Cover Image: Manga Classics: Great Expectations

Manga Classics: Great Expectations

I had never read Great Expectations before, but this manga was really nice and made me wondering what would the original novel look like, I hope that I will manage to read it soon and like it as much as I liked this story which is a CLASSIC that I regret is not in the curriculum here...
My second manga in this series and I am afraid I enjoyed Jane Eyre much more.
The art style in this one is equally stunning but sadly the story itself was not for me.

Great Expectations provides you with a lot: mystery, strange characters and romance and while I enjoyed certain aspects of it in the end it just was not enough. The ending was left open in the Manga which I actually prefer and made me give this book 3 instead of 2 stars.

If you like Great Expectations you will also enjoy the Manga and if it is your first time reading it I still recommend this edition. It is quick and easy with beautiful artwork.
I enjoyed this manga version of the classic story. It was a fun way for a new generation to learn about the classics.
The cover looks beautiful and the colors match perfect with art style. Its too bad i cant load it read it since my tablet doesnt let it load
This was a DNF. I had some issues with the file, but I think the artwork is simply gorgeous. Overall, a wonderfully crafted book.
Great Expectations starts out when Pip, the main character, is a young boy. He is sitting by the grave of his parents when a stranger bound in chains comes along and demands Pip give him his food. Then he has Pip agree to bring him more food and a file so that he can remove his chains. This single event changes the whole of Pip's future.

Charles Dickens never disappoints when it comes to interesting characters. Pip is a kind, gentle boy, with large ambitions. His sister is fiery, his uncle gentle, and Estelle, the daughter of the mysterious Mrs. Hibbins, is a puzzle unto herself. Each of the characters were created like puzzle pieces, each one to fit snuggly in a specific way around Pip.

While the plot is similar to many of his other works, like Oliver Twist, in the sense that it is a rags-to-riches story, it is still different enough to be compelling. I know from experience that sometimes when it comes to writing out plots, there are certain kinds of plots that you want to explore from all angles, and since a story can only end one way, it's fun to make up another story that is similar, with a different, more satisfying and/or dramatic ending. And Great Expectations didn't end exactly as I thought it would.

Once again, the artwork of these manga books is just wonderful. The sweeping, gentle illustrations in scenic pictures always lends the story an air of historical essence. I can't help but enjoy each and every picture on the pages.

Manga Classics: Great Expectations is a fun and fascination read paying tribute to the original classic.

I Rate It: 4 1/2 stars

NOTE: I received a complimentary copy from the publisher through NetGalley for review purposes only. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Thanks NetGalley for this ARC in exchange for an honest review.  So, I loved this so much more than the actual novel.  Of course its the same story, but the visuals were beautiful and I enjoyed it in the Manga format.  It's definitely one I would recommend for those who enjoy a classic with a bit of twist.  Excellent, clear artwork, absolutely a winner!
Enjoyed so much this manga, I`ve always wanted to read the actual book but never got to do it because of the style and now in manga format it was so much easier and enjoyable! The drawings were so well done and expressive!
I love being able to read the classics in this form! I love reading but sometimes it hard for me to read the old English. This makes them so much easier to read and actually know the classics! I had heard about this of course but never really knew it. After reading this graphic novel I have learned that I do not really like this story. It just seemed choppy and the author had ideas but didn’t know how to put them together and just decided to one night. I saw deeper meanings but the craziness of the story covered them up. All in all it was ok but I’m okay to not want to look into it more.
Great Expectations (Manga Classics) art by Nokman Poon, 294 pages. GRAPHIC NOVEL
Udon Entertainment, 2015. $14.
Language: PG (4 swears, 0 “f”); Mature Content: PG; Violence: PG13
BUYING ADVISORY: HS - OPTIONAL
AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE
An orphan living with his older sister and brother-in-law, Pip can’t seem to do anything right. He’s summoned to the home of the richest lady around to entertain her and her adopted daughter, which plants Pip’s desire to be more than a poor boy -- Pip wants to be a gentleman. When an anonymous sponsorship suddenly becomes available to him, Pip has to take the opportunity and leave the only home he’s ever known.
This classic adaptation was difficult for me to follow, which might have been because so many details were left out. The time skips felt choppy and disorienting as I was yanked from one big conflict to the next without enough explanation to help connect the dots between events and purposes. I am disappointed that I was not able to improve my understanding of the characters in this story as much as I have been able to with the other classics in this series. While I enjoyed the illustrations in this manga classic as much as the others I’ve read, the story was not as enlightening to read.
Reviewer: Carolina Herdegen
I have a complicated relationship with Great Expectations mainly because I don’t enjoy the original story but enjoy many adaptions across multiple medias. The adaptation has beautiful artwork and I felt the art style did the story justice in terms of showing all the drama and ugliness involved. The only true complaint I have is that I felt the story went on forever. I know Great Expectations is a fairly long story, but, even for a manga, I felt like it was rather long. However, it did stick to the main points relevant points of the story.
I had heard a lot about Great Expectations, but since I'm not a huge fan of classics I stayed away. This Manga classic has inspired me to go read the original story. The artwork is so beautiful. I can't say whether there was any change in the storyline, as I haven't read the original. I enjoyed this a lot. Looking forward to read more Manga classics
I definitely enjoy these manga adaptations of classic works. I'm pretty sure I've read all of them at this point and this one was definitely well done.
The Great Expectations is my favorite book of all time! This Manga edition was a wonderful foray into the book. I enjoyed it so much. It managed to condense the story without missing anything vital, and garner the same emotions I felt reading the book. 5 Stars. I am so happy I read this!
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions expressed in this review are my own.

I absolutely adored this story. I've never read the original Great Expectations by Charles Dickens so I can't speak on if this is like the original or not. However, I will say this had a little bit of everything romance, mystery, betrayal and secrets. It is an all around awesome read. The artwork is wonderful and detailed. It's a pleasure to look at and admire.
Manga version of the classic book, had fun reading it. I hadn't read the classic or did read it but it has been so long since I did I didn't remember. So getting the manga version to read was good way of getting into this world.
I did not enjoy Great Expectations when I had to read it as a student but reading it as a mange was truly enjoyable. This is a great way to introduce classics to people who would otherwise never consider reading them.
*~.Book Analysis.~*
Just remembering that those were my impressions and opinion as a reader :)

Rating: 5 stars
Reading period: Sept. 24th, 2019
Format: ebook
Source: NetGalley – I have received this copy in exchange for an honest review.
Release date: May 20th, 2015

PROS
Great Expectations made justice to its name and snatched my wig. This is one of the classics that I haven't had the opportunity of reading yet, but I deeply loved this manga. I honestly never got interested in this book on its original version, but after seeing how much action, adventure and wisedom it has, I'm not looking foward to it.

CONS
I honestly can't think of a single flaw on this adaptation.

COVER ANALYSIS
To be honest, the cover attracted me to this manga. I loved the color work, the mystery and the greatness [haha] of it.

RECOMMENDED FOR
Manga, Comics and Classic lovers!
This is the fourth graphic novel of a classic book I have read by UDON,  And each of them is wonderful.  I went into Manga with no knowledge and so I want to say two things here.  1.  You read from what a western reader thinks of as the last page and you read the right page top to bottom, then the left page top to bottom.  I got used to this quickly, though doing this on a digital copy was a little frustrating at times.   But other readers who are new to Manga should know this.  2.  The artwork has a very specific look to it and that look works very well for some characters, but less so for others.  For example, Pearl in The Scarlet Letter was very cute and childlike.  And the Count in the Count of Monte Cristo was perfectly drawn.  However, I liked the characterizations of Pip and his supporting cast a bit less.  They felt too modern and it distracted me from the story.

What I love most about these books though is that I believe they have the ability to expose young and new readers to classic literature.  I feel these books feel more accessible due to the format, and I am hopeful that perhaps some of these readers will eventually turn to the original texts.  That is a big win!

3.5 stars for this one.

Thank you to Netgalley, UDON and Stacy King for the digital ARC in exchange for my honest review.
Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for an advanced copy of this book in return for my honest opinion. Well, here it is:
I had great expectations (see what I did there lol) for this one after reading the manga version of Les Miserables. Unfortunately, this one did not quite meet my expectations. It was a great story, but I think the authors/illustrators choose a book that is hard to put into only 300 pages in a picture format. I guess I was spoiled by Les Miserables.