was sooo good
i love reading murder mysteries and have kind of been in that mood so this was absolutely perfect
highly recommend for fans of a good girls guide to murder and the amateurs

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

If you’re looking for a quick read, this is the book for you! This book is a story about a girl named Reece that got kidnapped as a child by her father. She’s tired of keeping secrets and starts looking for answers
I really enjoyed the story and I’m happy to have discovered another great author

Thanks to #NetGalley and #RegalHousePublishing for the book #SunDontShine by #CarissaJeanChappell. This book is about a parent kidnapping and the life a young girl is forced to live. Makes you hope all lost kids find their way home.

Sun Don't Shine is an intriguing and compelling YA thriller that is hard to put down. It is a short book so you can definitely binge this one in one sitting. It is based on abduction by a parent so be careful if that is a trigger for you. The author did a good job with it !

Reece was definitely relatable, she went through so much. This book explores lots of different hardships and makes you think about how you would act in this situation. It is a scary thought as I am sure a lot of children out there are actually clueless about being abducted and just go through life never realizing it. It's a scary reality.

The story was well done, the plot was intriguing but the ending left me feeling a little underwhelmed as I would've like a conclusion that was more developed.

✨️Thank you to @netgalley, @regalhousepublishing & @crissajeanchappell for my free ARC in exchange for an honest review

Sun Don't Shine is a heart felt YA drama with a mystery element. A fast read taking me a few hours at a guess with enough draw that it kept me reading from beginning to end without a break. Your heart (Especially if you are a mother like me) can't help but feel for Reece and everything she's been through. I loved the characters, even her Dad. I wish at times we had more of a back story on him as I felt it would have maybe helped us understand it all a bit more. The 'explanation' near the end (I won't say more I don't give spoilers) didn't really give me enough. The ending was a little bit too 'put together' for my liking. After such a climax and HUGE decision for Reece I felt it was a little too short/quick.

My reason for the 3.5 stars and not anything higher was namely I hoped there would be more mystery. I kind of worked a few things out earlier on. I also felt the 'darker' side of things felt a little undeveloped, but this could have been because it was a YA. Still, I've read some brutal YA. More of a YA/Drama/General Fiction in my opinion.

Thank you to NetGalley and Regal House Publishing, Fitzroy Books for this ARC in exchange of an honest review.