Truly Madly Guilty

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 30 Sep 2016

I quite enjoyed this book, although I thought the first half was far too slow. I'd like to have seen the 'reveal' of what happened sooner so I could get more into the meat of the book quicker.
This is not the type of book I normally enjoy, but it ended up being one of my favorites.
The author leaves you in suspense for much of the book as to what happened on that one fateful night. What could have possibly happened at a friendly barbecue that has caused such pain and strife for these families, these individuals?
By providing the reader a view into the minds of the various characters, the author has allowed them to see the unfolding story as it is seen through the filter of those character's lives. This also prompts the reader to reflect on their own life and the people they may not have taken the time to previously consider what baggage carry. The author is masterful in juggling multiple, intertwining story lines which includes many flashbacks.
What a deliciously written, skillfully paced novel! Readers are blessed with characters that are absolutely beyond compelling and the plot sticks with you even after you're finished. Will be reading again!
A strong title of realistic fiction for adults.  This isn't generally a genre of much interest to me, but Truly Madly Guilty kept me reading, despite being perhaps a touch longer than absolutely necessary.  Changing perspectives between characters and time in each chapter keeps the reader on their toes and engaged and the ongoing suspense of what actually happened at the barbecue is enjoyable.  The characters are nuanced – real humans who are deeply flawed yet likeable.  But what makes this title really shine is the ending which manages to feel both surprising and resonant with every aspect of the plot, a truly masterful achievement.  When the twist comes, it feels like getting that blessed straight piece in a game of Tetris, with a cascading series of story details suddenly clicking into place.  I would recommend this title to most public libraries, particularly for readers who appreciate complex characters and shifting perspectives.
This is by far one of the most popular books in our library.  Thanks to early access, I was able to buy plenty of copies to keep up with demand!
Another excellent story from Liane Moriarty. It started a little slow for me, because she kept referring to a barbecue where something happened, and you don't know what that was until halfway through the book. However, she does her usual good job of creating realistic, fully-dimensional characters that I cared about, as well as some interesting and entertaining children. I listened to most of this as I love hearing the Australian accents, and the reader did a particularly hilarious job when the children were speaking.