Cover Image: Manga Classics: Great Expectations

Manga Classics: Great Expectations

Very good! I like how it stayed true to the original. One of my new favorites. Thank you so very much for the opportunity to read this book.
If you want to revisit or discover a classic this format is the perfect way. I can’t tell if it’s loyal to the original but it was nice. I’m not a big fan of classics but like this, in manga I think it’s a good way to get to know them.
Really enjoyed this manga version of a classic Charles Dickens novel. Even though I have read the original and knew what happened in the story, this creative and visual twist made me more invested in the plot than the original. If you want to read classics, give this series a try!
I never expected to read classics in manga format, but this was such a fun read! The illustrations were detailed and the book read exactly like a manga, so I was very happy. Though the reading and writing style was different from the classic form of Great Expectations, the manga still had most of the original taste to it. I look forward to reading more manga like this one!
Thank you to NetGalley and UDON entertainment for approving my request to read and review Manga Classics Great Expectations by Charles Dickens.

I have read a few of the Manga Classics and have found them to be a great way to visit classic favorites. I love the art style and I think this is a fun way to read and/or be introduced to such wonderful stories.
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens is one of many classics that I have not read. So this was my first time reading this story and while I can't compare it to the original, I can say that I thoroughly enjoyed reading this and have added the original to this year's to-be-read list.
This story has romance, mystery, rags to riches, loss, characters that you'll love, and a plot that holds your interest to the end.
I highly recommend this book!
I don't think this particular story does well in a manga adaptation. I love Charles Dickens' Great Expectations but in this format, I found it to be rushed and boring in places. I think somebody who has never read the original work will still enjoy it and that's why I like these Manga Classics. They introduce readers to those intimidating classics. The art is wonderful, too. However, if you already have read the original novel, this manga isn't worth your time.
Manga Classic: Great Expectations
By: Charles Dickens, Nokman Poon, Crystal S Chan, and Stacy King
4.0 / 5.0

I have never read the original work, so this review will be short. I could understand the story very easily and I enjoyed my time reading it. I read it in about 3 hours, which beats trying to read the original work. Reading it the way manga is supposed to be read took a little getting used to, but it was easy and second nature after you got the hang of it and in the swing of reading manga.
	If you are having difficulty understanding Charles Dickens, this would be great to read alongside the original work. It will help understand what is going on in the novel. It will probably help a lot of high schoolers who are having a difficult time in English class. Overall, I enjoyed reading it and will definitely try to read more manga.

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Manga-Classics-Great-Expectations-Softcover/dp/1927925312/ref=sr_1_2?crid=MTRKIOD3VWLT&dchild=1&keywords=manga+classics+great+expectations&qid=1592158446&s=books&sprefix=Manga+classics+grea%2Cstripbooks%2C144&sr=1-2

Barnes and Noble: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/great-expectations-dickens/1125511099?ean=9781927925317

This review will appear on my blog on July 23, 2020.
Dickens's Great Expectations was already one of my favorites and I am so glad to say that this manga did it justice. I loved the illustrator's take on the characters and seeing how they interacted with each other. The dynamic differences between the different settings were so beautiful to look at. I loved seeing one of my favorites come to life. I would recommend this to anyone trying to get into the story of Great Expectations or, like me, wanting to see a beautiful rendition of the classic tale.
I remember having to read great expectations for university and finding iy quite boring but I loved this manga adaptation! I won't talk about the story as everyone knows it at this point, but I loved how it was told quick to the point, and I loved the illustrations. These books would be a brilliant way to introduce children to classic literature!
From the moment I started reading on my own, I wanted to read Great Expectations, because since I was a teenager, I was obsessed with the movie directed by Alfonso Cuarón, and in which Ethan Hawke and Gwyneth Paltrow were the perfect Finn/Pip and Estella respectively. To me it was a love story that didn’t end up well and it seemed more realistic that those RomComs everybody seemed to love.

So, back in 2015 I tried reading the book, but I never finished it. The Spanish translation wasn’t really good and it seemed that it would be one of those classics I’d hate. So, I just let it be. I mean, Dickens is known for his stories, and I knew that at some point, I would try to finish it, perhaps in another edition.

Earlier this month, I found that there are Manga adaptations of several classic books and I was thrilled. Manga is a format that is easier to consume and so, I gave Great Expectations another chance.

Fortunately, from the very beginning I was drawn to the story because our young protagonist never had it easy. He was an unschooled orphan, and the only friend he had was Joe, the kind blacksmith, his sister’s husband –I mean, not even his sister treated him good.

But one day, Phillip, aka Pip, has a life-changing event: he meets a prisoner that just escaped, and he helps him by giving him bread, despite being terrified of him.

Just around the same time, he meets Mrs. Havisham, one of the wealthiest person in the little town he lives. The thing is, the woman is a little bit crazy since she was abandoned by a man who she thought was the love of her life. Ever since, she became a wretched existence filled with hatred and jealousy of those who experienced true love.

Estella, her adopted daughter, was the same age as Pip, and so, Mrs. Havisham had them play together, for her own amusement. Pip liked Estella, and thought she was never kind to him, he just liked her for being pretty and unreachable.

And so, as they grow up, he never stops feeling that attraction towards her and he even dares calling it love. Still, Estella always treats him bad, like he will never be worthy of her. Her poisonous persona is the result of Mrs. Havisham’s own broken heart but none of them seemed to realize this until they’re adults.

On the other hand, there is someone interested in Pip’s growth: this anonymous person hires a lawyer so Pip can be taught about manners, economy and ultimately, how to be a gentleman instead of the apprentice of a poor blacksmith.

Now, as you can imagine, Pip develops his potential, but in the process, he forgets about Joe and his sister, who later suffers and attack that ends up in her death. Pip basically wants to erase his past, all the things that made him embarrassing and not worthy of Estella (his obsession and idealization towards her are truly insane).

He grows into a gentleman of sorts and he eventually meets his benefactor but, oh, what are the odds that every character is connected to one another? They all have part in this story and they made me thing that life is full of ironies and bad jokes.

To me, Great Expectations is the story of a man that experienced the duality of people: on one side we have kindness from Joe, one of his friends and his benefactor; but on the other side, he experiences the obsession of unrequired love and coldness from the girl he’s ever liked.

This book left me with the lesson that you always affect the lives of the people around you, even when you don’t notice; and that one small act of kindness can change somebody’s whole world. That we have to learn from our mistakes and we have to open our eyes when somebody is just not into us. There is a lot of drama of course, but I really think that this classic is worth reading –at least the manga adaptation is.

I want to add that the artist made a terrific job portraying all the different shades and personalities of these characters. I really think Joe deserved the world, and we need more people like him in real life, whilst Mrs. Havisham is just deplorable, but hey, all villains have their own story to tell.

I would totally recommend you to read this in case you don’t feel like the original work might be for you. I promise you, this is so much better and far more entertaining.
Manga Classics are great books. I love seeing the manga reimaginings of these classics that make 'boring' classics accessible to new generations. Great Expectations has been brought to life again with lovely illustrations.
Just like the other Manga Classics I have read, this one was absolutely beautiful. I adore the art style, and it was a wonderful adaptation of the classic novel.
“It’s a wonderful thing to have Great Expectations!”

This tale tells the way a man can let fortune ruin him. How one could easily turn his back on his friends in the search for a better life. Pip has great expectations and he won't let anyone stand in his way. Not even the people who got him through his hard times.

I liked watching pip grow into a young gentleman. He had a good character arc. Friends came and went throughout his life. It was very realistic.

Like all the other Manga Classic the art was beautiful. This was a great adaptation of Dickens’ work
My Thoughts
I don’t have too many memories of reading the original, though I most likely did (almost a 99% sure I did) as a t(w)een. But having read the manga edition, I want to read it again, or at least, attempt to.

Here, the creators took the decision to have Pip narrate the story, and rather than pick any one of the two endings that Dickens himself wrote for this great story, the narrators of the manga version left it to the readers. I thought this was a wonderful way to end it, both for those readers who have read the original versions(both maybe) and for those who have not read the original.

As for the artwork, it is stunning (again)! I especially loved Joe’s portrayal, and the emotions and interactions between Joe and Pip are illustrated tugged at my heartstrings. Estella is beautiful and Miss Haversam is as scary-looking as she sounds.

Goodreads || Amazon || Book Depository || Barnes and Noble || IndieBound

Manga Moment
Each book’s artwork is absolutely beautiful and the adaptation as well as the storytelling is brilliant. I love that each of them include details on the adaptation process at the end (rather the beginning) of the book which help the reader understand the choices the creators made, as well as get an insight into the process itself.

These books make the classics more approachable for those who were hesitant to read them, and will definitely want them either reading more or reading the originals. And I feel either reaction from the reader is good.

If a book leaves a reader wanting them to read again, then it has done its job! And these books manage to do that while leaving the reader (me included) with a blissful feeling of satisfaction of having seen and read something beautiful.

I now look forward to getting the physical copies of these books (definitely the Poe one) as well as to reading more in the series. And yes, to trying to emulate the adaptations – both text and artwork – myself.
<a href="https://www.ladyinreadwrites.com/">Check my blog - LadyInReadWrites - for more reviews</a>
Disclaimer: Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for the digital RC of the books; these are my honest opinions after reading these books.
This may be the first time I have been introduced to Dickson's famous tale of estranged love and mystery. Pip has such innocence and likeability as a child, which made me love this character deeply as if he was my own son. But for Pip to fall in love with cold-hearted Estella over Biddy baffles me; I suppose I get the charm of unattainable Estella and why she is an unfortunate character as the others, but she is so unlikeable that Pip's love for her is pure lust and it really lowers his likeability. He becomes so obsessed with his "love" for her that he loses his prior self, which was a personality I loved and cared for. The surprise of Estella's purpose by her warden was genius but I actually guessed quite early on; the reveal of her parentage, however, seemed overdone, but this complaint is not directed at this artist in any way. I am actually grateful for the artistic direction they went with the romantic aspect of the relationship at the end, which I shall not spoil but it felt right to our characters
Thank you Netgalley and Udon Entertainment for this copy!

I enjoyed reading this adaptation of Great Expectations! I read the original novel in the past and I liked this manga as much as the original. The artwork was beautiful and the pacing was done well! I liked how the plot was entertaining and fast. I'd definitely recommend reading this manga if you're curious about reading any of Charles Dickens' works!
I really loved this adaptation although there were'nt so many different details as in the origibal book.

I'm a big fan of Charles Dickens. I read most of his works and watched every single movie or TV series adaptations. So, when I bumped into this manga I couldn't help but dive into it! The illustrations are really amazing. It was cool reading about this character and seeing their faces and expressions.
This manga is true to the story and gives it justice. Mannga Classics does really a very good job.
It's really an amazing product and a good and innovative way to discover or re-discover this impactful classic.
This is my first reading of Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. The manga adaptation was of this book was entertaining to read. I had previously read the Manga Classics of two of Jane Austen's books, Pride and Prejudice and Emma, and had enjoyed not only the classic story but the new format.

The same was with Great Expectations. The art was unique and enjoyable and followed the story well. There were customs of the time period Great Expectation was set in that the manga did not show or follow, which was a little confusing.

The main character, Phillip Pirrip or better known as Pip, was born to humble circumstances and was raised by his sister and brother in-law. He idolized his brother in-law, wanting to be a blacksmith like him. Pip meets Estella, a girl near his age, and wants to be a gentleman instead.

The relationship between Pip and Estella was not my favorite part of the book. She was cruel to him, but it was explained away as she was taught to be this way. Still, even after the cruelty was dished out time and time again, Pip still spent time with her and eventually fell in love with her.

Pip's bad habits with spending money was also a hard part for me. I suppose it was showing that he now can buy the world, thanks to specific plot events.

I liked the new format, along with the art style. There were some plot elements that I didn't like but it was great to learn about England before or during the pre-Victorian era. I received an ARC from NetGalley for a honest review.
I recommend this adaptation to everyone who wants to read Great Expectations. It’ll save you a lot of time compared to the original and you won’t miss out on much.

Great Expectations is not a great story to begin with. It’s a fairly predictable plot that revolves around a bland protagonist. I never cared about Pip, or his so-called love for Estella (why does he even like her? Her only character trait is being mean), or the various side characters and their subplots.
This version cuts out all that filler and we get only the meat of the story. The artwork is beautiful and paints the scene in such a way that it heightens its emotion and tension. It’s certainly an improvement on the original, but, in the end, it’s still tied to it.