Cover Image: A Darker Shade of Magic

A Darker Shade of Magic

V.E. Schwab can do do wrong! I loved this book. The world building was incredible and the characters!!!
I really enjoyed this book. V.E. Schwab is an amazing writer. I loved all the characters and really connected to them. Lila is such a badass characters. She's strong and empowering. Kell is also an amazing main character.
This is an amazing and dark world where there are worlds side by side, and accessible by a little magic and a lot of courage.
After reading this sampler I can't wait to read the rest of the book - what more can you ask for from a sample?!
There's a reason this book and this series have taken the world by storm. Wildly inventive and deep, this book is an engrossing read. The characters are delightful, the menace real, and the concept original.
I can't say enough good things about this book. I am constantly recommending it at work. The world building is fantastic, the characters are interesting, and the different versions of London are amazing. If you like fantasy, I highly recommend it.
It had been a while since I had read a fantasy YA book because of the fatigue and saturation. But having started A Darker Shade of Magic, it pulled me right in with the rich descriptions of the world this lives in and the magical things within the universe. A great start to a very intriguing series.
A Darker Shade of Magic is one of my favorite recent fantasy novels. Schwab combines beloved fantasy tropes with the an intriguing multiverse that kept me glued to the pages. I fell in love with Kell and Lila (particularly Kell), and I can’t wait to see where the series takes them. I would recommend this book to any readers of high fantasy craving a well-written novel with a new and interesting fantasy world.
This book was not for me. Although I did enjoy the world-building and discovering a new world of magic and mayhem, I just could not connect with the story and found it hard to get into. The writing itself was not bad, but I think this might be a novel I will try and pick up at another time when perhaps I have the time to commit to it properly.
This book flew by. I'm so intrigued by the characters and the story, but there's something that feels missing in this book, like it's just sitting on the edge of greatness. I'm really excited to see more from Lilah Bard, and more from the alternate realities.
I had very high expectations for this novel (I read the novel... not only the extract).  Did it live to those expectations?  No.  But I had a good time reading it and liked it overall.

The world building is very cool.  Four different Londons, four different approaches to magic.  The main character can travel from one world to the other... and as he doesn't always follow the rules, well... chaos happens.  I really liked the second protagonist, Delilah Bard, a badass pickpocket.  It's fast paced and action packed.  I would have prefered a little more development of the characters, a little more rules to magic use and less coincidences but I'll read book 2!
Can’t give a full review based on an excerpt (though I did get a full galley later on and liked this book a lot)
The preview for this book definitely made me excited to pick up the book. I have recently bought it within the past couple of books. It is definitely at the top of my list for fall reads.
This sneak peek had me hooked on the book. I ended up buying the book soon after along with the rest of the books and I really enjoyed this series and the magic of it.
Good excerpt Good start to the series.. Look forward to reading the book.
After reading the preview excerpt, I'm definitely intrigued by the story and the different types of Londons that Schwab has created! When it comes to fantasy novels, I tend to lean more towards high fantasy (like the Throne of Glass series or The Star-Touched Queen), but I think this series would be a nice break from high fantasy. I was a bit confused at first about how Kell travels between worlds, but then after reading and finishing the two chapters provided, it became clearer and left me wanting to know more about the different Londons and the politics and history involved!
This was only an excerpt but was a good beginning to the story. Nice writing and world building
I requested this excerpt before realizing that it was only an excerpt. Later, I read the full novel and was ok but rather cliche and forced feeling. I won't bother reading book 2.
Victoria Schwab is one of my favorite others and everything that she writes is just immersive and beautiful. Even if this was just an excerpt I loved every sentence
*I never got around to reading and reviewing this book. I may do so in the future*