Cover Image: The Girl Before

The Girl Before

No more books for me  with "girl" in the title

There are too many stories that are actually stories that have already been written and published before

I have got to do better
Suspenseful and edge of your seat drama.

Thanks to the publisher for the ARC. I read the paperback.
This  was my first JP Delaney book and won't be my last, the way the story twists and turns is a page turner.  To read that this will be a movie---how exciting!!

Thanks to Netgalley for the opportunity to read  this!
I think the plot was good and the story definitely kept my interest. I normally would have given it five stars because it was a book I found hard to put down. I gave it three stars because the sex scenes were too graphic.
This book was a wild ride. I read it a few years ago and ended up reading it in just a few days! It was interesting to see how both Jane and Emma's journey in One Folgate Street unfolded. It isn't what you think!

I just reviewed The Girl Before by JP Delaney. #NetGalley
I received a copy from the publisher via Netgally for an honest review.

This book was even better than I had expected! First, I love how this novel is written from two different points of view and at different times! It's also quite interesting looking at two women and their relationships with the same man. One always thinks when they are in a relationship that they do wonder how their partner was in previous relationships, so it's rather neat being the outsider looking at these two relationships.

I definitely have to say, from personal experience, this novel resonated with me concerning being in a very controlling relationship which is absolutely abusive, and how it was handled for each of these women.

This novel is back and forth between Emma's point of view, Then, and Jane's point of view, Now. Both women have gone through different traumatic situations and are trying to heal from them and want a new place to start over and they are introduced to One Folgate Street. An amazing new modern home that is an architectural masterpiece and a show of minimalism in life and how well one can live in this manner. However, living in this amazing technological home comes with rules and is made to transform the occupant to become and understand the life of a minimalist as well. However, the house also comes with a history that one would not expect and both these women are intertwined into a scary path that no one would expect.

An exceptional novel that was quite enjoyable and I can't wait to see what else the author has to come in the future!
Another book I was excited to read that turned out to be a disappointment. I really enjoy books that have alternating chapters from each character, but this was just weird. Halfway through the book, it turned into Fifty Shades of Grey when one of the characters called her lover "daddy." I trudged through it just to see how it would end. Hope the movie version is better.
I've read dozens of thrillers, but this one got me.  Great style and story.  Could not put it down!  Will be a wonderful recommendation for the library book club kits.
What an amazing book! And such an well told and unusual story, Great characters, including the house. I struggled to put this book down, and was completely shocked with all the twists and turns. .
Not really my type of book, it was a mix between The Gone Girl and Fifty Shades of Grey. They latter being not to my liking. Not crazy about this one. Not sure I would recommend. Thank you for the ARC
I am sorry for not reviewing fully but I don’t have the time to read this anymore. I believe that it wouldn't benefit you as a publisher or your book if I only skimmed it and wrote a rushed review. Again, I am sorry for not fully reviewing!
Solid, suspenseful domestic thriller.  The story begs the reader to answer questions regarding why we are so willing to cede control to those who seek to manage our lives, preferences, individual rights.  Why do we at times so easily forfeit our right to our Self in the name of comfort or security, when doing so tends to lead to neither?
3.5 out of 5 stars

First we meet Emma and Simon, Emma is recovering from a trauma which we find out later isn’t what it seems, in more than one aspect. Looking for a safe haven after a break-in, they find One Folgate Street, a minimalist (to say the least) home with A LOT of rules.  After convincing Simon that they should apply, they are approved and move in.
Then we jump forward in time and meet Jane. Jane has also suffered a personal tragedy and is looking for a change. After meeting the architect/owner, she becomes the new resident at One Folgate.
As the book jumps back and forth between the stories of the two women we learn that Emma died, unexpectedly in the home. The women share many similarities, not only in appearance and Jane becomes concerned for her safety as well as her sanity.
What exactly happened to Emma and who can Jane trust?
This was a good thriller that kept me guessing as to who was responsible (I was wrong several times!). My biggest problem is everyone was unlikable. I had a very hard time feeling bad for either of the women. Yes they were both flawed, for different reasons but they had few redeeming qualities. It wasn’t a bad read and I have read several others by this author (and will continue to), just be prepared to hate everyone.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for a review copy
I wrestled with this book for quite some time, with several false starts. But after finally picking this up again, I read it from cover to cover in about a 30 hour period. And now I have to say that this isn't your ordinary murder mystery, more like a romantic duel between an architect and the two women who are tenants in his ultra-modern home. The house takes on a menacing role akin to the Bates Motel -- and you are never really sure (until the ending) who is ultimately behind its threats to its occupants. The two women occupy the place at different time periods, so the novel seesaws back-and-forth between their respective POVs. And normally I don't like these alternating chapters kinds of books.
By the end you understand what is going, who was controlling whom in each of the relationships, and the murders ultimately solved. But it is a fascinating journey along the way, if you can get started past the first few chapters. I highly recommend this book.
This book sat on my shelf for a long time. It had a TON of hype. And I'd say I let it go past the point where it became over-hyped. It was a decent story, decent thriller, sure. But give me a Pekkanen/Hendricks or a Pinborough over this anyday and I'll thank you. Again, not a bad read at all. Just doesn't stick out to me as something I'd recommend. Thank you to the publisher for the opportunity to read and review.
I have picked this book up several times and tried again when I heard JP Delaney had a new book coming out. But no matter how many times I try, I don't think it's the book/author for me.  I love thrillers, but for some reason this one made me feel uncomfortable.  While I will give this a 1 star rating because I just didn't like it, I won't be posting a star rating or my review on Goodreads or any other platform because I feel that is unfair since I did not finish the book.
This book had so much potential but fell just a bit short

Maybe it was just me, but the alternating points of views were a bit confusing to keep up with, I had to go back and check a few times to remember which character I was reading about.
 It was still a super quick read, but I'm just disappointed it didn't turn out to be an amazing book, because the premise was so intriguing.
The Girl Nefore features two women, Emma (Before) and Jane, (After). They both move into a glass architectural designed home to live but they must abide by the rules of the architect. Jane begins finding secrets out about Emma and beware the many twists!
I liked this book because it kept me guessing, and flawed characters with secrets are totally my thing. Delaney did an amazing job of slowly revealing key pieces of information about each character. Near the end, I started to feel that the twists and turns would never end, which isn't a bad thing--but it got to be long for me. Even the title is a twist! I would read this author again.
Wow this got really, really dark.  It took me a llloooooonnnngggg time to get into this book.  When you start a book with nothing but unlikable characters, it's really hard to want to continue on with them.  Eventually it becomes more like a character study, or experiment and you can't look away.  This author is quickly becoming the leader on my list of supreme plot twist authors.  Everytime I think I know what's happening & where it's going, everything stops and reroutes itself.  I found myself yelling at the radio in the car when I was driving, listening to the audio book.  It was like screaming at your quarterback or something.  I was both reading & listening because at a certain point I couldn't be without the story so I read when I could and listened when I couldn't.  Very interesting plot, one I wouldn't have thought would work, but actually worked really well.  I can't give much plot description because that would give too much away and then there'd be no point in reading it.  Just read it!