The Steep and Thorny Way

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 08 Feb 2016

What an... interesting retelling of Hamlet! While this book had clear parallels to Shakespeare's play, Winters definitely adds her own twist to the tragedy and it makes for an intricate reimagination and I adored every bit of it!
It is no question that I adore novels written by Cat Winters. Her plot always speaks to me, and I always find my heart wrenched out of my chest upon finishing. This novel was no different and yet it was resonating in a different way. Cat Winters doesn’t shy away from the tough topics and in this novel she takes on many prejudices that we still face today.

Winters writes in a way that really transforms your reading experience, the setting is vibrant and you fall in love with the characters so that when they are hurting, so too are you. It was enraging and heartbreaking to read of the cruel mistreatment that these characters – and so many people daily – must face.

I found this to be a very important and resonating novel. I loved the nods to Hamlet, the mystery, the relationships, and the hard truths. It was another brilliant novel by Cat Winters filled with intrigue, strong women, issues relevant to the past and present, and beautiful relationships of all kinds. Definitely recommended.