Cover Image: South of Sunshine

South of Sunshine

Overall found the story cute and enjoyable. Although some elements didn’t feel very authentic (the way homophobia was portrayed for example).
The lgbt element is the only bit that holds it together I felt. That part was written quite well, but I felt that the rest of the story was very weak. and just. really boring.
I’m so annoyed at myself for putting this book off for so long! Was it the best book I’ve ever read? No. Was it the best LGBT book I’ve ever read? No. But it definitely made me think. It’s insane to think how different the world’s mindset was just a few years ago. I didn’t grow up in the south, but I did grow up in an unaccepting small town.

All these years later, looking back on my closeted high school experience all I want to do is scream at myself to be myself! Myself, as well as an incredible amount of other people I grew up with, have since moved away from that small minded town and decided to embrace being apart of the LGBT community.

Obviously not everyone has that opportunity. And obviously not everyone will have the same experience as Kaycee, but these things happen every day. Even now that the world can seem more accepting. If anything, this book opened my eyes to the fact that the world is still growing.

Not everyone will be as accepting of those who are “different”, but it is also up to us to educate and spread awareness that being gay, bi, trans, etc is not a sin and not disgusting or something to frown upon. It is people living their truth and best life, and why should we ever let someone else rain on our pride?
The writing in this book is so unappealing to me. It is unique by adding the LGBTQ community into a book. Although it is true with the fact of slut-shaming and biphobia, the story moved so slow. I also feel like it overdid the concept.
First things first, this book didn’t grab me quickly. Things didn’t pick up until about halfway through. The build up was slow and the finish a bit too fast.

All throughout the book, the references to small town Southern mentality cliches about race and sexuality made me mad. I’m guessing that was the point so I’m not saying that it’s a bad thing per se. I’m pretty open minded and I guess I know these things happen, but still they make me angry. Kudos to any author that can make me have emotional reactions…happiness, anger, or otherwise.

The story was okay. Not life changing or anything. I think it had a few too many cliches in it. The characters weren’t as deep as I had hoped. I had a girl crush on Bren (I can’t lie), but I didn’t quite care for Kaycee (the MC). I liked Van and I want to be his friend!

It’s a sad reality that some people’s religious beliefs prevent them from being open to the idea that love is love so I like that this novel addressed that. But still something was lacking for me. I don’t know that I can articulate exactly what was missing, I just know it didn’t feel complete.
I really enjoyed the book when I read it! Would recommend it.
Although it is better to be inclusive, this might not be the best book for someone in this situation to read. However, it has been added to our collection.
I loved this book. I love the idea of southern hospitality and knowing that life is not easy, coming out is definitely easy but when you decide to take chances and live your life that in the end, it's all worth it. I loved this book, it was such a good read, I could not put it down.
Thank you for the opportunity to read and review. Unfortunately I am unable to give you a proper review. I apologize for the inconvenience.